Author Topic: Poles and pole receptacles for weather station mounts  (Read 13353 times)

Offline gfmucci

• Senior Contributor
Poles and pole receptacles for weather station mounts
« on: December 28, 2009, 08:29:33 PM »
I'm deliberating various methods to install a six to eight foot pole for a Vantage Vue all-in-one.  Davis recommends mounting the unit 5 to 8' off the ground in an open grassy area.

The Vantage Vue installs on a pole 1" to 1"3/4" in diameter.

Since the location for the initial installation of a weather station is often experimental, I do not want to install the pole into a "permanant" concrete base at this time.  I would prefer the pole to be reasonably portable.  I have been looking at the following devices for securing the pole into the ground:

The Twister Ground Socket http://www.duncraft.com/Twister-Ground-Socket-P409C0.aspx?UserID=12270095&SessionID=I0h4oOxJHfMd1e3rZYul which takes up to a 1" diameter pole.

The Pole Auger http://www.poleauger.com/Home.aspx which takes poles up to 2" in diameter.

And a variety of other devices here ----> http://www.shadeusa.com/beach_umbrella_holders.htm#sandgrabber

The Vantage Vue weighs about 4.5 pounds. 

I'm wondering what pole anchoring setups have been used, and what your thoughts are about any of the options I set forth above.

Offline tomcj2

• Forecaster
    • CanbyWeather
Re: Poles and pole receptacles for weather station mounts
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 08:41:15 PM »
I would probably try to save the $20 and just buy a top rail for link fencing and bury it 18 to 24 inches in the ground.  If your soil is soft enough you may be able to just pound it in.  When you settle on the permanent location you could pull it up and concrete it in properly.  (or if you were like me it would probably stay as is forever)

Davis VP2 (6163), WL 5.9.0..  VWS 14.01 p25, Panasonic HM371A camera. WU & W4U KORCANBY3, CoCoRaHS OR-CC-27

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 08:59:18 PM »
If you don't have a problem with folks stealing stuff from your yard, you could always use an antenna tripod mount placed on the ground along with a vertical 1 - 1-3/4" pipe to attach the VantageVue to. That way, you could move it around until you find the appropriate spot for permanent placement.

Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 09:32:40 PM »
Along the same thoughts as mentioned, save your money since it's temporary and you could just use 3 or 4 guy lines from the top of the pole stretched out with equal spacing, pegged into the ground. If you have the pole already you just need some rope and stakes/pegs.

Offline mmorris

• Forecaster
  • Hope your day is full of sunshine
    • Weather and Racin
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 10:32:38 PM »
If your want it placed in the sun year around this is a good time of year to figure where the sun is and where the shadows are and you should be good for the summer as the sun will be higher in the sky.

The weather station people I feel sorry for are the ones that live in those Dictatorship development you know those better home and garden neighbor hoods. Guess that why I've always stayed in my little two bedroom home with detached garage in the country where your neighbors are far enough away that it easier to call them on the phone then to holler at them. Where you can have bonfire and shoot off 8 inch firework on the forth of July walk out the back door with your shot gun and go hunting or put up a 60 foot tower with the biggest moon racker ant you can find. Boy that was fun,.. \:D/  
>>Miles<<  By from Portage Lakes, OH.
Been using VWS since 1996 Ver# 14.01P43
Wireless Vantage Pro2Plus Serial Data Logger, Anemo Tran Kit
Win XP, Firefox, WXSIM, Cumulus, NexStorm, Yawcam, VVP, BadBlue Web server, Quake Catcher Net
Follow me on twitter
Vietnam era Veteran USAF bb loader
Quadruple Bypass survivor

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 10:57:41 PM »

I'm wondering what pole anchoring setups have been used, and what your thoughts are about any of the options I set forth above.

Once you decide where you're going to put it for good, consider mounting the pole to a mailbox post.  That gives you a place to put other stuff, plus you can point the long "arm" north like a compass.

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=3628.0
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Strgazr27

• "The Cam Man"
  • Forecaster
    • Kings Park Weather
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 11:13:51 PM »
A 10' treated 4x4 is a great option. It can be installed with a simple post hole digger deep enough to be perfectly stable yet can be easily pulled up if your not happy with your choice of location. When you do settle on a spot it can be concreted in place, painted and won't rust or corrode. Here's what mine looks like.

Bobby M.
Davis VP2 6152 w Daylight FARS - Logitech C525 and C310
WD - WDLive - GRLevel3 - Image Salsa - VVP - Startwatch

"http://www.kingsparkweather.com"
KNYKINGS7 on WU

Offline gfmucci

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 11:26:56 PM »
Thanks for all your thoughtful replies so far.

Unfortunately, I do live in a highly deed restricted area on a relatively small lot.  The best spot for the unit from an operational perspective is near the rear property line, along an area where the 440 volt electric, phone and cable run underground.  I did have Molly Molecule or whatever they call themselves here mark where the underground utilities are located.  I don't dare go down more than a foot with a metal object.  As I think about it, that $25 composite screw-in gizmo may be worth the price in my situation.  And I really dont want to just "lay out" a $200 component in the back yard for the taking

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 11:41:34 PM »
Most utility ordinances require that utilities be buried at least 2 feet below grade. In areas where you have deep frost the requirement is likely to be even deeper so, digging down 12 to 18 inches shouldn't be a problem when placing a post in the ground. You should be able to determine your local laws on-line or by calling an electrical contractor and asking.

Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline Tuckersnator

• White Oak Hill Weather
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 11:54:10 AM »
are you not able to attach it to your dwelling? here is my semi-permanent mount.
http://sites.google.com/site/whiteoakhillweather/projects/weather

Offline gfmucci

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2009, 07:19:35 PM »
I like your installation and your web site.  A bit chilly up there, eh?

I'm not sure a roof mount would be allowed in my neighborhood - deed restrictions against anntennae and related gizmos.  I don't want to push my luck and go through all that work only to have to remove it.

I'm basing my proposed installation on these guidelines from the Vantage Vue installation guide:

"Ideally, mount the ISS so that it is between 5’ (1.5 m) and 7’ (2.1 m) above the
ground in the middle of a gently sloping or flat, regularly mowed grassy or naturally
landscaped area that drains well when it rains."

You have followed the optional approach:

"You can also mount the ISS on the roof, between 5’ (1.5 m) and 7’ (2.1 m) above the roof surface. For areas
with average maximum yearly snow depths over 3’ (0.9 m), mount the ISS at least
2’ (0.6 m) above this depth."