Author Topic: Replacement wind sensor (WGR800) and Rain Sensor (PCR800)?  (Read 3125 times)

Offline BaronV

took my WMR200 set out of storage hoping to get back into weather monitoring. It's been in storage maybe 1.5 years.

Sadly both the rain sensor and the wind sensor don't appear to be working. Neither my WMR200 not the spare WMR88 I have will pick them up even they're all in the same room.

Sigh, I guess they've died. I don't have much electronics know how to try and repair them, nor do I have the equipment to repair radio transmitters.

Anyone know where to buy replacement parts? Preferably just the circuit boards, or else the whole sensor. I've tried searching everywhere and its all out of stock. I only found some old stock WMR86N on ebay australia. Don't need the console but perhaps thats the only source of replacement sensors.

That or just dump the Oregon Scientific and go for an Ambient setup. Would be a shame to waste what I have, and I don't like how Ambient's thermo hygro are built into their rain gauge.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Replacement wind sensor (WGR800) and Rain Sensor (PCR800)?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 07:03:58 AM »
I don't like how Ambient's thermo hygro are built into their rain gauge.

Then don't get an Ambient, and instead get an Ecowitt with WH32 outdoor temperature/humidity sensor. Start with GW1002 and add HP2551-C display console optional if you want a display. I highly recommend putting the WH32 in a radiation shield such as the Davis 7714 though or you can splurge for a Barani Meteoshield Pro.

You are so particular about the radiation shield located beneath the rain gauge on Ambient but yet you are okay with the OS WMR200 and its terrible barometer with 1 mb resolution? This means your barometer is limited down to inHg in tenths only. That is only my first gripe. I wish my CWOP neighbor would take down their WMR200. They stick out like a sore thumb. Some people keep old inferior stuff running forever because it isn't broken. Here is your chance, take it.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 07:28:22 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline BaronV

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 12:00:58 PM »
well at the time that was the best balance of price to features for what was available at the time. Though your suggestion of the GW1002 is certainly a good one, and I like how it uses a gateway for logging and uploading. Can use my phone to view data in the house. no need to splurge on a screen.

As for the radiation shield, i have my own custom fan aspirated one i made for my oregon scientific. no reason i cant adapt it for use with a new sensor.

I'll definitely look into the GW1002. maybe see if i can order it directly from Fine Offset since i live in Malaysia. Price with its only a slight increase on the old stock oregon.

PS: on the ambient thermo/hygro location, its awful as you're going to get radiation off the roof adding to ambient heat in the vicinity.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2020, 12:15:48 PM »
I'll definitely look into the GW1002. maybe see if i can order it directly from Fine Offset since i live in Malaysia. Price with its only a slight increase on the old stock oregon.

Nobody orders directly from Fine Offset unless you are a company looking to establish a reseller partnership. But you can order directly from Ecowitt as that is their consumer division subsidiary.
Tele-Pole

Offline BaronV

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2020, 12:44:46 PM »
Is Ecowitt owned by Fine Offset? If they ship from hong kong I can certainly save a lot on shipping.

Also will have to do some research on the ambient section to understand the feature and compatibility differences between ecowitt and Ambient.

and also figure out what to do with my WMR200 and WMR88 consoles...

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2020, 01:02:01 PM »
Is Ecowitt owned by Fine Offset? If they ship from hong kong I can certainly save a lot on shipping.

Yes. Although I'm not sure on how their financials are set up to actually demonstrate this to be true or not. Doesn't matter. Another aspect is that the same people work for both Fine Offset and Ecowitt and they are both in Shenzhen. Ecowitt is the only Fine Offset clone seller with access to all models and all parts and any in any radio frequency. In contrast buying from Ambient, Misol, Froggit,...etc. only allows you to buy what they decided to carry and in the one frequency they have for their market.

Also will have to do some research on the ambient section to understand the feature and compatibility differences between ecowitt and Ambient.

It is pretty simple. Any Fine Offset clone console is compatible with any other Fine Offset clone sensor as long as the frequency is a match. With the exception that an Ambient console is only compatible with Ambient branded sensors, as they have modified firmware which purposefully limits compatibility. Available frequencies are 433, 868, and 915 MHz and depending on where you live there are bound to be some restrictions as to what frequency you should use.

Ecowitt console with Ambient sensor works, as long as you are using 915 MHz.

You can't change the frequency of the hardware. The frequency is determined by an actual physical PCB mounted crystal that is part of the actual device.

and also figure out what to do with my WMR200 and WMR88 consoles...
Retire it, put it in a museum, sell it, donate it, or trash (recycle) it.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 01:16:09 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

anything