Author Topic: Fakebook  (Read 2992 times)

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
Re: Fakebook
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2021, 12:16:33 PM »
One really large, well directed CME from ol 'Sol, and it'll be back to potato grubbing, smoke signals, dog carts and canoes, if enough remember how to start a fire, dig a hole, and use an axe. Rather looking forward to it, but will miss all you folks here.

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2021, 01:03:30 PM »
me/more/now

The more people that like and agree, the more endorphins the brain gives off. With a click-you can have insta friends and people that agree and validate your existance.

Inflated ego. End of times.

So true. I used to see some in particular is just an online version of showing off at a party or whatever. "Look at my athlete kids etc. etc.

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2021, 02:07:04 PM »
I finally got a little SE smart phone only to communicate with my dashcam. It is strictly emergency outgoing, no VM, no Text. T-Mobile has a $3 a month plan and that's good enough for emergencies. I don't even like the cloud and avoid it if possible, it consolidates too much power into a single source and now that millennials are driving the bus, I don't trust them one inch.
What's the $3 for?  As long as they have a signal I think all cellphones have the ability to call 911 regardless of having a carrier or not, don't they?  The rest of the phone that doesn't depend on cellular data should work...wifi, bluetooth, etc.,....shouldn't it?

Are you talking about 911 services or having $3 worth of "time" to call home or somewhere else other than 911?

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2021, 02:12:42 PM »
One really large, well directed CME from ol 'Sol, and it'll be back to potato grubbing, smoke signals, dog carts and canoes, if enough remember how to start a fire, dig a hole, and use an axe. Rather looking forward to it, but will miss all you folks here.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrington_Event

We missed one of these by just nine days...

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2021, 02:18:28 PM »
me/more/now

The more people that like and agree, the more endorphins the brain gives off. With a click-you can have insta friends and people that agree and validate your existance.

Inflated ego. End of times.

So true. I used to see some in particular is just an online version of showing off at a party or whatever. "Look at my athlete kids etc. etc.

I agree that some of the facebook stuff can be nauseating but to some people it can be a lifeline, too.  It works well for shut-ins who can't get out and about, it lets them have a semblance of a social life.  I don't hold that against them.  Even to the bragging parents of the kids I hold no ill-will, so what...they're proud of their kids.  What I do object to is open, unbridled hatred spewed out in what most people would consider gutter-language...whether right, left, middle, below, or above.  I have no use for that type of activity. 

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2021, 03:11:11 PM »
So true swamp.

It's can be more nefarious than just bragging.

A "Life-Line" for some. True also.

But us folks who are mobile and working etc. etc. .... it's more brain rot than anythign.

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2021, 03:18:21 PM »
Yes, 911 works without service, but sometimes an emergency might be ordering a pizza, so I opted for some time - which BTW I never use.

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2021, 03:42:28 PM »
Gotcha, Steve.  How much time do you get for $3?

My biggest gripe is that here at home our cell service is dismal.  We may have service...we may not.  I've driven into town with no signal at all until I get right to the edge of town and suddenly almost full signal.  #-o  What gives with that?  Are they directing the signal *that* much?  If we had a good enough signal at home I would drop Centurystink's voice line in a heartbeat...we still couldn't cut Centurystink off completely as they're the only Internet provider...a blazingly fast 3/.5 dl/ul speed DSL connection.<sigh>

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2021, 03:53:53 PM »
I have a smart phone and I would be lost with out it.
It consists of 85% weather.
10% fishing.
5% sports.
It's so nice to have so much weather info at your fingertips. Constantly perusing Google Play for the latest weather app.
As for facebook I got an account to try and hook up with some old high school friends but quickly found out that they had moved on so it pretty much is useless. I do have a twitter account again for weather related stuff. It's great during hurricanes and severe weather to get instant updates on whats happening.
If it wasn't for weather my life would be pretty boring. :-)
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2021, 06:13:01 PM »
It's called PayGo, looks like 100 minutes. I put in $10, they draw on it and when needed pull another $10. It's says Ultramobile? - when it connects, it connects to T-Mobile.
https://www.ultramobile.com/paygo/

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2021, 07:10:08 PM »
...we can skin a buck..we can run a trout line....and a country boy can survive...

Offline TraderGary

• Stock Market Wizard
  • Forecaster
  • Amateur Radio W9VJ
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2021, 10:06:56 PM »
I too would be totally lost without my smartphone.
I have a Pixel 3XL and my provider is Google Fi.
I have unlimited calling to anywhere and I pay for data at $1/GB.
We have an excellent Comcast WiFi connection with a fast speed of 240 GB.
Kate and I both work from home and have for years so with our WiFi we almost never actually pay for data.
We both have Pixel 3XL smartphones and our total monthly cost is usually less than $35.
As my profile name would suggest, I trade stocks for a living and I've traded full time for 25 years.
I trade with Interactive Brokers and their Android app is superb with real-time charts and data feed.
I trade with their professional Trader Workstation on my Windows 10 PC and their Android phone app works great when away from my PC.
I belong to several special interest forums and they work great on Android when away from my Windows 10 PC.
I actively text with friends and family as well as talk on the phone of course.
It's always nice to phone Davis or any vendor of any of my tech devices, without having to think about cost.
My computers, my smartphone, my forums, and of course my new Davis Weather Station have truly been a lifeline with the pandemic isolation.
I love technology!
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus 6163 (Wireless) | Davis WeatherLink Live 6100 | Meteobridge Pro
WeatherLink | WundergroundCWOPAWEKASWindy

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2021, 06:10:57 AM »

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2021, 07:59:02 AM »
That piqued my interest.

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2021, 10:23:04 AM »
I have Straight Talk at $50 a month with unlimited talk/text/data  and no throttling.

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2021, 09:59:29 AM »
I have Straight Talk at $50 a month with unlimited talk/text/data  and no throttling.
Before receiving the gifted iPhone 6 I had a flip-phone and used Straight Talk.  I had told everybody that I didn't want a smart phone and didn't *need* a smart phone.  The flip-phone was good, though no texting and web use due to a tiny 1" square screen...but, I'd never used a phone for those things anyhow.  :roll:  I was satisfied with it.  I *had* bought a new (very cheap) android smart phone for Straight Talk but it kept locking up on me...as I said, it was *really* cheap...I think less than $40.  I kept using my flip-phone and the new android "smartphone" is somewhere in the back of my jeep still in the tattered Walmart bag under toolboxes, shovels, chairs, shorts, basically under half a storage shed of junk.  #-o 

When my sister gave me the iPhone it was a real eye-opener!  What was an eye-opener (besides its capabilities) was the monthly cost.  By adding it to my wife's existing monthly smart phone cellular account I ended up getting better service for LESS money!  That was a no-brainer for me, I added it to her account and haven't regretted it.

I don't know how Straight Talk's smart phone plans are but the old plan I had (that did include some web surfing and texts that I never used) was very good for voice communication.

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com