Author Topic: Advice on 'simple' programming language for me to use to input data from Com por  (Read 2192 times)

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
With the advent of Arduino and Raspberry devices, I've seen or sensed an even more steep decline in the availability and use of tools to allow one to use their own Windows based computer to interact with the world.

I used to program for a living, but most of those languages are now in museums and behind glass.  Learning FORTRAN, ALGOL, COBOL, Assembler, well those pretty much disappeared with the advent of the PC and then even more of a loss when Windows came along and prevented folks like me from getting to the hardware.  The last serious programming I did on a PC was the use QBASIC to read, display and store data from my Heathkit ID-5001.  Several attempts to use Visual Basic were not pleasant.  I used FoxPro, which was a great data manipulation tool, but not to input anything except from the keyboard.

Enough lamenting.  Despite all the announced efforts to get kids interested in programming, and I think the very inexpensive things like Arduino help a lot to teach the how and why, I'm interesting in using my Win 7 or eventually Win10 based machine to do what our software packages, like Weather Display and others, to actually read data from the USB to Com port adapter and then do a little manipulation, and then write the info to a file that Weather Display can read and use, just as if Brian had written a custom interface from my station to his software.  He, in effect, has done that by allowing one to put a file filled with the data string onto the hard drive and his universal station interface basically reads and does his magic with it, rather than selecting something like a Davis, Vaisala, etc.

So now knowing what I wish to do, I'm hoping someone can advise me as to a programming language, sort of like old QBASIC or Visual, that is affordable, will produce an executable that will allow me to read the USB port (interface drivers in place to do the details of course) and write a text file as my home station provides the data for WD.

Thoughts?  Suggestions?  I know things like  php scripts can do a  lot (Saratoga anyone?) but that essentially is running a web page and is far from what I need to do.

Thnaks for any thoughts or leads.  Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
Dale, this might help you. It uses VB (VBscript)

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/c9fef85f-949f-4f5f-8639-26205607fbce/how-can-i-read-data-from-the-serial-port?forum=vblanguage

At first VB looks difficult but it is quite easy once you get the hang of it.
Use Notepad++ as the editor and set the Style Configurator to VB/VBS under Settings
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 01:01:39 PM by dupreezd »
Davis VP2 6163 | WiFi Logger
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Don't overlook Node Red at https://nodered.org/ (watch the 5-min video, plus plenty more on Youtube).

It may not be quite what you had in mind but absolutely worth exploring. It's powerful, runs on most platforms including Windows and, dare I say, even a little fun. Serial port reads can be done with a single node.

You'll probably need to learn some Javascript if you don't use it already, especially to work with the function node, but JS is probably the #1 scripting (and much more) language that anyone should learn today.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 01:24:45 PM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Nodered uses Node.js.  Absolute resource hog in Windows.  I'd look at Python.  Lots of weather stuff already written in it. Easily extensible.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
NR runs well even on a Raspberry Pi - can't be that much of a resource hog. 8-)
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Go load Preyproject.org location software on a duo core Windows and get back to me.  Besides no one expects a Pi to be fast.  And node.js ain't gonna help!  BTDT
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline droiddk

• Forecaster
I'd look at Python.  Lots of weather stuff already written in it. Easily extensible.

+1

Regards