Author Topic: PeetBros Rain Gauge TB issue  (Read 392 times)

Offline xavier188

PeetBros Rain Gauge TB issue
« on: May 11, 2020, 07:36:27 AM »
Morning,
I have a Rain Gauge TB (item TBRG) from PeetBros with Ultmeter800 and it doesn't count anymore. I have on the console, 0.00mm while it is raining a lot.
It always worked well before!
If I disconnect the connector from the Box junction, the counter remains the same, while if I disconnect the anemometer, the console displays an error. So, I am not able to know if it's the plug, the wire or the device which has a failure. Do you have a protocol for troubleshooting? Voltage or continuity measurements to be made on the Rain Gauge or any other possibility to help me out?
Regards
WX station : Peet Bros ULTIMERTER 800 + Rain Gauge TB + Anenometer Pro + Solar Radiation Shield + temperature/humidity Sensor + Weather Picture

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
Re: PeetBros Rain Gauge TB issue
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2020, 03:43:13 PM »
Have you easy access to the rain gauge?

I would recommend opening the gauge up to see if there is anything obviously wrong with the tipping mechanism.  I've have insects build nests around the tipping part and keep it from moving. 

If it is hard to get access to you might try pouring some water in the top slowly and listen to see if you can hear it tipping with a sort of a thunk each time it rocks back and forth.

If you can get to it and open it easily and there is no obvious insect nest or such, (and look for a broken wire, etc, all of which I've had), the next thing I'd suggest is shorting the two wires together.  I have one where the wires attach to a solder point and is easy to do with a short piece of wire, and others where the switch is well insulated.  If you can try touching the two wires together and opening them back up with a jumper wire, again slowly perhaps once every ten seconds, and see if the count is seen on the console.

That would be a start.  You could have a bad switch that doesn't close the wire connection when it tips, and you might have bad connections where the wires plug into the junction box as they arrive from the sensors and where the final wire goes to the console.
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline xavier188

Re: PeetBros Rain Gauge TB issue
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2020, 09:20:45 AM »
I'm checking the wires. Continuity ok between the gauge to the jonction box. I measured the resistance to each tilt, nothing.

Then I dusted off the photosensitive sensor a bit and it worked! Surely dust then

Thanks for help
WX station : Peet Bros ULTIMERTER 800 + Rain Gauge TB + Anenometer Pro + Solar Radiation Shield + temperature/humidity Sensor + Weather Picture