Weather Related Organizations > CoCoRaHS

Mass (weight) of outer cylinder

(1/3) > >>

miraculon:
I ordered a new gauge from Lucy for our local school. They are going to begin CoCoRaHS observations as soon as we site the gauge.

I weighed the outer cylinder on the Escali scale that I use for my winter measurements. For my own observations, I have a spreadsheet with the empty weights to simplify the calculation. I put a label with a number and the gram weight for when I take the measurements.

Interestingly, this new outer cylinder weighs in at 458g, which is quite a bit less than my three cylinders. (461-465g) This variation could result in readings being off by 0.01" to 0.03".

I am curious about other WxForum member's outer cylinder weights. The Escali is approved by CoCoRaHS for the "weighing method" of SWE.

I have a "500g" weight that checks in at 501g consistently.

Greg H.

CW2274:
Can't you just weight the water itself in something common or take into consideration the difference between the gauges?

miraculon:

--- Quote from: CW2274 on September 23, 2019, 04:26:13 PM ---Can't you just weight the water itself in something common or take into consideration the difference between the gauges?

--- End quote ---

When the snow and ice is a frozen mass in the bottom of the outer cylinder, weighing the total and subtracting out the empty weight is the most expedient option.

Otherwise, I would be back to melting the ice/snow of which there is no advantage to the weighing method.

Greg H.

CW2274:

--- Quote from: miraculon on September 23, 2019, 04:30:53 PM ---
--- Quote from: CW2274 on September 23, 2019, 04:26:13 PM ---Can't you just weight the water itself in something common or take into consideration the difference between the gauges?

--- End quote ---

When the snow and ice is a frozen mass in the bottom of the outer cylinder, weighing the total and subtracting out the empty weight is the most expedient option.

Otherwise, I would be back to melting the ice/snow of which there is no advantage to the weighing method.

Greg H.

--- End quote ---
Oh that frozen stuff. I have two I'll go weigh for you now. Back in a second....

CW2274:
460 and 463.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version