Author Topic: best SD card for High Definition Touchscreen Display  (Read 1906 times)

Offline snow755

best SD card for High Definition Touchscreen Display
« on: October 25, 2018, 07:40:18 PM »
hi  whats the best SD card for High Definition Touchscreen Display and what kind do i need too get?

Offline MacGarage

• SW Ohio
  • Senior Contributor
Ecowitt WH2320E
AcuRite Atlas

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
Re: best SD card for High Definition Touchscreen Display
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 08:27:23 PM »
This is what I've been using.  I was concerned the adapter might be an issue, but it wasn't.  My other unit has a $7.00 generic card from Fry's.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010Q57T02/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There really is no "best" card.  Just get something garden variety.  No need to spend a lot of money on it.  I would not pay more than $10.

Buying something too fancy might invite problems.

32 Gig is the max (way over-kill as that will store 30+ years of data).  However, don't buy a smaller card just because it is smaller.  Get whatever is priced to make sense for you.

No real need for speed, either.  Though the log is in 10-second intervals, the internal data buffer is written to the card every 20 minutes.  No high-speed video here.  I normally buy Class 10 cards, but I expect Class 4 would work just fine.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2018, 09:45:27 PM »
When it comes to cards and storage there is definitely such a thing as a "best" card as there is basically several tiers of technology, SLC, MLC and TLC and for reliability and life span nothing will pass a SLC which is not cheap but then what price do you put on your own data? SLC (Single Layer Cell) will cost around $25/Gb hence they don't really come in the larger capacities. 

Offline snow755

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2018, 11:50:11 PM »
hi  whats the best SD card for High Definition Touchscreen Display and what kind do i need too get?

am going too be getting the AcuRite Access for My AcuRite Remote Monitoring for my new weather station   so i  can track my weather on the  go and stuff

do i need  the  6-foot-mini-usb-cable  if i have the  AcuRite Access???

https://www.acurite.com/6-foot-mini-usb-cable.html

all so do you no if  the  new High Definition Touchscreen Display  have  firmware updates such  has software  updates  if so how do i get them ? would i need the  6-foot-mini-usb-cable too downloade any  firmware updates for the High Definition Touchscreen Display ???  the High Definition Touchscreen weather station  Display is like  a little  tablet or  computer  so would be nic too keep the software up too date

Offline SkellyCA

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2018, 11:55:16 PM »
No,you don't need a usb cable. The Access connects to you router via a network cable and I believe that comes with the access.

I don't believe the display needs updates.
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up to much room.

Offline snow755

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2018, 11:57:01 PM »
No,you don't need a usb cable. The Access connects to you router via a network cable and I believe that comes with the access.

I don't believe the display needs updates.

ok  thank you

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2018, 12:00:22 AM »

am going too be getting the AcuRite Access for My AcuRite Remote Monitoring for my new weather station   so i  can track my weather on the  go and stuff

do i need  the  6-foot-mini-usb-cable  if i have the  AcuRite Access???

https://www.acurite.com/6-foot-mini-usb-cable.html

all so do you no if  the  new High Definition Touchscreen Display  have  firmware updates such  has software  updates  if so how do i get them ? would i need the  6-foot-mini-usb-cable too downloade any  firmware updates for the High Definition Touchscreen Display ???  the High Definition Touchscreen weather station  Display is like  a little  tablet or  computer  so would be nic too keep the software up too date

You don't need the cable.

However, the display does a USB connector behind a removable panel at the bottom of the frame, but as far as I know it is "factory use only".

I don't know if they plan to do field display updates (they haven't in the past), but I suppose two possible ways they might do it are through that hidden USB port, or via a firmware image placed on the SD card.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2018, 09:07:29 AM »
I concur with MattK's comment.

When it comes to cards and storage there is definitely such a thing as a "best" card as there is basically several tiers of technology, SLC, MLC and TLC and for reliability and life span nothing will pass a SLC which is not cheap but then what price do you put on your own data? SLC (Single Layer Cell) will cost around $25/Gb hence they don't really come in the larger capacities. 

I had a problem with a "commodity" brand SD card that I used in my meteohub and a Raspberry Pi. Both lasted only about two years. There are a lot of data overwrites going on in both of these applications since it is also weather data.

The lower cost SD cards have multi-level memory. I replaced both of these SD cards with San-Disk and I have had no problems now for several years. I even bought a two-level "industrial" Panasonic SD card, anticipating that I would need to replace the card in the meteohub, but it is still in the package since the current SD card is still chugging along.

I would confirm that whatever you buy is compatible with the Touch Screen Display. Just stay away from the off-brand SD cards.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline Victoria

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2018, 05:48:14 PM »
Hello, Victoria from AcuRite here. I personally tested a large variety of card brands with the display and didn't really notice difference in performance, though I couldn't speak to how different cards would act after a longer period of time. One of the cheap cards I got was bad out of packaging, but that was the card itself. I can't remember which one it was, but it was one of those sketchy no-reviews listings on Amazon. I tend to think people avoid those when they can regardless, though.

Whatever card you use, as George mentioned, be sure it's 32gb or less. Additionally, make sure it's set to the FAT32 format. This is default for a lot of cards, but if you've used it in a different device before, there's a chance it might be in a different format and need to be switched.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2018, 07:17:56 PM »
With most storage technologies the time factor is a critical factor relative to continual data access. Storage is made/priced based on the number of expected duty cycles, a system continually reading/writing to a card will ultimately fail it, it's not a matter of if but when, some technology types will simply outlast and outperform others over time

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2018, 07:36:53 PM »
I have literally dozens of SD cards (don't ask) and I've started making a point of getting ones with a minimum 5 yr warranty - lifetime preferred.  The offbrands, and even some of the name brands, have 1-2 years.  Yes, you lose you data eventually, but at least you don't lose your money.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2018, 08:12:56 PM »
Once you have lost your data due to a failed storage, you are done, period, it doesn't matter how much the storage cost, the storage cost is minimal in the overall context of what the data may be worth, the value is in the data and it depends on what value one puts on the data, the storage/card doesn't have any material value what so ever. 

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2018, 08:25:59 PM »
The intent of the card in the Atlas display is to gather data which you can then copy over to your PC when convenient.

Since the internal log is only dumped every 20 minutes, that gives you a reasonable time to remove the card, copy the data, and then put it back without missing anything (or you could just swap cards).

It's not really intended for long-term storage... just a quick and easy way to get recorded data out of the display.

I imagine a number of people will just stick a card in and never mess with it until something interesting happens or they just get the urge to look at data.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 08:29:18 PM by nincehelser »

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2018, 09:19:19 PM »
....I imagine a number of people will just stick a card in and never mess with it until something interesting happens or they just get the urge to look at data.

I think many people fit into this category right across the board with storage requirements and data management

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2018, 07:26:38 AM »
Perhaps speed doesn't matter for a weather station. But if you are going to remove the card to read it or back it up on a computer, then perhaps the speed does matter so that you can get at the data faster on your computer.

For this reason I always try and buy the fastest memory card for my devices. Currently my favorite is the Samsung EVO Select SD memory cards. Within this line of cards the larger storage sizes the faster they are (biggest difference in write speed). Of course you'll need to stick to the slower 32GB in this case for your weather station, but it is still very fast as it is still rated Class 10 and U1 speed at 20 MB/s write speed and 95 MB/s read.

These Samsung cards are top selling and highest rated on Amazon. If you frequent any other forum for drones, or smartphones, or Raspberry Pi etc, you'll most likely see that this is a favorite with all those types of users.

Scroll down for the comparison chart between sizes.
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-MicroSD-Adapter-MB-ME32GA-AM/dp/B06XWN9Q99?crid=3K8INRLJQN397

« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 07:29:52 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2018, 09:11:26 AM »
Perhaps speed doesn't matter for a weather station. But if you are going to remove the card to read it or back it up on a computer, then perhaps the speed does matter so that you can get at the data faster on your computer.

Except for the practical fact that some higher-speed cards do not work properly in some slower devices, even though technically they should.

That's why I said "getting too fancy" can invite problems.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2018, 10:43:43 AM »
(This message post is not indended as a direct reply to anyone. Just posting for general knowledge feedback to the community)

A faster speed is not the compatibility issue. Rather it is the technology standard being used or file format or other problem (continue for details). Some cheap cards are sometimes not properly labeled or there are other quality control manufacturing issues.

There are are  4 technology standards for SD cards
SD (also  called SDSC) - up to 2 GB
SDHC - up to 32 GB
SDXC - up to 2 TB
SDUC - up to 128 TB

SDHC and SDXC are currently the most popular. The original SD (now also called SDSC) standard is pretty much antiquated now but may still be needed for older devices. SDUC was just introduced this year and I haven't seen anything use it yet.

You can see these and their logos here:
https://www.sdcard.org/developers/overview/capacity/

If you have a properly sized and correct technology type card and it doesn't work the other compatibility issue could be the file system formating used (FAT16, FAT32, NTFS, exFAT... etc.). So try reformatting the card using the supported format for the device. Lots of devices also prefer to do their own formating rather than another computer doing it, as some use non-standard formats often with accompanying files or hidden partions.

A card that is good reputable brand, properly type matched, formated with the supported file system, should work on any device requiring that standard regardless of it being a fast speed. Sometimes even after matching technology standard type and file format the problem is that the card is not fast enough (usually lock up or freezing or errors results). A faster card always helps and never hurts. Cards go bad too which is something to keep in mind. An identical card may work where one might have thought it wasn't compatible before trying a second identical card.

Usually a faster card does use a different technology standard. Two cards that are from the same manufacturer and the only thing that appears different is the storage size could really also have differences in technology standards. There are also a lot fake cards on the market. They have been hacked to report a larger size when you format or insert them. These fake cards sometimes are off brand or sometimes have reputable brand names but they are truly fake. Only buy from reputable sellers. Even Amazon has bad sellers sneak in.

Another issue in compatibility is the adapter used, or reader used. Sometimes people use an adapter that is not compatible or doesn't make good contact with a specific worn card. Sometimes people use a reader (USB adapter or like device) to access the card and the compatibility issue is that the adapter or reader is of older supporting technology.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 10:49:03 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2018, 11:04:54 AM »
All that and I didn't even mention speed ratings or speed types.

Here is the bad news. Speed in the industry for storage cards is loosely defined. First there was Class type for speed. There were labels like Class 2, 4, 6, or 10. But even with same class labeled cards from different manufacturers the speed could be very different. Mostly because the classes signified a range and the industry cheated here too. Because of this a new speed rating has come out for newer cards. We now have U1 and U3. There is also V6, V10, V30, V60, V90 but I've not seen those speed ratings used much. But even U1 and U3 is still vague. Most decent cards say both Class 10 and U1 (or U3) on them. Because of all this complexity I always look at the specific read and write speeds claimed by the manufacturer as a final specific benchmark. This is really even more complicated than I've spelled out. But this should be good enough information for most people. If I say more then I'll lose 99% of you in talking about real benchmarks and sustained speeds and wear leveling technologies...and much much more.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 02:45:35 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2018, 11:07:37 AM »
(This message post is not indended as a direct reply to anyone. Just posting for general knowledge feedback to the community)

A faster speed is not the compatibility issue.

Oh, oh.  We're being "taught" again.   #-o

I take you haven't experienced such problems.  As I said before, sometimes high speed cards don't always work properly in slower devices.

For example, I've run into the cases where higher-speed cards draw more power than the supporting device can handle, running into corruption problems.  These are issues not always anticipated by the specifications.  That's why we test and device manufacturers recommend particular cards that they have tested with.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2018, 11:13:59 AM »
If I say more then I'll loose 99% of you in talking about real benchmarks and sustained speeds and wear leveling technologies...and much much more.

:roll:

Offline snow755

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2018, 11:53:49 PM »
thanks every one i order me the   AcuRite  Access and order my 32GB SD card  and not weather rerated  but  i needed  to upgrade my ageing   cable modem  set up i have so i order  a Motorola MG7700 24X8 Cable Modem Plus AC1900 Dual Band WiFi  all in one has well  so my  shoping  for now is  done