Author Topic: Barani pro passive shield  (Read 39699 times)

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
Re: Barani pro passive shield
« Reply #225 on: November 21, 2018, 03:30:56 PM »
What are your differences between the FARS and the Pro shield when the wind is dead calm? I’m believing that the black louvers are increasing the error of temperature readings during calm wind conditions.

Still about 2°, this is with (.1) mph at shield level wind speed even with low sun angle.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Randy

Offline jgentry

• Forecaster
« Reply #226 on: November 22, 2018, 10:23:00 AM »
I’m basically getting the same results here in Alabama. But that’s the risk I’ll rather take than having to worry about maintaining the FARS.
Davis Vantage Pro2 & WeatherFlow Tempest. WU: KXALJEMI2, KALJEMIS7, KFLPANAM363 & KALTHORS2. CWOP/APRS: C6353 & E6358

Offline jerryg

• Forecaster
  • weather is never boring
    • victoria texas weather
« Reply #227 on: February 12, 2020, 06:30:50 PM »
Just an update to the old post, Jan at Barani has sent Valentine weather and myself a new version of the Pro shield for testing. It is supposed to have improved low wind results and mine should be here Monday and i am going to test it against a Davis fars. I and i am sure Randy will post some results after we get things going.

Offline jgentry

• Forecaster
« Reply #228 on: February 12, 2020, 06:41:19 PM »
Just an update to the old post, Jan at Barani has sent Valentine weather and myself a new version of the Pro shield for testing. It is supposed to have improved low wind results and mine should be here Monday and i am going to test it against a Davis fars. I and i am sure Randy will post some results after we get things going.

Nice!!!
Davis Vantage Pro2 & WeatherFlow Tempest. WU: KXALJEMI2, KALJEMIS7, KFLPANAM363 & KALTHORS2. CWOP/APRS: C6353 & E6358

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #229 on: February 12, 2020, 06:52:57 PM »
Yes looking forward to the new shield design. The improvement includes a special all-black tested color interior to reduce reflection and a special plastic to reduce heat buildup at low wind speeds. 
Ideally, Barani is looking for a passive shield that works well-reducing snow reflection and can rival FARS shields in low wind speed situations. Have to give them credit for continuing advancement, unlike some developers we know. 
They also have a new design rain gauge that can handle even high rainfall rates I'll eventually be testing. The heated unit will be available for testing toward the end of 2020.
Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #230 on: February 12, 2020, 06:56:55 PM »
But that’s the risk I’ll rather take than having to worry about maintaining the FARS.
I see that as a double edged sword...no fan, bug maintenance...stock fan, bug and fan maintenance...case fan, both problems solved. Of course not all can play.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #231 on: February 12, 2020, 07:04:45 PM »
They also have a new design rain gauge that can handle even high rainfall rates I'll eventually be testing.
Manual, tipper, something else?

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #232 on: February 12, 2020, 07:06:33 PM »
They also have a new design rain gauge that can handle even high rainfall rates I'll eventually be testing.
Manual, tipper, something else?
Yes, its a tipper design.
Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #233 on: February 12, 2020, 07:09:21 PM »
Oh, not what I was expecting you to say. Privy to anything else like diameter of the bucket, single or dual spoons, ect?

Offline jgentry

• Forecaster
« Reply #234 on: February 12, 2020, 08:40:16 PM »
All we need is a sensor that’s not Sensirion (preferably HYT-221) probe and a new Davis transmitter and we will be good!

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #235 on: February 12, 2020, 09:00:18 PM »
All we need is a sensor that’s not Sensirion (preferably HYT-221) probe and a new Davis transmitter and we will be good!
If, I repeat, IF Davis has properly dealt with the 31 issue, which seems quite possible, that'll never happen with a VP2.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #236 on: February 13, 2020, 05:12:45 AM »
Oh, not what I was expecting you to say. Privy to anything else like diameter of the bucket, single or dual spoons, ect?

I think the details of the gauges can be found on their website. My testing will be toward the end of the year because I requested a heated unit and they are not out yet.
Randy

Offline jgentry

• Forecaster
« Reply #237 on: February 13, 2020, 10:11:12 AM »
If, I repeat, IF Davis has properly dealt with the 31 issue, which seems quite possible, that'll never happen with a VP2.

Probably won’t but their EnviroMonitor can take I2C sensors

https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=34658.1575

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #238 on: February 13, 2020, 03:00:54 PM »

I think the details of the gauges can be found on their website. My testing will be toward the end of the year because I requested a heated unit and they are not out yet.
Thanks! Sorry for all the questions, but how will you compare? RW, Stratus?

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #239 on: February 13, 2020, 03:29:08 PM »

Thanks! Sorry for all the questions, but how will you compare? RW, Stratus?

I'll compare it to Stratus as primary. I don't use the RW at home. I'm using a heated TR525 USW.  The RW is at the remote station.
Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #240 on: February 13, 2020, 03:32:08 PM »
Look forward to it!

Offline jerryg

• Forecaster
    • victoria texas weather
« Reply #241 on: February 14, 2020, 04:38:05 PM »
I got the pro in at noon today and have it out co-located with the fars and very early results look pretty good. I got a long way to go before things become clear. Today we had winds around 10 mph but did get a few short periods when the wind was calm and low at 1 to 4 mph and the new pro didn't miss a beat, temp stayed right with the fars, no spike due to low winds. Got to wait for one of the morning times when the sun is just coming up and no wind, that is the true test but just a quickie today and the fars max has been 62.3 and the pro 61.6.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #242 on: February 14, 2020, 04:46:24 PM »
Got to wait for one of the morning times when the sun is just coming up and no wind, that is the true test
Unless the sensor in the passive is exposed to the sun's rays, I would think around solar noon with calm wind would be your best bet.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #243 on: February 14, 2020, 04:51:51 PM »
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 06:04:49 PM by ValentineWeather »
Randy

Offline jerryg

• Forecaster
    • victoria texas weather
« Reply #244 on: February 14, 2020, 05:53:53 PM »
When wu is working here is the info site https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXVICTO113

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #245 on: February 14, 2020, 06:05:18 PM »
Thanks I corrected the above links.
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #246 on: February 14, 2020, 08:16:54 PM »
Got to wait for one of the morning times when the sun is just coming up and no wind, that is the true test
Unless the sensor in the passive is exposed to the sun's rays, I would think around solar noon with calm wind would be your best bet.

I want to see calm wind with no more than 5 mph at anemometer height usually translates to 2-3 mph at the sensor level for a good test.  The less wind the better. Between peak sun throughout the afternoon heat buildup into sunset are where my interest is and what I consider the most critical time.
For many areas like Arizona, it was almost impossible to get calm afternoons but here in Nebraska, it does happen more often so I should have some good comparison days.
Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #247 on: February 14, 2020, 08:59:42 PM »
The less wind the better. Between peak sun throughout the afternoon heat buildup into sunset are where my interest is and what I consider the most critical time.
Well, that's the whole point, how the new shield compares to the aspirated in the worst case scenario, dead calm and full sun. My peak heat in the summer almost always occurs between 2:45ish and 3:30. Although I believe this is a wonderful passive shield, it will still never beat a good fan in a quality shield such as is the 24hr VP2's, nor should it.

Offline jerryg

• Forecaster
    • victoria texas weather
« Reply #248 on: February 14, 2020, 09:24:27 PM »
What i would want is a passive shield that has good performance at low wind speeds and acceptable in calm wind for a remote location where repairs might be iffy if a fan quits or night time batteries go bad. If this shield can keep the error around .5 or so i could live with that and i sure hope it does, time will tell.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #249 on: February 15, 2020, 04:48:37 AM »
It would be a real breakthrough for passive shields for sure. Even +1F error with no wind I could live with.   These actually do better in windy conditions but with so many calm days I was always drawn back to the FARS. Fingers crossed.
Randy

anything