Author Topic: New Weather Software  (Read 64521 times)

Offline Josiah

• Add-InWx Software Author
  • Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
Re: New Weather Software
« Reply #100 on: July 24, 2014, 01:44:21 PM »
I am getting the CRC error with my Davis VP
here is no error log file

Thanks for letting me know.

The "Error_Log.txt" file gets saved to the same directory as the .exe for the program.

I've just uploaded a new version. Could someone check to see if this works?

Thanks

Offline Josiah

• Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #101 on: July 24, 2014, 02:25:02 PM »
Status of the update,
So In my attempt to get the CRC working I set it where if the data from the Console did not pass the CRC check then my program wouldn't process it any further.
I've just changed that so it will still do a CRC check on the data string and process the data whether-or-not the data string passed the CRC check. Doing this will keep the program usable with the Davis WX Stations while still allowing me to work on data integrity verification.

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #102 on: July 24, 2014, 03:10:58 PM »
It is working and no error.

But,    It will not accept changes      I tried to change my elevation and turn on CWOP.     When I click apply changes the screen drops out and it appears to be doing something but the changes are not there when it comes back up.

another glitch.   Sunrise sunset is way off. it is showing 08:30    10:22     when it should be more like
05:30      7:21

It will not send CWOP data using my callsign  unless I enter a passcode  in other programs I can enter-1 and it goes thru.  Not a big deal.

Offline Josiah

• Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #103 on: July 24, 2014, 04:08:39 PM »
Beaudog,

It won't except changes... hmmm...  :-k  I had to add more items to the Station settings file for the Station Elevation. I wonder if that's effecting it. If you haven't already, try restarting the program, If that doesn't work, try deleting or moving the settings files. Let me know what happens.

Sunrise Sunset times are way off. Fixing that is on my todo list. I need to have my software get the time offset for the local time. Right now I've got it defaulted to -4 which is the offset for here. Thanks for bringing it back to my attention.

Offline dean.martin

« Reply #104 on: July 24, 2014, 10:34:15 PM »
Jos,

I think CRC Check is still not working. I still see bad data in Humidity (255%) temperature(-17.8 ) and Barometer (-589.5). But the elapsed time since last data was received from the station is now updating which is good. =D>
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 12:37:51 AM by dean.martin »

Offline Josiah

• Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #105 on: July 25, 2014, 09:38:07 AM »
Jos,

I think CRC Check is still not working. I still see bad data in Humidity (255%) temperature(-17.8 ) and Barometer (-589.5). But the elapsed time since last data was received from the station is now updating which is good. =D>

Right now I've got it setup in such a way that even if the data from the Console does not pass the CRC checking it will still get processed. This is because I wanted to get the CRC checking part working while still keeping the program useable. It may not make much sense until you look at how the CRC checking is done. Basicly it applies an Accumulator on each byte of the data and the CRC code sent from the console. How I can tell if its working is, If the Accumulator returns a 0 then the data has passed the CRC Check, any other number and it failed the CRC Check. So if the Accumulator is always returning something other than a 0, then I know there's a problem with my code.

Are you (or anybody else) getting any "CRC Check failed" messages?

« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 09:40:56 AM by Josiah »

Offline Josiah

• Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #107 on: July 25, 2014, 01:41:22 PM »
I am no longer getting the crc error

That's good to hear.

So, once I switch it back to where if the Data from the console does not pass the CRC check it won't process it further, that should take care of data integrity between the Console and PC. The next step is going too be in handling the connection between the Console and ISS. This could be accomplished easily if Davis set their Consoles to output the signal strength from the ISS in the LOOP packet. When I get a chance I'll look into this. (I've had several things come up that I have to take care of. I might not be able to do much programming until like Monday. :( )

But,    It will not accept changes      I tried to change my elevation and turn on CWOP.     When I click apply changes the screen drops out and it appears to be doing something but the changes are not there when it comes back up.

Is it taking setting changes again?

It will not send CWOP data using my callsign  unless I enter a passcode  in other programs I can enter-1 and it goes thru.  Not a big deal.

Just saw this, sorry.
CWOP uses a separate set of passcode protected servers for those using their callsign. I've setup my program to look at the first 2 letters in the UserID to determine which set of servers to try to upload to. Basically it works like this, If the UserID starts with a CW EW or DW then it uses the normal servers, otherwise the UserID is assumed to be a Callsign and it attempts to upload to the passcode protected servers dedicated for HAM use.

One other thing,
For those who have it uploading to CWOP, Does the Barometric Pressure look like its adjusting for the Elevation properly?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 02:21:05 PM by Josiah »

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #108 on: July 25, 2014, 04:49:52 PM »
The barometric is way of it is showing 1202  for me right now and it should be more like 1019

N4DMS  0.0   00:00:00:13  94 5 9 134 0  0 22 1202.3
DW1254  0.0  S 00:00:02:24  93 4 8 66 0  0 24 1019.4

Also there are random data sends that are way off  (spikes)

Offline Josiah

• Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #109 on: July 25, 2014, 05:12:04 PM »
Beaudog,

Is the displayed Barometric pressure in my software correct?

The random data sends being way off is something that I'm working on. When I mentioned the Data Integrity between the Console and ISS, that's what I was referring to.

Offline Josiah

• Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #111 on: July 25, 2014, 06:21:53 PM »
OK,
Thanks

So I've just uploaded a new version.
I've reset the CRC checking so if the Station Data doesn't pass the CRC check it won't get processed.

The Data integrity checks between the Console and ISS are going to take a little longer. Looking through the documentation provided by Davis it doesn't appear that a connection status between the ISS and Console are output in the LOOP packets. So I've sent Davis an email to see if I can get any information from them. It may be awhile before they reply though.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 06:35:18 PM by Josiah »

Offline Josiah

• Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #112 on: July 27, 2014, 04:15:43 PM »
Hey guys,

I was able to get some time this afternoon to work on my software and since I'm still waiting for information from Davis on a couple of things I decided to use the time to look at the Barometric pressure Correction for Altitude that CWOP wants.

I've triple checked the formula that I'm using to make the Barometer correction, and it looks right. However I would like to put more data through it just to verify and compare it to what other software is doing. Could a few of you guys send me the Displayed Barometric Pressure, Station Elevation (ASL), and the Barometric Pressure that's being uploaded to CWOP by another program (ie Cumulus or whatever else you use)?

Thanks in advance.

Also, are you still getting random bad data?

[EDIT]
This is an interesting comparison between Barometric Pressure and Altitude: http://www.sablesys.com/baro-altitude.html
[END EDIT]
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 04:54:37 PM by Josiah »

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #113 on: July 27, 2014, 05:17:06 PM »
I think this has everything you ask for

This might be useful   http://www.softwx.com/weather/vppressurecalc.html

Where it is showing 10.20   yours is still showing 1204. way high.

I am still getting crazy high temp spikes

Offline Josiah

• Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #114 on: July 27, 2014, 06:12:25 PM »
Beaudog,

Thanks for the link!

Based on your station data, my formula is coming up with 30.157. That's a lot closer than it was earlier.

Where it is showing 10.20   yours is still showing 1204. way high.
I've done some work on the formula and have it running in a separate program just to make it easier to test and debug. That's why my software is still calculating it way to high.

I am still getting crazy high temp spikes
Thanks for letting me know. That confirms that the CRC checking is only good at handling poor connections between the PC and Console. Next step on that is going to have to wait for Davis to respond to my email. Right now I could start writing code to try to handle that, but I want to wait to see what Davis suggests.

Just curious, how frequently are you getting these temp spikes?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 06:35:25 PM by Josiah »

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #115 on: July 27, 2014, 06:48:20 PM »
Beaudog,

Thanks for the link!

I don't know I only run it for 30 minutes or so just to see if it works   but it spiked in less than that    I would have to try and watch it which is kinda hard.

Offline Josiah

• Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #116 on: July 27, 2014, 07:06:09 PM »
Beaudog,

Thanks for the link!

I don't know I only run it for 30 minutes or so just to see if it works   but it spiked in less than that    I would have to try and watch it which is kinda hard.
Don't bother watching it, unless you really want to. I was wondering more out of curiosity's sake than anything else.

For anyone out there,
Do you happen to know if the Barometric pressure output via the Serial or TCP on the Davis Stations is the raw Station Pressure or if its corrected for temp, humidity and elevation?
Because I was just noticing a comment for the "VP SL Pressure" in the "VantagePro Pressure Calculator" that Beaudog linked stating that "This is the pressure reported by the Vantage Pro Console. It is a temp/humidity/elevation adjusted sea level pressure.". Can anybody confirm this?
[EDIT]
It looks like the output is user selectable.
I just found a forum post that answers my question: http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=19787.0
It also answers the next question I would've had.
[END EDIT]
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 07:36:07 PM by Josiah »

Offline Josiah

• Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #117 on: July 27, 2014, 09:31:07 PM »
So I'm pretty sure that I've got the Altimeter calculation for the CWOP uploads working correctly.  \:D/
Its calculating it based of the Raw station pressure which adds another complication. I need to figure out how to calculate the SLP (Sea Level Pressure) from the raw station pressure or need to figure out how to 'reverse calculate' the SLP output by the Console to get the raw station pressure.. ugh... The later would not be the best option.

Reading through forum threads in the CWOP Topic, It looks like the problem I've encountered with the Barometric Pressure uploads to CWOP is not anything new. It appears that CWOP is really the oddball when it comes to what they want the Barometric pressure adjusted to.

Status update,

I've uploaded a new version
Version [1.2]

So I've decided to set the barometric pressure for the CWOP uploads to use whatever the Console is set to output until I get this figured-out.
I've also combined the Heat-Index and Wind-Chill into the same box. The program will switch between the Outside Temp, Wind-Chill and Heat-Index as appropriate. The label will also update to show which one its currently displaying. (I did this because I wanted to free-up some space in preparation for adding the UV-Index and Solar Radiation. Also, you never need the Wind-Chill and Heat-Index at the same time anyway, so I figured this was the best way to go.)
I've fixed the Sunrise Sunset times so now they adjust properly for the local time offset.

Offline griffo42

• Contributor
    • Carina Weather
« Reply #118 on: July 28, 2014, 01:18:09 AM »
Josiah

Here are 3 pages from my David VantageVue handbook re Barometric Pressure.  Hope it helps you.

Best wishes

Keith Griffin

Brisbane, Australia
https://www.kstwx.net/index.php
Davis Vantage Pro2 Model #6152AU
Cumulus latest version
Saratoga Weather World template Cumulus plugin
Carina Weather, Brisbane.

Offline Josiah

• Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #119 on: July 28, 2014, 08:46:15 AM »
Keith,

Thanks, Those help to confirm that the output from the Console can be set manually.

Offline Josiah

• Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #120 on: July 28, 2014, 10:26:54 AM »
Now this is really helpful. http://www.softwx.com/weather/uwxutils.html
It contains all the formulas I need to work with the Barometric Pressure output by the Davis Consoles. And then some.. Whats more is that its source code, which means that all I need to do is convert the needed portions to the appropriate programming language. of course I'm still going to figure out how the formulas work.  :grin:

My days of digging around on the internet have finally paid off.
Thanks Steve Hatchett at SoftWx, Inc!!!

=D> =D> =D> \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #121 on: July 28, 2014, 10:31:27 AM »
AKK You beat me to it.

Gobble de gook to me but may mean something to you.

Utilities by the author of VPLive   and Virtual VP   As I read it it gives formulas that he used to write VPLive.    I think the first one contains the barometer formulas.

http://www.softwx.com/weather/vptools/uwxutils.zip

Offline Josiah

• Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #122 on: July 28, 2014, 10:52:16 AM »
Wow,
That's really helpful as well.
That's the source code files that were used to create the webpage I linked.

Thanks!

Offline Josiah

• Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #123 on: July 31, 2014, 03:24:39 PM »
Hey guys,

I've been busy getting ready for a couple of HAMfests this weekend so I haven't had much time to get programming done. Fortunately, I was able to scrounge some time here-and-there so here's another update.

I'm still waiting to hear back from Davis in regard to the random bad data problem. I do have an idea on what might be causing it though and if they still haven't responded by Monday or Tuesday then I'll start implementing it.

Version [1.3]
Changed a Few miscellaneous things relating to whats displayed.
Fixed the Dewpoint Uploads to Weather Underground.
Added the Solar Radiation and UV Index to the display.
Fixed the Altitude adjusted pressure for CWOP uploads. (New Formulas) Special Thanks to Steve Hatchett From SoftWx for the use of his Code Snippets.
Fixed a Bug in the "Tomorrows" Sunrise/Sunset times.

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #124 on: July 31, 2014, 03:56:56 PM »
I can not get to connect I get this error.

At Data Processing  7/31/2014 12:52:53 PM
CRC Check Failed. CRC=33768 Data String=LOO�  mt,+ � ���������������5�������  ��  �� �,      �������                  -|

LOO�  mt,+ � ���������������5�������  ��  �� �,      �������                  -|

LOO�  mt,+ � ���������������5�������  ��  �� �,      �������                  -|

LOO�  mt,+ � ���������������5�������  �� 
LOO                -|

-|

anything