Author Topic: low battery after a month and high temp show  (Read 1869 times)

Offline Zug

low battery after a month and high temp show
« on: April 12, 2015, 05:01:25 PM »
OK, things have been going from bad to worst for me this weekend, the latest addition is my 3 in 1 senors is showing low battery even with batteries I put in a month ago tops (Duracell's)
MBY is showing a temp of 158F, wind on the desktop display show 6mph for current, low, avg and hi speed..

So I'm going to go toss a new set of batteries in it in a bit..  but what would kill them so fast?  we had a LOT of winds the last few days, peaking up to 61mph..  but would that effect it?

Kent

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
Re: low battery after a month and high temp show
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 06:01:00 PM »
OK, things have been going from bad to worst for me this weekend, the latest addition is my 3 in 1 senors is showing low battery even with batteries I put in a month ago tops (Duracell's)
MBY is showing a temp of 158F, wind on the desktop display show 6mph for current, low, avg and hi speed..

So I'm going to go toss a new set of batteries in it in a bit..  but what would kill them so fast?  we had a LOT of winds the last few days, peaking up to 61mph..  but would that effect it?

158F might indicate an electrical problem... perhaps something shorted.  It's the high extreme of its reporting range and commonly indicates an error.

Wind shouldn't matter unless it was so extreme it was driving rain into the chassis somehow. 

Offline Zug

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 06:11:38 PM »
I tend to think it was RF interference caused by a ham radio I recently bought.  After removing and reinstally the same batteries in the 3 in 1 it returned to normal operation.  I also reset the 01301ccd display complete to get it back to normal, only this time I manually set the barometer to known local pressure since the self calibrate was always about .2" low..

as for the radi.. well it turns out it has some issues that the seller didn't tell me about.. $900 mistake for me..  going to try selling is as needing repairs..
Kent

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 06:16:25 PM »
I had some really weird measured values when my batteries were low too, but it seems quite odd to me they would be dead after a month. I dont think wind has a big impact on it, its more the low temperatures that dramatically shorten battery life, but one month is still a bit extreme. It could be you just happened to buy some faulty ones... but of course as nincehelser pointed out, there could be other problem as well.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 06:30:15 PM »
I tend to think it was RF interference caused by a ham radio I recently bought.  After removing and reinstally the same batteries in the 3 in 1 it returned to normal operation.  I also reset the 01301ccd display complete to get it back to normal, only this time I manually set the barometer to known local pressure since the self calibrate was always about .2" low..

as for the radi.. well it turns out it has some issues that the seller didn't tell me about.. $900 mistake for me..  going to try selling is as needing repairs..

The radio shouldn't be the cause.  If it was it would mess up all your data and not just the temperature.  (temp/humidity and wind speed are all transmitted on the same data packet centered on 433.92MHz every 18 seconds)

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 07:22:01 PM »
I have the feeling that he wasn't talking about a typical 2 meter radio, and exposing the 3-in-1 to hundreds of watts of radiated AM power at close range whacked the non-RF side of the sensor.  Thus, re-seating the batteries brought it back to life.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline Zug

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 07:32:32 PM »
I have the feeling that he wasn't talking about a typical 2 meter radio, and exposing the 3-in-1 to hundreds of watts of radiated AM power at close range whacked the non-RF side of the sensor.  Thus, re-seating the batteries brought it back to life.....

It's an Icom 746Pro, 100 watts. TX seems ok, but FM RX is bad http://youtu.be/QkxuO78P1FU  So I'm going to try selling it even though I just bought it, somebody that doesn't need FM or wants to repair it would be fine..  My guess is with all my ticking and transmitting to test it, something caused a glitch in the weather system.  It's disappointing, if I only was going to do HF/SSB it's great there...
Kent

anything