Author Topic: Wired set ups - how to you manage cabling?  (Read 1680 times)

Offline Dale_S

Wired set ups - how to you manage cabling?
« on: February 19, 2019, 10:03:29 PM »
I've got a Vantage Pro2 (wired) system that I'm setting up for the first time.
The console connects via an RJ11 connector, and was wondering how you make the transition from outside -> inside without having an ugly hole in the wall with a cable poking through...

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
Re: Wired set ups - how to you manage cabling?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 10:14:50 PM »
Not sure there is a way.

You know your house. Maybe there is an in somewhere. Vent, etc.

Otherwise, a hole is the only way. Just what you have to do. Even my brand new build, I had to drill a hole so the Directv could get in. No big deal.

Just be careful with the jacks so you do not break a tab.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 10:21:25 PM »
The console connects via an RJ11 connector, and was wondering how you make the transition from outside -> inside without having an ugly hole in the wall with a cable poking through...
If you're worried about poking a hole through the house, why didn't you simply buy wireless?  :???:

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 12:46:57 AM »
was wondering how you make the transition from outside -> inside without having an ugly hole in the wall with a cable poking through...

You need a drywall saw. To cut a nice square hole.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bon-Tool-6-in-Drywall-Saw-with-Comfort-Grip-Handle-15-171/306156002

You'll use this single gang wall bracket.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Carlon-1-Gang-Non-Metallic-Low-Voltage-Old-Work-Bracket-SC100RR/100160916?MERCH=REC-_-SearchPLPHorizontal1_rr-_-NA-_-100160916-_-N

But before you cut... you need to use a stud finder to make sure you are clear and aren't cutting into a two-by-four behind the drywall. Some better stud finders also detect live AC cables behind the wall.

Then you use the orange gang wall bracket to mark the wall with a pencil. Just mark in the corners where the little holes are. That is your template. Now connect the dots you drew with a ruler or your hand as you want to draw a box. That is your cutting line to do with the drywall saw.

Jab the drywall saw in the wall and cut along the line you drew. Be careful for electrical lines as some houses don't have electrical inside of conduit. Rare..but I've seen it. Better to put this outlet far from electrical outlet if possible so as to not cut electric line. The line if there would go up the wall. So just don't put this outlet above an electrical outlet and you'll be fine.

Remove the drywall cut section. Insert the orange gang wall bracket and push the two flippy things up and down respectively. Tighten flippy things with screwdriver.

To cover the wall bracket you'll need a blank wall plate.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-1-Gang-Blank-Wall-Plate-White-R52-88014-00W/100356837

Drill a hole in the middle of the wall plate the smallest size you need to pass the cable end through.

Now you are ready to run the cable once you drill through the outside wall. Use Silicone caulk to seal the outside hole after you've run the cable.

Now it won't be ugly inside the house. It will just look like a normal outlet that won't be unsightly. This is cheap and easy to do yourself, and it will look professional.

Don't forget when running the cable to pass through the wall plate. Often installers forget about the wall plate and then they have to cut a slit on the wall plate to the hole. Unless they want to pull the cable out and start over.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 10:19:20 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Dale_S

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2019, 01:49:34 AM »
Would you recommend an RJ45 female jack in the plate, and terminating the cable there? That would seem neater (and allow me to reposition the console by just using a longer cable)...

thanks!

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2019, 06:45:19 AM »
Terminating with an RJ45 jack would certainly be even neater. But that would require more tools. You'll need a 110 punchdown tool to terminate the jack. Then you'll need a telcom crimper or buy a ready made cable for the wall jack to the console. But I don't know the particulars of the tolerances of the cabled VP2 console and if it would present electrical problems if you use an interrupted connection using a jack and your own cabling. I think it would probably be okay but best to hear from someone with experience with the cabled VP2 console.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Dale_S

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2019, 07:05:37 AM »
If you're worried about poking a hole through the house, why didn't you simply buy wireless?  :???:

If you don't like a honda, why don't you just buy a porsche?

I've bought what I could afford (2nd hand). If you are willing to donate the extra money to me then I'll buy one.

if not then why not actually answer the question instead of making snide remarks to someone who is trying to get into this.

Two posts into this forum and I meet someone like you. I hope you are an outlier...

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
    • https://weather34.com/homeweatherstation
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2019, 07:16:16 AM »
3 posts into this forum you now realize you will need a thick skin and learn too drink 3 cups of filtered coffee to read it and  before responding..aint all bad best practice ignore the non constructive stuff but he has a point ... dont like ugly cables then wireless may be something for the future we all started somewhere and thought it would be better if i do that in the future..thats how we get the porsche sometimes eventually..dont take it to heart you might just thank him one day... have a great day ...brian

Offline Dale_S

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2019, 07:44:07 AM »
Terminating with an RJ45 jack would certainly be even neater. But that would require more tools. You'll need a 110 punchdown tool to terminate the jack. Then you'll need a telcom crimper or buy a ready made cable for the wall jack to the console. But I don't know the particulars of the tolerances of the cabled VP2 console and if it would present electrical problems if you use an interrupted connection using a jack and your own cabling. I think it would probably be okay but best to hear from someone with experience with the cabled VP2 console.

I have a Krone punchdown tool for ethernet - good idea! I agree it'd be good to hear from someone who's done this before (which is why I'm here :-)

Offline Dale_S

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2019, 07:44:54 AM »
3 posts into this forum you now realize you will need a thick skin and learn too drink 3 cups of filtered coffee to read it

I'd have to learn to drink coffee first! :-)

Offline AWL

• Forecaster
    • Ardmore Weather Live
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2019, 09:12:40 AM »
These are nice and neat looking for pre-made cables:Keystone Jack

Doug

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2019, 10:14:30 AM »

I have a cabled VP2 Plus that has been running reliably for over 15 years - in two different states.  No RF interference or "channel number" problems.  No problem with ISS batteries, solar panels, supercaps, etc. etc.

I presume you understand that this isn't really an RJ11 connector - it's a 4P4C connector, commonly used for telephone handsets.

Also, the cabling is "straight through" (rather than "flipped over").

If you consider using a jack on the outside of your house - consider also that jacks are not weatherproof.  Passing through a hole can be made reasonably weatherproof. 

Another possible solution is to make a hole just the size of the cable (not big enough for the plug), cut the cable and pass it through that small hole, and then splice the cable (there are a number of good ways to do that).  Or, perhaps best, terminate in a "punch down" block inside the house.  Then do the inside cabling from there.

That's my personal preference. 

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2019, 10:35:06 AM »
something like this but smaller

https://www.pducables.com/products/air-guard-5-round?_vsrefdom=adwords&gclid=CjwKCAiAkrTjBRAoEiwAXpf9CT9le4UtQNnu5HcXrJhH1vqBsXBLv_6mcCRTDaM5mRG2rNT8WReDTBoC-dsQAvD_BwE

or...
In the ceiling through a roof vent then down the inside of a wall....spit balling here.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2019, 02:24:33 PM »

I've bought what I could afford (2nd hand). If you are willing to donate the extra money to me then I'll buy one.

if not then why not actually answer the question instead of making snide remarks to someone who is trying to get into this.

Two posts into this forum and I meet someone like you. I hope you are an outlier...
Snide remark?? Whether you think so or not, that was a legitimate question. Countless times new people come onto this forum seeking help, with the members having NO clue on what the poster's knowledge or background is, because they failed to or didn't want to share it, just like you.
It cost a whole 40 extra dollars to go from a wired to wireless setup, so obviously not knowing your situation, I threw the question out there thinking you might reconsider with knowing of the upcoming hassle and extra money for tools to complete the job, which would have made a wireless setup just as cost effective and no-brainer.

Have a nice day...

Offline hwcorder

• Contract Weather Observer at KCLT
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2019, 02:40:16 PM »
This takes me back to may Weather Monitor II days! At least you only have to run one cable through a wall and not 3. :grin:

Its up to you but the way I ran the cables was to drill a small hole in a window sill just big enough for the cables then used expanding foam it seal and insulate. Really easy and cheap as well. Really didn't look bad at all. I have to say one advantage of a cabled system is you get constant data with no lag. I really wish Davis would increase the frequency that outdoor humidity is updated to at least the same rate as temperature.

BTW here's a tidbit for all of us who have had issues with the cups on our anemometer seizing up.  Even though the rest of that station has been taken down a long time ago the anemometer is still on the chimney of my parents house because its a ways up there and would be a pain to take down. Were talking over 20 years and when I visit I'm amazed to see the cups still spin freely in the wind although it does look a though the vane sticks somewhat.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 02:42:05 PM by hwcorder »

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2019, 02:43:30 PM »
I have to say one advantage of a cabled system is you get constant data with no lag.
No sir, wireless is just as efficient as wired.

Offline hwcorder

• Contract Weather Observer at KCLT
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2019, 03:35:30 PM »
I have to say one advantage of a cabled system is you get constant data with no lag.
Well then never mind...  Thats crappy!

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2019, 03:41:32 PM »
Well then never mind...  Thats crappy!
:lol: If you truly want crappy update times, get something other than a Davis. No contest..

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2019, 03:49:17 PM »

...other than the need for a solar panel, a battery, a supercap.....  and the possibility of RF interference...

There are advantages to cabled systems, and advantages to wireless systems.  And disadvantages to both, too.

It seems (to me) a bit unnecessary to advise a new participant who says "I've got a Vantage Pro2 (wired) system that I'm setting up" by saying: "why didn't you simply buy wireless?"

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2019, 05:20:28 PM »
...other than the need for a solar panel, a battery, a supercap.....  and the possibility of RF interference...

It seems (to me) a bit unnecessary to advise a new participant who says "I've got a Vantage Pro2 (wired) system that I'm setting up" by saying: "why didn't you simply buy wireless?"
As you can well see, can't you, the statement was about UPDATE intervals, nothing else. BTW, as I've stated before, my supercap is original, my battery is original, the solar panel worked fine until removal, and I've never experienced one, single, RF problem. My ISS will be 12 years old this summer. Another case on this forum of, "I don't have it/use it, therefore it must suck" mentality.

As far as the OP, he may not have been aware of the wireless option and would possibly opt otherwise . How in the hell would I know?
Sorry if me trying to help causes people to get their panties in a wad...and you to get into your usual, arguing self.

Anything else you want to complain about??

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2019, 05:53:49 PM »

As far as the OP, he may not have been aware of the wireless option and would possibly opt otherwise . How in the hell would I know?
Sorry if me trying to help causes people to get their panties in a wad...and you to get into your usual, arguing self.

Anything else you want to complain about??

I apologize for causing you so much stress.

I understand that your recent statement was about update intervals. 

Another case on this forum of, "I don't have it/use it, therefore it must suck" mentality.

Where did I say that I "don't have it/use it"?  I support several wireless VP2s owned by others.  But I was answering a question about a cabled system. 

and you to get into your usual, arguing self.

Who?

Offline JudinNorman

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2019, 06:03:57 PM »
3 posts into this forum you now realize you will need a thick skin and learn too drink 3 cups of filtered coffee to read it

I'd have to learn to drink coffee first! :-)

Little weird not drinking coffee. LOL

Offline JudinNorman

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2019, 06:07:27 PM »

Snide remark?? Whether you think so or not, that was a legitimate question. Countless times new people come onto this forum seeking help, with the members having NO clue on what the poster's knowledge or background is, because they failed to or didn't want to share it, just like you.
It cost a whole 40 extra dollars to go from a wired to wireless setup, so obviously not knowing your situation, I threw the question out there thinking you might reconsider with knowing of the upcoming hassle and extra money for tools to complete the job, which would have made a wireless setup just as cost effective and no-brainer.

Have a nice day...

The dude has issues. Doesn't drink coffee and can't afford a few dollars extra for wireless.
You had a perfectly fine question. His reply shows what type of person he is. Asking you to donate money to him instead of him finding a part-time job to earn some cash.
Loser written all over that dude.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2019, 06:13:37 PM »
....I presume you understand that this isn't really an RJ11 connector - it's a 4P4C connector ....

You would mean a 6P4C as the 4P4C is different and about the only place that will be found is on the Davis serial logger. 

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2019, 06:14:38 PM »

Have a nice day...

The dude has issues. Doesn't drink coffee and can't afford a few dollars extra for wireless.
You had a perfectly fine question. His reply shows what type of person he is. Asking you to donate money to him instead of him finding a part-time job to earn some cash.
Loser written all over that dude.
Seriously? Don't need your help with garbage like this.