Author Topic: Can you read on your weather station that a storm is about to hit?  (Read 763 times)

Offline Da9L

• Contributor
I heard that you should be able to read on your preasure gauge if a storm is about to hit, but how ?

I know that Sunday afternoon a storm is supposed to hit here, but i was just curious as to how i can read it on my weather station before hand. I attached a picture of the current pressure conditions.

Does the storm usually hit hours after a sudden drop in pressure? What does it influence on the weather it self if the pressure drop is faster/slower and the range os longer/narrower?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Can you read on your weather station that a storm is about to hit?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 12:32:35 PM »
Not seeing your attachment.

There is more to it than watching the barometer and I'm sure others will expand on my explanation (and I hope they do.)

Watching the barometric pressure can be a good indicator of a coming storm. But it isn't always the case and there is no certainty. The pressure can drop and no storm hits, and the pressure can stay pretty constant and you get a storm. The best way to predict with more certainty is to have more data from other surrounding area. In other words, having access to other weather stations. It is only because of a large network of weather stations that computer models can crunch the data and make forecast predictions.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 12:34:39 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Da9L

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 12:36:55 PM »
Arh i see. And sorry for the missing attachment, i've tried another time now, hopefully it gets attached this time.

Actually this is all because i remember my parrents having an old fashioned barometer hanging in the living room, where at a certain amount of pressure a label indicated "storm". Like in this picture:

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2020, 01:01:52 PM »
That isn't much of a barometric drop in your attachment. It is normal to experience slight daily barometric ups and downs. That would not be sufficient to determine anything.

Now take a look at this drop that started about 3 to 4 days ago for my location. Last night I got hit by a big low front and it brought a decent storm with high winds and tornado warnings. The pressure dropped 21 hPa over a period of 4 days.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

When looking at barometric pressure for forecasting it is important to take a measurement every day at the same time (high noon). This is to get a better indicator of the trend. This helps negate the daily ups/downs which are normal.

But when looking at a graph you can look at it at any time of day and as long as the graph is set to show you several days, you can then determine a trend. I suppose you can look at a data table and do the same as long as the table showed readings for the same time of day.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 01:03:34 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Da9L

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2020, 01:05:12 PM »
That is some great knowledge thank you. And i did think that it wasn't too much of a drop, as I've seen worse too. And good to know that pressure isn't exclusively an indicator of an incoming storm.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2020, 01:56:27 PM »
Pressure smessure...I use this model.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zToMP6vZxSY

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 02:50:08 PM by Old Tele man »
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2020, 06:01:13 PM »
I don't always use the barometer because the students feel it first

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=5877.0

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

anything