Author Topic: Weather Display Import "Note" Definition?  (Read 1199 times)

Offline jrodriguez6

Weather Display Import "Note" Definition?
« on: May 31, 2023, 10:58:04 AM »
I have had some issues trying to import Davis WLK files into WD.
I don't know if the Whole issue is this:
Note: If importing current month, it will add onto your existing log file (so go back up your logfile first, then swap the old/new data)
Note: Once the logfile has been created, then convert the log file to data file.

I'm sorry but I'm lost I have no idea what to do.

Next in red below:
It is a .wlk monthly (binary file (recommended method), and then select the .wlk file, then click on import this file.

I don't know if this Applies?

Can someone help me PLEASE.

Thanks
Joe

Offline cirrus

• Kevin Hough
  • Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus
    • Gorge-East Weather
Re: Weather Display Import "Note" Definition?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2023, 06:30:11 PM »
You might want to post your question(s) re: importing .wlk files at the weather-watch forum https://discourse.weather-watch.com/

There are people there who may have the answers to your questions and problem(s).
« Last Edit: June 02, 2023, 06:59:03 PM by cirrus »
Regards, --Kevin

Offline jrodriguez6

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2023, 09:23:13 PM »
I tried but didn't get a reply.

Thanks
Joe

Offline cirrus

• Kevin Hough
    • Gorge-East Weather
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2023, 11:10:36 PM »
I tried but didn't get a reply.

Thanks
Joe

Have you tried to email Brian the author of Weather Display? https://www.weather-display.com/contact.php
Regards, --Kevin

Offline jrodriguez6

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2023, 01:14:15 PM »
Kevin

I'm a 72 year old, retired USAF SMSgt. I learned early in my career to go to the source if you want to get the right answer.
I have been with Weather Display since Cumulus stopped working the old way.
I have only had one problem with Weather Display and that is missing data days.
I have a Davis Vantage Pro2 wifi. That has been inoperation since 2018. Connected with Davis WeatherlinkIP. I think my data problem begins with the IP transmission.
All my data shows up in the Weatherlink Windows Software. I verify that in the reports section of Weatherlink.
But In WD there are months have 2- 5 days missing. the Days that are 0.--- you cannot update. or correct. I made sure the data is in Weatherlink *.wlk files.
I have been asking Brian since I purchased the WD software for a way to correct my data. He Explains how to do correct the issue in Professional or Expect Terms.
I'm sorry but I have asked him to expain in simpler terms but he has stopped repling to my request on the email side.
I don't know why because I have looked on the WD Fourm with other people he is very informative.
It's a shame because the WD program is great I recommend to others. But, I just can't one issue fixed on my end.
Thanks Again Kevin

Joe

Offline cirrus

• Kevin Hough
    • Gorge-East Weather
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2023, 05:51:29 PM »
I have had some issues trying to import Davis WLK files into WD.
I don't know if the Whole issue is this:
Note: If importing current month, it will add onto your existing log file (so go back up your logfile first, then swap the old/new data)
Note: Once the logfile has been created, then convert the log file to data file.

I'm sorry but I'm lost I have no idea what to do.

Next in red below:
It is a .wlk monthly (binary file (recommended method), and then select the .wlk file, then click on import this file.

I don't know if this Applies?

Can someone help me PLEASE.

Thanks
Joe

Okay... Yes, you do need to first tick the "It is a .wlk monthly (binary file (recommended method), and then select the .wlk file, then click on import this file." box. (i.e. tick the box first, then choose the .wlk file.)

After you have chosen the 2023-05.wlk file then click the import button. When I did this it started to import and then hung, but I just left it and eventually a  Finished! message appeared. I then opened the WD 52023lg.txt in Notepad++ and saw the first line had the path to the log file (i.e. C:\wdisplay\logfiles\52023lg.txt. That isn't supposed to be there! (Obviously a bug!) So I just copied the next line beginning with 01 05 2023 00 01 and replaced that line error with the copied line. Then I changed that new copied line starting with 01 05 2023 00 01 to 01 05 2023 00 00  (Logfile days have to start with dd mm 00 00 and end with dd mm 23 59) Then at the end of the 52023lg.txt file I also found it ended with a line 0000 after the 31 05 2023 23 59 line. That shouldn't be there either so I deleted it. Then I converted the 52023lg.txt to a data file and it converted okay.

I'm sorry you are having this problem. This is best that I can do to explain the process to import WLink data. Best wishes!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 05:53:14 PM by cirrus »
Regards, --Kevin

Offline jrodriguez6

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2023, 07:07:08 PM »
Kevin

Thanks for the Reply, and all the Work you did.
I just got back from Church.
I will work on this later tonight.

Thanks Again.
I hope I can get this to work I want to fix all the bad months.

Joe

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2023, 02:54:27 AM »
And if it works out for you, you might want to keep an eye on the Averages/Extremes or Detailed Climate Report to ensure your data imported correctly. I've had days w/ 140 or so for a high temp, -50 or so for lows pop up now & then. Odd rain too.

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit
www.LasCruces-Weather.com   www.EastMesaWeather.com

Offline jrodriguez6

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2023, 06:44:37 AM »
Cienega32

Thanks, Yes I check my results daily. I still Download the WeatherlinkIP daily.

Now, I know I can get a good report from the Weatherlink.com Site. I just hate having to Pay to get my Reports.

But I know they are right.

Thanks

Joe

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2023, 10:01:55 AM »
I get some squirrely numbers now & then when I import .wlk files into WDisplay. Nowhere near as bad as it was years ago. Brian definitely cleaned up some past issues but they still creep into my import attempts here & there.

I check the wlk files that do it w/ a great utility called WLKReaderWrite (by Jeff Ruys) & I never find an issue in the wlk - just on the import. 

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit
www.LasCruces-Weather.com   www.EastMesaWeather.com