Author Topic: Davis VP2 Plus 6163 and VWS - Newbie again...  (Read 3649 times)

Offline WeatherAnomaly

• Pinellas Weather
Davis VP2 Plus 6163 and VWS - Newbie again...
« on: October 15, 2008, 09:41:59 AM »
Hey all

Looks like I'm a newbie all over again. My new VP2 just arrived and I have it mounted now. I'm switching from my 4 year old La Cross over to the Davis so I have a few questions. I have the Davis Instruments 6510SER  Data logger with WeatherLink. The Data Logger is hooked into a an Envoy (6316). I also have a 6332 VP2 Anemometer Transmitter Kit. So looking at the VP Console I have the ISS running on station ID 1 and the Anemometer Transmitter Kit running on station ID 2. The VP Console sees everything just perfect. Now...getting it to run and dump the data to my server.

I'm not sure what really needs to be done next. I have VWS running but it cannot see the COM 1 port. I also have WeatherLink loaded up. I'll assume they are fighting each other for COM1? Questions:

Do I need to have WeatherLink running with VWS?
Do I just run VWS and uninstall WeatherLink?
Does VWS become the interface to the Envoy in place of WeatherLink?

I used to know my way around the old forum very well and until I come up to speed here I feel like a stuck pig in a pen.....reeeeeet! reeeeeet!

Thanks in advance all!
Charley
-The National Weather Service is one of the "few" US Government operations (US Department of Commerce) that give every American a "tangible benefit" for their tax dollar.

Offline Curly

• Forecaster
    • Michiana Weather
Re: Davis VP2 Plus 6163 and VWS - Newbie again...
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 11:23:22 AM »
Hey Charlie,
Congrats on the new station!

I'm not sure what really needs to be done next. I have VWS running but it cannot see the COM 1 port. I also have WeatherLink loaded up. I'll assume they are fighting each other for COM1?
You're correct.
You can either run VWS or WL, but not at the same time. However, you can run both at the same time if you use VirtualVP because it allows both programs to access the data.

Do I need to have WeatherLink running with VWS?
Do I just run VWS and uninstall WeatherLink?
Both programs are independant so neither one requires the other program.

Curly

Offline WeatherAnomaly

• Pinellas Weather
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 01:43:43 PM »
Thanks Curly. Now for a follow question. I have not done so yet but....can I just change the station?

VWS / Communication / Communication / and change the WX from La Cross to Davis Pro ? Or does anyone know if I will need to do a re-install of VWS?

and yes, I will back up my 4 years of data first...:)
-The National Weather Service is one of the "few" US Government operations (US Department of Commerce) that give every American a "tangible benefit" for their tax dollar.

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 02:51:13 PM »
Yes, you can just change the station. Then, do a restart of VWS.

Bob
www.theamericanflagstore.com - The American Flag Store

www.nhweatherdata.com - NH Weather Data

Offline WeatherAnomaly

• Pinellas Weather
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 03:19:50 PM »
Thanks Bob. I did just that and I'm up and online! Hurray! I deleted my calibrations and then noted something. I'm still poking around as the options have changed since the communication is now listed a Davis.

1) Is there a place where I can do a reset on the entire VWS?
2) My anemometer is not connected to the ISS but rather it is connected to the Transmitter kit and the Envoy is reporting no Wind and the Direction is N. I have this set up in the Davis Console as station ID 1 and 2 and the readings are normal...wind speed changing and direction fluctuating. ID 1 being the ISS and ID 2 being the Transmitter Kit. So my question is where to set this up for the Wireless Transmitter kit in VWS?

Offline mmorris

• Forecaster
  • Hope your day is full of sunshine
    • Weather and Racin
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 07:14:06 PM »
Thanks Bob. I did just that and I'm up and online! Hurray! I deleted my calibrations and then noted something. I'm still poking around as the options have changed since the communication is now listed a Davis.

1) Is there a place where I can do a reset on the entire VWS?
2) My anemometer is not connected to the ISS but rather it is connected to the Transmitter kit and the Envoy is reporting no Wind and the Direction is N. I have this set up in the Davis Console as station ID 1 and 2 and the readings are normal...wind speed changing and direction fluctuating. ID 1 being the ISS and ID 2 being the Transmitter Kit. So my question is where to set this up for the Wireless Transmitter kit in VWS?

There is no place to setup the wireless Transmitter kit in VWS if you Console is setup right then the data comes from the console and VWS doesn't know that you have a separate Transmitter kit for the anemometer.

>>Miles<<  By from Portage Lakes, OH.
Been using VWS since 1996 Ver# 14.01P43
Wireless Vantage Pro2Plus Serial Data Logger, Anemo Tran Kit
Win XP, Firefox, WXSIM, Cumulus, NexStorm, Yawcam, VVP, BadBlue Web server, Quake Catcher Net
Follow me on twitter
Vietnam era Veteran USAF bb loader
Quadruple Bypass survivor

Offline WeatherAnomaly

• Pinellas Weather
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 08:32:26 PM »
OK, then that would tell me that I need to use WeatherLink to set up the Davis Envoy? And then the Envoy, once configured properly, would recieve the two station signals?

Offline mmorris

• Forecaster
    • Weather and Racin
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 09:56:39 PM »
OK, then that would tell me that I need to use WeatherLink to set up the Davis Envoy? And then the Envoy, once configured properly, would recieve the two station signals?

In weatherLink look in the drop down in setup for Set Transceiver and mine say:
Station No1 is the ISS
Station NO2 is   Wind

Then click on ok.
That is all I had to do. Now I have the VP2plus and that is where my data logger is sending data to VWS your Envoy should be the same if that is where your data logger is. You may want to consider doing the walkthrough under the setup menu to setup you Envoy if that option is there for you to do.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 10:09:25 PM by mmorris »
Win XP, Firefox, WXSIM, Cumulus, NexStorm, Yawcam, VVP, BadBlue Web server, Quake Catcher Net
Follow me on twitter

Offline WeatherAnomaly

• Pinellas Weather
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 10:07:31 PM »
Bingo! That was it. Thanks so much for the help. Now I can work with the Davis unit and learn all the new features it has.

Offline mmorris

• Forecaster
    • Weather and Racin
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008, 10:12:02 PM »
Bingo! That was it. Thanks so much for the help. Now I can work with the Davis unit and learn all the new features it has.

Good deal. I was up editing my last post glad I could help out..
Follow me on twitter

anything