Author Topic: One thing about New Mexico...  (Read 204206 times)

Offline neondesert

• Forecaster
    • http://www.neondesertweather.com
Re: One thing about New Mexico...
« Reply #650 on: July 20, 2011, 11:39:55 PM »
We're dealing with thunder and humidity up here...swamper sucks today.

Your swamp cooler would have been in heaven here today...

Low dew point -12.3 °F  Average 18.6 °F
Low Rel Hum 1%           Average 8%
Larry
"But it's a DRY Heat!"

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #651 on: July 21, 2011, 02:32:23 PM »
Larry, you need a new keyboard. Yours keeps kicking out a '-' in front of all your Dew Points...  :roll:

:mrgreen:

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit
www.LasCruces-Weather.com   www.EastMesaWeather.com

Offline neondesert

• Forecaster
    • http://www.neondesertweather.com
« Reply #652 on: July 21, 2011, 02:49:11 PM »
Larry, you need a new keyboard. Yours keeps kicking out a '-' in front of all your Dew Points...  :roll:

:mrgreen:

Yeah, I'm starting to feel like I live on the moon!  #-o

They're telling us that the water vapor may be returning by early next week.  We shall see.
Larry
"But it's a DRY Heat!"

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #653 on: July 21, 2011, 03:39:33 PM »
Radar is stationary. By that I mean the storms are just sitting over an area with no particular interest in moving. (and the Las Conchas burn scar flooded out yesterday, and is flooding out again today)

-----------------------------------

Went out to hang with friends this afternoon...went to drop them off when it started pouring. One of them had class at CNM...the road was flooded. My truck hydroplaned (but thankfully I didn't wreck.)...

Good news is, the truck got washed free of sand and dirt...
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 08:17:01 PM by Chris H. »
Weather in Rio Rancho, New Mexico:

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #654 on: July 21, 2011, 11:31:06 PM »
My local wx thinks that tropical off the west coast of Baja will fuel some good storms for us this weekend.

I watched the rain fall in every direction today. Storm clouds everywhere I looked except here.

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit

Offline TNETWeather

• Kevin Reed (KrelvinAZ)
  • Senior Contributor
  • Davis Vantage Pro2+ with full FARS
« Reply #655 on: July 21, 2011, 11:51:08 PM »
It is supposed to do the same for us, though you will most likely get a lot more of it than we do.
All you need is Time, Aptitude and Desire ... and you can build just about anything...

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #656 on: July 22, 2011, 12:12:24 PM »
DPs are reading high today...as is the humidity (pant pant pant). More rain this afternoon. Yay!  \:D/

Offline casa manana

• Senior Contributor
    • Sedona, AZ
« Reply #657 on: July 22, 2011, 12:16:01 PM »
still dry in Sedona.  We seem to be just off the left edge of the moisture flow, darn.

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #658 on: July 22, 2011, 12:53:44 PM »
Chris - a short, local article about the fires up your way:

LOS ALAMOS - Officials say land managed by the U.S. Forest Service was hardest hit by the largest wildfire in New Mexico history.

Teams with the Burn Area Emergency Response program have been analyzing impacts and threats from the Las Conchas fire. It has charred more than 244 square miles since being sparked June 26 when a tree fell on a power line.

The teams released a list Friday of the acres burned in each jurisdiction.

Nearly 79,000 acres within the Santa Fe National Forest were burned. More than 30,000 acres of the Valles Caldera National Preserve were also charred.

The fire burned across 21,650 acres belonging to Jemez, Santa Clara and Santo Domingo pueblos.

Bandelier National Park had more than 20,800 blackened.

By Friday, crews had contained 85 percent of the fire.

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #659 on: July 22, 2011, 03:15:04 PM »
Chris - a short, local article about the fires up your way:

LOS ALAMOS - Officials say land managed by the U.S. Forest Service was hardest hit by the largest wildfire in New Mexico history.

Teams with the Burn Area Emergency Response program have been analyzing impacts and threats from the Las Conchas fire. It has charred more than 244 square miles since being sparked June 26 when a tree fell on a power line.

The teams released a list Friday of the acres burned in each jurisdiction.

Nearly 79,000 acres within the Santa Fe National Forest were burned. More than 30,000 acres of the Valles Caldera National Preserve were also charred.

The fire burned across 21,650 acres belonging to Jemez, Santa Clara and Santo Domingo pueblos.

Bandelier National Park had more than 20,800 blackened.

By Friday, crews had contained 85 percent of the fire.

Good to know that it's almost contained. The burn scar though is flooding out big time this week.

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #660 on: July 22, 2011, 08:19:38 PM »
Just caught a quick story of how your ash has washed down into the Rio Grande and is floating thru my area. The river is blackish.

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #661 on: July 23, 2011, 11:05:09 PM »
It's disgusting up here. No threat to anyone but fish.  #-o

I was in Santa Fe today cleaning up a house (some people's children... :roll:) when one crack of thunder and the skies start dropping quarter sized hail and 55 mph winds...then torrential flooding.

Rio Rancho saw zip today.  ](*,)

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #662 on: July 24, 2011, 11:26:23 PM »
Saw a good 25 minutes of downpour in Rio this afternoon. Now north valley, Albuquerque is getting rain...and so is Double Eagle II airport.

Soaker for sure coming up this week.

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #663 on: July 25, 2011, 03:12:53 AM »
Had one today that showed some promise - nice big drops, decent & steady but only amounted to 0.01" in the bucket. Looked like it dumped everywhere around me... again.

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #664 on: July 26, 2011, 03:32:28 AM »
Watched storms fall apart from 7 PM to 1 AM tonight. Watched the heaviest rain fall around 1 AM over the Sandia's...and blow through Albuquerque..but it completely missed Rio Rancho.  :roll: ](*,)

And if you're wondering why I'm up that late...I had to go fix someone's computer around 7, went to the mall for a couple hours, and then just drove all over the place for three hours...and ate Sonic. So I'm going to bed now.

Offline wxtech

• Weather Equipment Technician
  • Forecaster
  • USAF Weather Equipment Maintenance Tech (retired)
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #665 on: July 26, 2011, 07:39:19 AM »
Watched storms fall apart from 7 PM to 1 AM tonight. Watched the heaviest rain fall around 1 AM over the Sandia's...and blow through Albuquerque..but it completely missed Rio Rancho.  :roll: ](*,)

And if you're wondering why I'm up that late...I had to go fix someone's computer around 7, went to the mall for a couple hours, and then just drove all over the place for three hours...and ate Sonic. So I'm going to bed now.
I'm envious.  If/when I ever get back to Albuquerque, I'll eat at Sadies. 
Can you believe living in a place (Georgia) where folks don't know about green chile?
Al
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #666 on: July 26, 2011, 09:10:10 AM »
Watched storms fall apart from 7 PM to 1 AM tonight. Watched the heaviest rain fall around 1 AM over the Sandia's...and blow through Albuquerque..but it completely missed Rio Rancho.  :roll: ](*,)

I'm envious.  If/when I ever get back to Albuquerque, I'll eat at Sadies.  
Can you believe living in a place (Georgia) where folks don't know about green chile?
Al

ha ha, let them bite into one once and they won't forget for the rest of their life! I have a pretty high tolerance for spicy food and my Thai father-in-law slipped a "hot" chili in on me once. I thought the roots of my hair melted! Sweat poured out of me! :lol:

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #667 on: July 26, 2011, 09:28:32 AM »
That's jalapenos.  Chile can be hot or not.  New Mexicans use green chile as we use lettuce on hamburger.
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #668 on: July 26, 2011, 09:53:19 AM »
Well, New Mexico might be where the expression "Fire in the hole!" came from. Can't imagine their digestive tracks. ;)

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #669 on: July 26, 2011, 09:59:04 AM »
My wife got a a major digestive problem consuming rice and peppers from sidewalk vendors in Bangkok.  I know Thai food is hot also.  Famous for the peppers.

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #670 on: July 26, 2011, 11:34:43 AM »
That's jalapenos.  Chile can be hot or not.  New Mexicans use green chile as we use lettuce on hamburger.
   I recently saw this on one of Gordon Ramseys shows.  It was amazing.  My eyes were burning from watching her.  Found this article about her.

For some spice lovers, jalapeno-laden hamburgers just won't do. Take Anandita Dutta Tamuly, a 26-year-old woman from Assam, India, who set a Guinness world record last week when she consumed 51 of the world's hottest chile peppers in only two minutes. She also rubbed 24 of the same chile peppers in her eyes over the span of one minute.

Overseeing the feat with a watchful eye was none other than chef Gordon Ramsay, who was in India filming for a British TV program. The reality show host and restaurateur could only consume one of the peppers before screaming for water. Measuring in at 1 million Scoville heat units, the bhut jolokia is known to the be world's hottest known chile pepper (jalapenos, in comparison, contain roughly 2,500 to 8,000 Scovilles.)

A single seed from this pepper is known to cause puffy, watering eyes, a runny nose, and a burning sensation that may last for up to five hours. So how did she manage to defy the laws of nature? The mother of one explained:

I have been eating bhut jolokia since my childhood and never felt the hotness in my mouth. When I was five, I had a sore tongue and my mother applied a chili paste to cure the infection. Since then I developed a penchant for chiles. To be honest, I barely notice them now.

I'm shocked to hear that this record was humanly possible — especially considering the tragic death that occurred last year after a UK man consumed too much spicy sauce. What do you think of the stunt: is it amazing, or simply incredibly foolish?

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #671 on: July 26, 2011, 11:35:21 AM »
Well, New Mexico might be where the expression "Fire in the hole!" came from. Can't imagine their digestive tracks. ;)

The State Question is "Red or Green?"

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #672 on: July 26, 2011, 11:38:52 AM »

Overseeing the feat with a watchful eye was none other than chef Gordon Ramsay, who was in India filming for a British TV program. The reality show host and restaurateur could only consume one of the peppers before screaming for water. Measuring in at 1 million Scoville heat units, the bhut jolokia is known to the be world's hottest known chile pepper (jalapenos, in comparison, contain roughly 2,500 to 8,000 Scovilles.)

MILK! Not water - milk!

Tho' at 1 million, I don't think anything could help at that point!  :shock:

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #673 on: July 26, 2011, 12:03:31 PM »

MILK! Not water - milk!
Tho' at 1 million, I don't think anything could help at that point!  :shock:
   I agree milk but my Grandma would always make us eat bread.  We had peppers in the garden and I was always wanting to eat one........ ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)  Out would come the bread.  It helped but cold milk would have been nice too.

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #674 on: July 26, 2011, 01:47:33 PM »
Milk acts as a detergent. My parents raised me on jalapenos, green chile and fiery salsa when I was a baby to clear my sinuses. Now I can eat most chili peppers (habaneros are...just a little too much for me...and I will never try that 1mil scoville chili!!!) without an issue.

Like seriously, if I go to a sandwich shop, I put everything hot on my sandwich. Some of the employees think I have an iron stomach.  :grin: