Author Topic: getting my system online(UPDATES)  (Read 12452 times)

Offline jmcmurry

• Jim McMurry
  • Forecaster
  • Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless.
    • Juneau County Weather
Re: Ok here it goes!!!(trying to get system online)
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2015, 06:42:01 AM »
You may want to remove that temp ground that you have.  That may screw up the controller or create a ground loop. The ground on the outlet may not work for that.

its removed. thanks for the info....you would hear my cry for miles if I would have killed it.

Both Don F and I are grounding to an outlet with great results.  I tried going to my water main and got terrible results.

- Jim

Forum Search and Google Can be Your Best Friends

Offline corwyyn

• Forecaster
  • Far, far east Mesa, AZ
    • Sleeping Saguaros Weather  Mesa, AZ
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2015, 06:49:46 AM »

Both Don F and I are grounding to an outlet with great results.  I tried going to my water main and got terrible results.

- Jim
I also have my system grounded to the center screw on an AC outlet with no problems noted.  I probably overbuilt the connector for the ground - I used a crimp connector on a piece of 12ga stranded wire then after crimping I soldered the connector to ensure it made good contact; I also soldered the end that goes into the ground block on the controller board.  I may have other noise issues with my system but as far as I know grounding ain't one of 'em...
Kevin
AD5VG
Blitzortung station 1042

Offline dfroula

• Forecaster
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2015, 08:46:16 AM »

- Jim

I had the same experience. Grounding to the grounding pin of the wall outlet works well, while a direct cold water pipe connection does not. Odd, because the electrical service panel neutral/ground is connected to the cold water pipe as well, via a dedicated heavy-gauge cable, right where it comes into the house.

I noticed the same thing with a zero-bias MOSFET crystal radio I built. It works better grounded to the wall outlet ground.

Now I'm wondering if the bypass cable around the water meter where the copper pipe enters the basement may have some corrosion. The service panel has a separate ground clamp to the City side of the meter, which may explain the better ground.

Don F.

Offline dfroula

• Forecaster
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2015, 08:53:24 AM »
Right now, I am seeing continuous 60 KHz noise on both your A and B antennas. Both channels are in perfect phase alignment, which suggests that the noise is being coupled in via the power supply or ground. 60 KHz seems to suggest a noisy power supply somewhere, or a noisy 5 volt power supply for the system.

Don F.
WD9DMP

Offline Fox_Of_The_Wind

• Forecaster
  • Hi there!
    • http://www.desotowiwx.com
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2015, 11:13:16 AM »

- Jim
I also have my system grounded to the center screw on an AC outlet with no problems noted.  I probably overbuilt the connector for the ground - I used a crimp connector on a piece of 12ga stranded wire then after crimping I soldered the connector to ensure it made good contact; I also soldered the end that goes into the ground block on the controller board.  I may have other noise issues with my system but as far as I know grounding ain't one of 'em...

I will ground it again with the center screw at the local outlet when I get home from work.

ok system is grounded. going to let it be now and see what it will do.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 04:35:43 PM by Fox_Of_The_Wind »

Anthony

Offline Fox_Of_The_Wind

• Forecaster
  • Hi there!
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2015, 09:12:32 PM »
Right now, I am seeing continuous 60 KHz noise on both your A and B antennas. Both channels are in perfect phase alignment, which suggests that the noise is being coupled in via the power supply or ground. 60 KHz seems to suggest a noisy power supply somewhere, or a noisy 5 volt power supply for the system.

Don F.
WD9DMP

the 5 volt PS is a old one from a blackberry phone. I might look at trying a extra one I have around here. I might also try a full shutdown and unplug of my computers and TV's and what not. to see if that helps for a test this weekend. being that I now have my system grounded.

Anthony

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2015, 10:00:59 PM »
Do you have any other USB socketed power supply you could try?

I had some noise from an un-used Apple (yes Apple!) wall plug that I plugged my USB to micro end for a power supply into.

I finally got another commercial one.  There were several testimonials about a very quiet supply, but again if you have a quiet one and it is usable you might be able to keep from spending your fun acount to zero.

I'd try anything that you had around.  You will soon know.

Oh, isn't there a function you can use the controller board itself to look at the 5 volt line and see any ripple there?

Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2015, 10:03:14 PM »

I had some noise from an un-used Apple (yes Apple!) wall plug that I plugged my USB to micro end for a power supply into.

I finally got another commercial one.  There were several testimonials about a very quiet supply, but again if you have a quiet one and it is usable you might be able to keep from spending your fun acount to zero.

Oh, isn't there a function you can use the controller board itself to look at the 5 volt line and see any ripple there?

Dale

Problem is, the controller filters the input... radiation iand ground loops etc getting in the antenna etc isn't checked by that mode.

Offline Fox_Of_The_Wind

• Forecaster
  • Hi there!
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2015, 04:41:23 PM »

Dale

changed it twice.......no luck....kind of thinking I got myself into something that I should have stayed away from  :?

Anthony

Offline jmcmurry

• Jim McMurry
  • Forecaster
  • Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless.
    • Juneau County Weather
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2015, 06:17:25 AM »
Anthony,

Don't get too discouraged, the answer is out there somewhere.  Have you tried that different location out in the shed?  Also, if you haven't already, be sure to sign up on the Spherics forum because there may be someone there with ideas who doesn't happen to check this forum.

- Jim

Forum Search and Google Can be Your Best Friends

Offline Fox_Of_The_Wind

• Forecaster
  • Hi there!
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2015, 04:36:50 PM »
Anthony,

Don't get too discouraged, the answer is out there somewhere.  Have you tried that different location out in the shed?  Also, if you haven't already, be sure to sign up on the Spherics forum because there may be someone there with ideas who doesn't happen to check this forum.

- Jim

I'm not trying to. I have left it alone a few days this week.....don't want to poke at it to much and break it....The shed (our old chicken coop) is still in the back of my mind....but it gets so hot in there during the summer.......you could say I am chicken to put it in the chicken coop LOL!!!!.....anyway. I could put it there for a test to see if it works better there. if it does I will haveto just watch its temp.

What and were is this Spherics forum?

OH!!! a plus today I was just watching the live lighting map and my system is helping!!!!!! It don't look like its helping much. but its helping!!!!!! Made me feel kind of good. So its working...kind of...

Anthony

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2015, 05:08:26 PM »
I posted a note at sferics.us about your interest...

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2015, 06:31:23 PM »

:-"
You signed up and registered on Monday, 13th  :grin:
http://sferics.us    (that's the Region 3 Operators site)

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2015, 08:00:55 PM »
Anthony,
There you ARE!  I saw your dot just turn purple. 

And do you remember a few months ago when you were wondering if you were 'too close' to already established stations?

Nope, this looks like great additional coverage for this coming year.

Congrats.  Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline Fox_Of_The_Wind

• Forecaster
  • Hi there!
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2015, 04:44:08 PM »

oh.....so it is.....darn. I feel kind of stupid now.  :oops:

Anthony,

And do you remember a few months ago when you were wondering if you were 'too close' to already established stations?

Congrats.  Dale

Thank you! I am still in learning mode.....and getting a lot of bad signals.....hope I can fig this out soon.

Anthony

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2015, 06:14:06 PM »

oh.....so it is.....darn. I feel kind of stupid now.  :oops:

This hobby has that effect on all of us, I think... sooner or later, at least once... .  Well, maybe twice.

Anthony,

Congrats.  Dale

Thank you! I am still in learning mode.....and getting a lot of bad signals.....hope I can fig this out soon.

Go far it, and please share it with the rest of us... we're still trying to figgeritout... . ](*,)   

Offline Fox_Of_The_Wind

• Forecaster
  • Hi there!
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2015, 08:26:19 PM »
ok....setup is now in the shed. I don't see much change. other then not getting a good GPS signal now. what does everyone else think? (That is still watching this thread)

Anthony

Offline corwyyn

• Forecaster
  • Far, far east Mesa, AZ
    • Sleeping Saguaros Weather  Mesa, AZ
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2015, 11:09:37 PM »
Metal roof on the chicken coop?  Might need to mount the GPS antenna on the outside of the building, preferably somewhere with a good view of the sky.
Kevin
AD5VG
Blitzortung station 1042

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2015, 09:14:58 AM »
It doesn't even need to be a metal roof. I typically lose Sirius when I pull into the garage with asphalt shingles. My newest Garmin seems to pick up the signal even in the garage, but older generation GPS would lose it.

I have both of my antennas outdoors in Wx-proof housings.

Greg H.

Offline Fox_Of_The_Wind

• Forecaster
  • Hi there!
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2015, 03:08:32 PM »
Metal roof on the chicken coop?  Might need to mount the GPS antenna on the outside of the building, preferably somewhere with a good view of the sky.
I am still waiting for my GPS antenna to be shipped to me.
It doesn't even need to be a metal roof. I typically lose Sirius when I pull into the garage with asphalt shingles. My newest Garmin seems to pick up the signal even in the garage, but older generation GPS would lose it.

Greg H.

I got my setup in one more building that I have outside...I think the old coop was to close to the hill, and it would not get a good signal.

I have walked away from it. I will work on it more when I get my antenna..

I been looking on the forum at other peoples setups to see how they did it.

Anthony

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2015, 11:35:41 PM »
Anthony,
A watched pot never boils, nor does a RED station.  If you walked away from it for a bit, either your antenna came in the mail, or some gnome tweaked it a bit.
Your station is lighting up big time, with many times your station turning purple (your data used to locate a strike) on the lightningmaps.org realtime map.

With the storms all around down in the mid part of the country, a lot of staitons are doing the same, but good to see you've got such a high participation rate right off the bat.

Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2015, 08:28:45 AM »

Greg H.

I got my setup in one more building that I have outside...I think the old coop was to close to the hill, and it would not get a good signal.

This is what I use, a TRAM Marine GPS antenna. It is mast mounted and works great. I had to buy a BNC to SMA adapter to connect it to the RED board. Of course, I adjusted it so the antenna is at a right angle from the mount.

Greg H.

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2015, 08:53:57 AM »
Greg,
How long was the connecting cable?  I'm down in my basement, running an 8' extention out a window, and then going along the bottom of my deck, 'almost' making it into the clear with my little patch antenna.

I'm hoping to maybe do better, with something like yours, or just see if I can find another high quality extention and get out a few feet further.
Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2015, 10:20:34 AM »
It was 25 feet. (7.62m)
Here is where I got it: http://www.amazon.com/Tram-Marine-Gps-Antenna/dp/B001DN2KTC
This is the BNC-SMA cable. I originally joined them with a BNC wall plate, but I used a common Female-Female BNC coupler in my current installation in the garage.
Amphenol RG174 SMA Male to BNC Male Coaxial Cable

Greg H.

Offline Fox_Of_The_Wind

• Forecaster
  • Hi there!
« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2015, 04:44:50 PM »
Anthony,
A watched pot never boils, nor does a RED station.  If you walked away from it for a bit, either your antenna came in the mail, or some gnome tweaked it a bit.
Your station is lighting up big time, with many times your station turning purple (your data used to locate a strike) on the lightningmaps.org realtime map.

With the storms all around down in the mid part of the country, a lot of staitons are doing the same, but good to see you've got such a high participation rate right off the bat.

Dale
I was just watching it now (The realtime map) and WOW it is sure helping and it is not even setup nice. I hope I don't stop a good thing by putting the GPS antenna on it when I get it.

Greg H.

This is what I use, a TRAM Marine GPS antenna. It is mast mounted and works great. I had to buy a BNC to SMA adapter to connect it to the RED board. Of course, I adjusted it so the antenna is at a right angle from the mount.

Greg H.

Thank you for that info. I saved that link incase I want to do a upgrade.

Anthony

anything