Author Topic: Can many WiFi connected devices stall your internet traffic?  (Read 5088 times)

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
Re: Can many WiFi connected devices stall your internet traffic?
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2022, 04:56:24 PM »
I think the Radio Feed upload was part of it.

But sitting there with only two data loggers uoading, she is hooked up to work server, and the TV is streaming. Shouldn't be a heavy load.

I have no idea of any of your configuration questions except it is 32Mb Down and 5 Mb Up. Techs on the phone when  I call say S/N is good from what they see. The last configuration I did on the router was tell it to manage the "Whole Home WiFi" A few items showed up after as "Pod" connected and it seemed OK until today.

Browsed a couple threads o  forums and saw some criticism of the CPU I  this unit. "Just get a real router, better yet a mesh" was one comment.

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Weather - Photography - Astronomy - Computer Admin
  • Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2022, 01:24:50 PM »
I think the Radio Feed upload was part of it.

But sitting there with only two data loggers uploading, she is hooked up to work server, and the TV is streaming. Shouldn't be a heavy load.

I have no idea of any of your configuration questions except it is 32Mb Down and 5 Mb Up. Techs on the phone when I call say S/N is good from what they see. The last configuration I did on the router was tell it to manage the "Whole Home WiFi" A few items showed up after as "Pod" connected and it seemed OK until today.

Browsed a couple threads of forums and saw some criticism of the CPU in this unit. "Just get a real router, better yet a mesh" was one comment.

If the techs checked the S/N ratio then they probably checked the decibels so you should be good there.
QoS is quality of service and it stops a process from hogging all the bandwidth while also trying to make sure those that need it get it reliably. However, sometimes QoS get's wrong and not all routers allow you to tell it which process is a priority to you.

OFDMA is protocol that allows streaming processes to get the bandwidth they need to be effective and stop lockups by sending streaming data only to the port that asked for that stream.

WMM gives your streaming services priority over all other traffic.

So the bottom line is tweaking some or all of these protocols can give better results or sometime worse results.

The reviews talking about the CPU of your current router are pretty telling. A router is nothing more than a computer with a very specific job, and a bad CPU can wreak a lot of havoc.

One piece of advice Modem/Router combos always perform worse than two separate dedicated units (heat buildup, CPU overload, etc)

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2022, 02:24:49 PM »
Deffo need the mesh system installed. Wife said a box arrived so I suspect that's it. Will set up Friday when back home. The new modem was supposed to show up today but still waiting. Grrrrr!

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2022, 02:55:28 PM »
I have several web cameras, not all are broadcasting on my website some are security cameras inside garage front and back entryways. Total devices connected are 24 this includes several streaming TV devices Roku, firetv.

I was running a mesh system dual RT-AX86U routers using a 1-gigabyte ethernet backhaul but have since gone to just the main router and have fewer connection hiccups vs when I was on the mesh.
Randy

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2022, 09:19:45 PM »
I got the mesh setup running.

This setup was the best unit I narrowed down with three nodes and Tri Band:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08HYJQRNZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_i_KN0WPADFQ6SC16ZAXYW9?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

16 devices connected within seconds once I swapped over the SSID.

Took three power cycles of the modem to finish boot so I could get to admin page and shut down wireless.

My phone tested at the full speed the modem can pull in.

It has a QOS setting. It has entries to input what the incoming/outgoing speed ratings are. I'm not sure if I will try it or not.

Third "Two Day Delivery" of a replacement Modem failed again. I may give it 24 hours lol

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2022, 08:16:50 PM »
She had a full day of connected to work system and not one hint of a hiccup. (1 yr old W10 $3K Gaming Level machine hooked to Ethernet direct on Modem) I don't think her hardware or connection system was ever at fault.

I messed with adding devices, powering down WiFi to move a couple times, streaming TV going most of day, pretty much all weather devices, cameras etc. back on line. No Wx Radio feed yet. 30 ish devices connected.

When I did power cycle the WiFi was re-established in moments and everybody connected right away. Browsing was super smooth on every device.

I can feel the heat difference of the Modem.

Bonus is; I put the two upstairs Nodes near the Sat TV Rx's so a short wire adds VOD in my house with NIL Wired Network Backbone.

Oh yeah. Speed test without even blocking other traffic was full as advertised.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 09:28:25 PM by davidmc36 »

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2022, 07:14:03 PM »
Good to hear everything is settling down and working together properly.

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2022, 04:23:15 AM »
Well, well, well. The saga continues.

Some technicians are worth their salt.......others......not so much.

After power cycles the thing would work OK for a day or two.

Had to call them in again. Tech checked some areas that were never checked before and found a minor wiring fault at the pole out front. Then he went to the Node where the other tech supposedly checked all OK.

There was not even a carrier signal on the line. No 53 volts and no dial tone. Somehow it has been pushing data, very unreliably, over the 700 meters to my house on just the plus/minus a few volts. The whole principle is a carrier signal that is modulated with the data. I had no carrier at all. ](*,) ](*,)

He got it up from 32 to 40 at the Demarc Box and the U/L went from 2.7 to 6.3. U/L has never been that high before.

I sure hope this is the final fix! :-x
« Last Edit: April 07, 2022, 04:25:12 AM by davidmc36 »

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2022, 10:34:54 AM »
That is why I insist on knowing the password to the modem which sperate from the router password...
But finally finally the end is in sight

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2022, 04:03:04 PM »
The modem access was never an issue. PWD is right on the back. With the first of three 3000 modems that landed here I shut down WiFi and used the Mesh. Figured that would cure it lol. Was pretty hard to troubleshoot when I was being shot in the foot by an incorrectly wired service lol

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2022, 05:07:03 AM »
"KNOCK ON WOOD" It's been rock solid since the last tech visit.

I figure what happened was back about 1.5 yrs ago some A$$hat unhooked our line at the node when doing something else. It went off that day like a switch....Poof!  The following flailer failed to reconnect the carrier properly. We were pushing data with low level voltage over 700 meters by The Grace of God until there was an amount of connection breakdown he also found last week right at our pole.

All the speed tests since have been 100% identical with a marked increase in U/L speed. A solid 7 latency where before it wavered upwards of a couple dozen at times

"FACEPALM"
« Last Edit: April 14, 2022, 05:12:49 AM by davidmc36 »

anything