Author Topic: 5 in 1 vs. Northern Oregon Coast (the Coast won)  (Read 1530 times)

Offline davefr

• Senior Contributor
5 in 1 vs. Northern Oregon Coast (the Coast won)
« on: November 07, 2018, 01:29:30 PM »
I installed a new 5 in 1 on an oceanfront cliff 8/17 knowing full well it would be a harsh environment.  It made it until last week and started giving whacky temp and humidity readings.  I just completed an autopsy and this is what I found.

The 5 in 1 actually still looked like new inside.  It looks like just about every metal part is stainless steel including the fasteners.

The problem turned out to be the SHT21 daughter board.  It is completely corroded right at the SHT21 chip.  It looks like the chip's leads were originally encased in a epoxy like sealant but it's complete gone on the bottom side.  One SHT21 lead has pretty much completely disintegrated. I plan to swap in an HTU21D from Amazon and put the sensor back in service. I might block off that open port underneath the daughter board.  It might slow down the corrosion.  I'd think it would still give accurate readings but with slower response to changes.

In all fairness, I don't think a WS-2000, Atlas or Davis sensor would have done much better.  Atlas and WS-2000 have ferrous mounting brackets so they might even be worse.

P.S. The sensor suite along side the 5 in 1 is a Maximum going on 15 years.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 03:22:19 PM by davefr »

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
Re: 5 in 1 vs. Northern Oregon Coast (the Coast won)
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 08:05:52 AM »
Beautiful location! What a view! Bet it's nice to sit inside with the pellet stove on and watch the weather.
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline MrM1

• North Central Florida
  • Contributor
    • Bethel Weather
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 09:47:54 AM »
Great view,  and if you had enough of a wet suit,  the surf looks like it might be entertaining too.     Is that sea spray droplets on the board?  Salt water spray is so odd.  Its like it does not evaporate or dry sometimes.

Offline davefr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 02:25:51 PM »
Great view,  and if you had enough of a wet suit,  the surf looks like it might be entertaining too.     Is that sea spray droplets on the board?  Salt water spray is so odd.  Its like it does not evaporate or dry sometimes.

Yes, salt air condensation is more like oil then water.  It completely ate thru that potting compound that was used to seal the SHT21 solder connection to the PCB. I replaced the SHT21 module and applied some GB Liquid Electric to everything except the sensing window of the chip and will see if it holds up any better.
I don't mind replacing this module every year if that's what it takes.  SHT21 modules are as low as $2 on Ebay and it's a very simple task to replace them.

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 04:29:18 PM »

Yes, salt air condensation is more like oil then water.  It completely ate thru that potting compound that was used to seal the SHT21 solder connection to the PCB. I replaced the SHT21 module and applied some GB Liquid Electric to everything except the sensing window of the chip and will see if it holds up any better.
I don't mind replacing this module every year if that's what it takes.  SHT21 modules are as low as $2 on Ebay and it's a very simple task to replace them.

I see there are a few SHT21 modules on ebay would you share which one you went with and any pics you may have of soldering and placement in the 5n1?

I just replaced mine with one from AcuRite at $20 if it goes out again i'd like to go a cheaper way . 
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2018, 04:47:23 PM »

I've no first-hand experience with it, but "Corrosion X" was a favorite of several on the old Acurite forum.

Offline davefr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2018, 04:49:01 PM »
I splurged and bought this one from Amazon Prime because I didn't want to wait for the slow boat from China:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XR7CR1I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just now ordered this one from China to have on hand as a spare for next time:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/I2C-Temperature-Humidity-Sensor-GY213V-HTU21D-SHT21-SI7021-HDC1080-ASS/263449147465?hash=item3d56caf849:g:7E0AAOSwXGtZn3LM:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true

Just unsolder the cable from the Acurite daughter board and resolder it to the new module then place it into that air tunnel in the sensor:

VDD  to +
VSS  to -
SCL  to CL
SDA to DA

« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 04:55:47 PM by davefr »

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2018, 05:50:14 PM »
I splurged and bought this one from Amazon Prime because I didn't want to wait for the slow boat from China:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XR7CR1I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just now ordered this one from China to have on hand as a spare for next time:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/I2C-Temperature-Humidity-Sensor-GY213V-HTU21D-SHT21-SI7021-HDC1080-ASS/263449147465?hash=item3d56caf849:g:7E0AAOSwXGtZn3LM:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true

Just unsolder the cable from the Acurite daughter board and resolder it to the new module then place it into that air tunnel in the sensor:

VDD  to +
VSS  to -
SCL  to CL
SDA to DA
Thanks!
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access