Author Topic: One thing about New Mexico...  (Read 205221 times)

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
Re: One thing about New Mexico...
« Reply #575 on: June 28, 2011, 06:01:27 AM »
Water is becoming an issue down here as well being it's held in the aquifer. No rain to recharge is a bad thing. And as far as the river, it supplies a lot of farmland and I hear the pack on this side of the Divide isn't as rich as the Colorado River side. It still has to go by these other guys before I see it.

It's not so rare as to be starting resource wars yet but these farmers are getting pretty vocal about the lower allocations.

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit
www.LasCruces-Weather.com   www.EastMesaWeather.com

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #576 on: June 28, 2011, 06:05:44 AM »
... and speaking of Vegas - I thought I transported back there for a moment. 4AM and 86 degrees? That's ten degrees higher than my all-time 'Highest Low'!

I didn't sign on for this stuff!

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #577 on: June 28, 2011, 07:22:19 AM »
June 27 2011 - The township of Los Alamos has been evacuated.

Medical center - Closed

Ron

What a mess ... http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43558540/ns/weather

Offline archae86

• Senior Contributor
    • LynxStoll weather
« Reply #578 on: June 28, 2011, 12:46:25 PM »
What a mess ... http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43558540/ns/weather
That article is not very accurate on background
the laboratory site, home to the nation's largest supply of nuclear weapons.
is only true if you regard the design location as "home".  I think plenty of people reading that would think it said "current storage location of ..." which it is not.  Now my house, on the other hand, is less than ten miles from a place which HAS been among the nation's largest storage sites for nuclear weapons, for decades.

Back to the helicopter water topic, I've got two tidbits.  The NM Fire Info Los Alamos update for this morning specifically mentions
Water tanks at the Lab’s wild land fire helicopter landing pad are re-filled in preparation for today’s firefighting activities.

Second, for a bit more view of what the portable tanks of two types can look like in actually use, look at pictures on this flikr page which is pointed to from NM fire info, which I think somewhat official.  These pictures are not from the current incident, but do represent wildland firefighting, including helicopter operations. You can see there a brief video of an S-61 sucking up water from a temporary field tank, then climbing away.  This S-61 is configured to suck up through a (big) tube, which takes a bit longer to fill than does the dipping bucket technique when that one works well.

All this mainly to say that no, you don't want to fly off to a lake many miles away, not if you can find or arrange an alternative.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 04:01:16 PM by archae86 »

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #579 on: June 28, 2011, 03:58:29 PM »
Hey Pat,
    The caption on this picture says "K-Max Aerial Support Helicopter flying low over Las Cruces, NM in June".  Looks like it is sitting on the ground to me but you may have seen this one flying in your area.
   Mark

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #580 on: June 28, 2011, 06:26:37 PM »
No, I've never seen that one Mark. It/they may have been flying over the Organ Mountain fires that we had earlier. I know I saw one of the fire planes flying over the Abrams Fire.

I'm not in any flight paths, thanks to the neighboring installations, so when I do hear something overhead, I always check it out.

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #581 on: June 28, 2011, 07:48:01 PM »
After an over-nite low of 82.2 - 6 degrees higher than my previous highest low, I'm in a cold snap! 102 for the high today. WU reported 'Normal' is 93.

Low teens for HUM and mid-30s for Dew.

Offline neondesert

• Forecaster
    • http://www.neondesertweather.com
« Reply #582 on: June 28, 2011, 07:53:36 PM »
After an over-nite low of 82.2 - 6 degrees higher than my previous highest low, I'm in a cold snap! 102 for the high today. WU reported 'Normal' is 93.

Low teens for HUM and mid-30s for Dew.

Sure Pat, go ahead and brag about your nice comfy cool and damp weather while we here in Vegas suffer!  :grin:
Larry
"But it's a DRY Heat!"

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #583 on: June 29, 2011, 06:45:44 AM »
Somewhere in the middle of us is where I would like to be. Right now, at 83 with humidity pushing 30% and a mid 40s Dew, I'm sweating like a pig working on the car in the garage.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #584 on: June 29, 2011, 06:51:53 AM »
You're working on your car in the garage at 4:45AM?  Problems before getting off to work or just couldn't sleep? :-P

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #585 on: June 29, 2011, 07:30:55 AM »
No work here. I've been a bum since 2003. Too hot during the day to be doing it and I had a bunch or running around to do then. Got to let it cool down  :lol:

Actually, just finishing up. Figured I would throw a timing belt, water pump, cam and crank seals, etc at it in case I actually do make it out of town this weekend. It was all due anyway and I'm one of those guys that details every part I take out before they go back in. Keeps it pretty!

I had suspected that the idler bearing in the timing belt loop was going and sure enough - feels like a 1960s metal wheel roller skate.

Still 81 degrees and HUM & DEW both rising with 3 - 5 MPH breezes.

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #586 on: June 29, 2011, 02:06:48 PM »
By the way, this thread is one year, three days old. How did I miss that one?

Weather in Rio Rancho, New Mexico:

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #587 on: June 29, 2011, 04:28:00 PM »
Especially being that you started the thread! Shame on you!

(I didn't notice it either)

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #588 on: June 29, 2011, 09:51:58 PM »
Oh well...I'll probably forget next year too.  #-o

One thing is different from last year...last year we were seeing rain...this year, we're seeing dust and heat.

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #589 on: June 30, 2011, 12:11:57 AM »
You know someone's worried when you read stuff like this:

----------------------------------

LOS ALAMOS - The government sent a plane equipped with radiation monitors over the Los Alamos nuclear laboratory Wednesday as a 110-square-mile wildfire burned at its doorstep, putting thousands of scientific experiments on hold for days.

Lab authorities described the monitoring as a precaution, and they, along with outside experts on nuclear engineering, expressed confidence that the blaze would not scatter radioactive material, as some residents feared.

"Our facilities, our nuclear materials are all safe, they're accounted for and they're protected," said lab director Charles McMillan.

The twin-engine plane, which can take digital photographs and video as well as thermal and night images, was sent to New York City to take air samples after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. It has flown over wildfires and areas damaged by Hurricane Katrina. It monitored the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City. It also helped locate debris from the disintegrated space shuttle Columbia shuttle.

"It can look for a wide variety of chemical constituents in a plume and the plumes can originate from fires, from explosions, from a wide variety of sources," said lab spokesman Kevin Roark.

And in a testament to the sophisticated research done at Los Alamos, the plane was developed with technology from the lab, the desert installation that built the atomic bomb during World War II.

The pillars of smoke that can be seen as far as Albuquerque, 60 miles away, have people on edge.

The fire has also cast a haze as far away as Kansas. But officials said they analyzed samples taken Tuesday night from some of the lab's monitors and the results showed nothing abnormal in the smoke.

Anti-nuclear groups have sounded the alarm about thousands of 55-gallon drums containing low-grade nuclear waste - gloves, tools and other contaminated items - about two miles from the fire. Lab officials said it was highly unlikely the blaze would reach the drums, and that the steel containers can in any case withstand flames and will be sprayed with fire-resistant foam if necessary.

Kevin Smith, site manager for the National Nuclear Security Administration, said the lab's precautions have been scrutinized by dozens of experts. The lab has been shut down since Monday, when all of the city of Los Alamos and some of its surrounding areas - 12,000 people in all - was evacuated. The fire has held up research on such topics as renewable energy, AIDS and particle physics.

"We have 10,000 experiments running at the same time," said Terry Wallace, science chief at the lab. "We'll have to do an analysis to see what's been affected and how it's been affected."

The plane is just one part of an elaborate air monitoring network surrounding the lab. The lab and the New Mexico Environment Department have dozens of monitors on the ground throughout the region. McMillan said four high-volume air samplers were deployed Tuesday and more were on their way Wednesday.

Some experts familiar with the Los Alamos lab said there is no reason to fear that flames will scatter radiation.

"The nuclear materials are secure," said Penn State University nuclear engineering professor Barry Scheetz, who has served on National Academy of Sciences nuclear review boards and has been to Los Alamos several times. "There's multiple redundancy in the protection of this material. It's not just laying out. It's not there so that a fire is going to disrupt it there and disperse it. The procedures that are in place to protect this material are tremendous."

He added: "The U.S. government, the Department of Energy, has spent literally hundreds of millions of dollars for scenarios that are so unlikely to occur that it is even ridiculous to think about."

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #590 on: June 30, 2011, 02:42:56 AM »
 :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I'm running. Now.

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #591 on: June 30, 2011, 11:06:11 AM »
   Didn't the Japanese say that there would be "no" problem with radiation spreading anywhere?!
   Mark

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #592 on: June 30, 2011, 12:16:33 PM »
After the two we gave them 66 years ago, I don't think I would trust their proclamation.

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #593 on: June 30, 2011, 12:18:42 PM »
WHERE DID IT GO?!

I swear, I had a 10% chance of precip in the long term but it's gone now.

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #594 on: June 30, 2011, 03:15:08 PM »
We're expecting dry base storms.

More of what we don't need.

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #595 on: June 30, 2011, 05:24:43 PM »
     Here is a link to some neat pics of the Los Alamos fires in New Mexico from the ISS, and satellites.
           http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/171052/20110628/nasa-space-images-new-mexico-fire-las-conchas.htm
     Mark

Offline Ugly Duckling

• Senior Contributor
  • __Darlin' Jill__
    • Maplewood - Omaha, NE
« Reply #596 on: June 30, 2011, 05:29:27 PM »
     Here is a link to some neat pics of the Los Alamos fires in New Mexico from the ISS, and satellites.
           http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/171052/20110628/nasa-space-images-new-mexico-fire-las-conchas.htm
     Mark

Impressive pics. Saw one on TWC

Many Happy Weather Changes,

Marci Anna

Davis Vantage Vue

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #597 on: June 30, 2011, 08:17:57 PM »
     Mark

Wow. That's pretty amazing. Pyroclastic clouds...

:shock:

Offline neondesert

• Forecaster
    • http://www.neondesertweather.com
« Reply #598 on: June 30, 2011, 08:34:17 PM »
WHERE DID IT GO?!

I swear, I had a 10% chance of precip in the long term but it's gone now.

Sorry, we stole it.   :sad:
Sunday
A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms after 11am. Sunny and hot, with a high near 112.

Sunday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 85.

Independence Day
Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 110.

Monday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 88.

Tuesday
A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 110.

Tuesday Night
A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly cloudy, with a low around 88.

Wednesday
A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 110.

Wednesday Night
A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly cloudy, with a low around 87.

Thursday
A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 109.
Larry
"But it's a DRY Heat!"

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #599 on: July 01, 2011, 12:23:03 AM »
We're showing those little isolated sprinkles here and there but mainly in the neighboring areas and mostly evaporating before it hits the ground. Still nothing in my local forecast but El Paso calls for the 10% over the next week.

The clouds are great tho' - nice to see and is keeping the temps down a bit. Only hit 102 today...

HUM in the upper 20s and DEW in the mid 40s - it's getting a little sticky.

anything