Author Topic: My Weather Stations  (Read 2399 times)

Offline MNicastro

• WeatherMike
    • WeatherMike
My Weather Stations
« on: August 11, 2019, 09:36:33 AM »
Davis Instruments - 6152 Vantage Pro 2 Plus (KFLDAVEN9)
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

AcuRite 06014 PRO+ 5-in-1  Weather Station (KFLDAVEN28)
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 11:22:21 AM by MNicastro »
Mike Nicastro / K7FLA
https://www.weathermike.com)
-------------------------------------------------------
Ambient Weather WS-2000 Smart Weather Station ( KCABEAUM158 )
Ecowitt WS90 7-in-1 Weather Sensor ( KCABEAUM159 )

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
Re: My Weather Stations
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 09:43:21 AM »
Whats that white thing below the cocorahs gauge.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2019, 10:05:45 AM »
MNicastro,
That is not a very good placement for the Stratus gauge. It should be sitting on its own post and with no obstructions from all sides. It is also recommended that the top of the post have an angle cut so that you don't get rain drops slashing up and into the collector. Just get a 4x4 mailbox post and cut the top in a 45 degree angle and then stick it in the ground a few feet away.

Another improvement to make is to extend the pole for your Davis anemometer. When you see Davis VP2 product pictures you see the ISS and the anemometer together and some people may think that is the recommended configuration setup....and it isn't.

The Acurite 5-in-1 should also be raised a bit to prevent wind turbulence off the structure from affecting readings. Raising may also improve temperature radiation effects of that structure. If I look at the data (KFLDAVEN9 vs KFLDAVEN28) it seems that the Acurite 5-in-1 is reading much higher temperature. Granted it might not reach the accuracy of your VP2 but it would certainly help to raise it I think...and maybe you can reduce that difference between them.

Well I don't want to come off as all negative and telling you that your stuff is all wrong, because there is a lot of good stuff you've got there. I also think that it seems you have a nice open yard to enable a nice siting for your weather gear.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 10:31:51 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2019, 12:44:13 PM »
MNicastro,
That is not a very good placement for the Stratus gauge. It should be sitting on its own post and with no obstructions from all sides. It is also recommended that the top of the post have an angle cut so that you don't get rain drops slashing up and into the collector. Just get a 4x4 mailbox post and cut the top in a 45 degree angle and then stick it in the ground a few feet away.

Another improvement to make is to extend the pole for your Davis anemometer. When you see Davis VP2 product pictures you see the ISS and the anemometer together and some people may think that is the recommended configuration setup....and it isn't.

The Acurite 5-in-1 should also be raised a bit to prevent wind turbulence off the structure from affecting readings. Raising may also improve temperature radiation effects of that structure. If I look at the data (KFLDAVEN9 vs KFLDAVEN28) it seems that the Acurite 5-in-1 is reading much higher temperature. Granted it might not reach the accuracy of your VP2 but it would certainly help to raise it I think...and maybe you can reduce that difference between them.

Well I don't want to come off as all negative and telling you that your stuff is all wrong, because there is a lot of good stuff you've got there. I also think that it seems you have a nice open yard to enable a nice siting for your weather gear.

Very good advice all around I think. The Acurite draws air from the bottom, so whatever is underneath it is what temperature it will reflect... That black metal will surely be scorching hot, and make 7 or 8 F higher degrees easily... higher than actuality.

Offline MNicastro

• WeatherMike
    • WeatherMike
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2019, 02:04:53 PM »
The white thing below the cocorahs gauge is an AcuRite wireless rain gauge.  And as far as the placement of the Stratus gauge, I agree with you.  But I live in an HOA community and am very limited where I can place things in my yard.  I am very happy that I am actually able to have my weather stations up where they are now. I can't put the Stratus gauge on a post, because I tried and had to remove it. I am only able to have my sensors and gauges where they are now. For the most part I get pretty good readings, and the Davis VP2 is much more accurate.  Thanks for the advise anyway.
Mike Nicastro / K7FLA

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2019, 02:24:28 PM »
But I live in an HOA community and am very limited where I can place things in my yard. 
That's bull. I could understand things up over the roof line (like an anemometer), but down low in your OWN yard? :roll: I'd be outta there.

Offline MNicastro

• WeatherMike
    • WeatherMike
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2019, 02:43:42 PM »
Yeah, but there are other factors as well. First, my irrigation system is all around the house and if I put the Stratus gauge anywhere by the ground it will get water from the sprinklers in it and won't be accurate.  Second, the landscapers will kill it with their weed wackers. Third, that is all common ground past my screen and I can't put anything out there. Like I said, it's not the greatest conditions, but I'm happy to at least have my weather stations out there.  There are communities in our area that won't let you put literally ANYTHING outside your house.  I was actually able to get a dual band 2M/70cm Ham Radio vertical antenna approved by the HOA on my roof in the back yard. Go figure. I also snuck a OCF 40-6M stealth wire antenna on my roof that they can't see. It pretty much blends in the roof shingles :-) I don't want to rock the boat, because the HOA violations committee will come snooping around my yard with their clipboards.
Mike Nicastro / K7FLA

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2019, 03:14:57 PM »
I guess that explains your avatar.
Tele-Pole

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2019, 08:50:19 AM »
I was actually able to get a dual band 2M/70cm Ham Radio vertical antenna approved by the HOA on my roof in the back yard.

Hello K7FLA. I looked you up on QRZ. Good to have another Ham on board. Ham and Weather seem to go together around here....

73 de KE8DAF

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline MNicastro

• WeatherMike
    • WeatherMike
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2019, 09:59:03 AM »
Thanks, same to you! Yeah, Ham Radio and weather are definitely fun.  I'm also SkyWarn and CERT trained. It is definitely good to know weather and ham radio in Florida with al the crazy weather down here  :grin:

73, Mike
K7FLA
Mike Nicastro / K7FLA

Offline Big Sky Weather

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2019, 12:13:25 PM »
Your callsign jumped out at me... I'm K8FLA, born and raised in Oviedo, FL but now live in Montana. I too just got SKYWARN certified. It's true, weather and HAM seem to go together!

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2019, 01:17:32 PM »
And I live right next to Oviedo in Winter Springs. My kids go to school in Oviedo.
Tele-Pole

Offline Big Sky Weather

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2019, 01:20:07 PM »
I noticed your location earlier. Small world! I too, graduated from OHS many moons ago.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2019, 02:03:01 PM »
Small world indeed. Welcome to the forum.
Tele-Pole

Offline pabloako

• Weather Forum Australia
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2019, 05:34:58 AM »
Looks great MNicastro and what a lovely looking location to install it.

Offline MNicastro

• WeatherMike
    • WeatherMike
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2019, 06:50:04 AM »
Thanks!  Since that photo I've moved my anemometer off the pole and on top of my screen cage for better readings, and it also to gave my Stratus rain gauge better reading also.  Mike [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Mike Nicastro / K7FLA