Author Topic: man, it must be childproof cause I can't do it !  (Read 4807 times)

Offline DaveCason

man, it must be childproof cause I can't do it !
« on: October 19, 2009, 08:51:17 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I have been hurting my brain trying to figure out how I set my sea level presseure for my WMR968 station and do the calulation stuff for Calgary, AB  (Alt 3793 ft) can anyone walk me thru how to set this stuff please?  :oops:

Cheers'
Dave

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
Re: man, it must be childproof cause I can't do it !
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 09:02:38 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I have been hurting my brain trying to figure out how I set my sea level presseure for my WMR968 station and do the calulation stuff for Calgary, AB  (Alt 3793 ft) can anyone walk me thru how to set this stuff please?  :oops:

Cheers'
Dave

Nothing to it!

1. Determine (a) the current station temperature and (b) the station temperature from
12 hours ago.
2. Compute the average of the above two temperatures.
3. Convert the average temperature to Kelvin by adding 273.1 to the Celsius value.
4. Compute the scale height H = RdT/g, where Rd = 287.1 J/(kg K) and g = 9.807 m/s2.
Be sure to record H to at least 4 significant figures (unless you are using MathCad, in
which case full precision is maintained automatically).
5. Compute the sea level pressure psl from
psl = p0 exp(z0/H)
where p0 is the observed pressure and z0 is the altitude above sea level where you made
your pressure observation (provided by the instructor).
6. The above procedure yields the standard sea level pressure that is used on weather maps.
But pilots are interested in another form of sea level-corrected pressure, called the altimeter
setting. It is computed in the same way as psl, but an assumed temperature profile
corresponding the U.S. Standard Atmosphere is utilized instead of the actual temperature.
The correction from observed pressure to altimeter setting is therefore always constant for
a low-elevation station like ours. The correction for this exercise will be given in class
by the instructor. Altimeter setting is always provided in inches of mercury rather than
millibars, so the procedure is to convert your observed station pressure to inches of mercury
(to the nearest 0.01”) and then add the specified correction to obtain the altimeter setting.

I told you it was easy!   :roll:

But seriously,  here is a "fill in the blanks" way to do it:

http://www.cs.drexel.edu/~dbrooks/globe/pressure.html

or a google search on calculating the pressure:

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=adjust+sea+level+pressure&aq=f&aqi=&oq=&fp=2755c6b3e9b2e9
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline DaveCason

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 09:27:46 PM »
Hey Greg !

Thanks for the info nut.....Uhhhh - What!?!   (grin)

OK, the current temp is 3.8 deg C now and it was 8.7 yesterday.
The average is + 6.2 Deg right!?  So to Kelvin is 279.3
And I'm now maxed out !  Dunno what scale height is or how to do that formula.

The website with the Java script will be 3793 to meters or 1156m now where do I get the
pressure in mb to add to the second box from my local airport or.... ?

I'm a computer geek so math is pretty much optional! (grin)

Cheers'
Dave

Offline sam2004gp

• Mount Crawford, Virginia
  • Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
    • Mount Crawford Weather, VA
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 09:33:53 PM »
SAM --->>> http://www.mountcrawfordweather.org
OS WMR-968 with a Dedicated PWS Weather Computer running VWS v13.01 p09

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 09:36:22 PM »
Dave,
Not sure where Greg was going with that one.  I think you are looking for the simple way to set the console?

At 8:05pm (Mountain time)  got to the enviro canada site for Calgary.  Make sure the site says
http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/city/pages/ab-52_metric_e.html

Observed at: Calgary Int'l Airport
Date: 8:00 PM MDT Monday 19 October 2009

Press the Baro part of 968 console till it says 'Sea Level',
Press and hold the Set button till the number starts flashing.
Press the up or down button until the number in the baro area says exactly what the EC website says.
Then press set.

You are done.  you wont need to touch again till a reset, or it drifts an mb or two over time.

Andrew
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 09:38:39 PM by mackbig »

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 09:48:12 PM »
I thought he wanted to know how to calculate the pressure.  Then, after I posted, I thought about putting it into the console.  Andrew, you are exactly right about entering it into the console.

The equation thing was meant as a joke.  (I know I sure didn't understand it!   :oops:   )

Luckily for me, I live between Chattanooga and Knoxville and the elevations aren't that much different, so I can just go with one or the other or go with the average.

Looking at some of the weather stations around Calgary, it seems like the elevations can have big differences within small distances.   :shock:  Sounds  like pretty steep terrain around there!

In the CWOP Guide, starting on page 22 of 88, there is a whole section concerning barometric pressure and figuring it out.

Good luck with it! 
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 11:26:34 PM »
I knew that part was a joke... but when I saw the "but seriously ..." and it was not the click click click.

He should be ok depending on where he lives.  Calgary has foothills on west side, but I thought the city was fairly flat.   downtown and the airport are the exact same altititude.  Seems about 100m variance east west.

Andrew

The equation thing was meant as a joke.  (I know I sure didn't understand it!   :oops:   )

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 11:47:12 PM »
Flatlanders would think it flat.  :)  Calgary's elevations can vary by almost 500 feet depending on which part o the city you are in.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 06:56:37 AM »
Calgary is massive geographically considering when founded (city area defined as 280 sq miles, with 1 million people, Toronto has 2.5 million in 250 sq miles, Metro numbers are even more skewed), oil boom finally filled it up with some people to go along with its size.  Someone definitely had some vision when it was created.  I guess its all relative, when you see the rockies in the distance, and a half hour drive you are deep into them... it does appear pretty flat to us folks back east.  Toronto even has a 440 foot rise from the lake to the "highlands"...  :lol:

Andrew

Flatlanders would think it flat.  :)  Calgary's elevations can vary by almost 500 feet depending on which part o the city you are in.

Offline port1

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009, 09:04:02 AM »
Dave,

Press the Baro part of 968 console till it says 'Sea Level',
Press and hold the Set button till the number starts flashing.
Press the up or down button until the number in the baro area says exactly what the EC website says.
Then press set.

You are done.  you wont need to touch again till a reset, or it drifts an mb or two over time.

Andrew

Dave:
Exactly the way Andrew trained me to set my console to sea level barometer reading!
He's an expert.  Follow his advice, sir!  ;)
 :-)

Henry
KNYFLORA5
WMR968
VWS v14.00 p73
CoCoRaHS NY-NS-7
CWOP DW1891
SKYWARN 09-148

Offline DaveCason

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 07:35:05 PM »
Yep Henry I did that!  And it worked Andy's da man!

Yea, it's probably the way I asked the question !  (grin)

Anyway it's set but I now have the odd error in my cool copy of Free WX/Wi
that for some reasion is showing a red error in both the indoor temp and the
indoor humidity field on the PC screen .... no clue why!  Never saw it before ....

Now the base station is happy and it's showing the same reading as the remote
cable free 433 indoor unit, any ideas gentleman!?   :???:

Cheers'
Dave

Offline DaveCason

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 07:47:22 PM »
DOH !

Hey BTW - where does the unit get it's field called barometer and the trend field cause they're both red and
showing a error too on the PC screen!   Is that from the outdoor sensor?

ALSO - now the base station is also showing dashes ( ---- ) in all those fields that are screwed on the base station
and again thats the indoor temp and humidity and both of the baro fields!!  Hummm .... 

BTW - Calgary is flat by Vancouver standards the D/T core is sorta in one valley and then the next areas are
up on a plateau (trans can highway)and then theres one more hill on the west side (called broadcast hill) and
the same big bugger on the east side (called nose hill).

I have a GPS unit so my elev is pretty exact .... I hope!  (grin)

Cheers'
Dave

Offline port1

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2009, 07:47:48 PM »
 :?  Are you "scrolling" through the different temperature channels on the console, as it can display three?
It "beeps" everytime you tap the console, and the display changes from channel 1, to 2 and then 3.
Is that what you're referring to?

I'm not familiar with your software.  Sorry...can't help you with that.
If in doubt, as my professor always told me...reboot!  ;)

8-)
Henry
KNYFLORA5
WMR968
VWS v14.00 p73
CoCoRaHS NY-NS-7
CWOP DW1891
SKYWARN 09-148

Offline port1

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2009, 07:49:57 PM »
 :-| the dashes (----) mean you lost the signal/channel for that instrument to the console.  ;)
Do you know the process to force a search?
 8-)

Henry
KNYFLORA5
WMR968
VWS v14.00 p73
CoCoRaHS NY-NS-7
CWOP DW1891
SKYWARN 09-148

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2009, 07:55:28 PM »
Dave,
Check your sensor batterires, and is the console on ac (and batteries), make sure the plug did not fall out or get kick out of the wall.

Baro readings come from your indoor temp sensor.  If that gets low your readings will plument then skyrocket or vise versa, but might also cause dashed.

No idea on the software you are running though.

Andrew

Offline DaveCason

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2009, 07:58:40 PM »
Hi Henry,

Nope I don't see the channels but I did press and hold down the channel button to get the
base station to go look for a new channel ... all four fields are still dead on the base unit
(showing dashes) and the WX software still shows red "error" messages on all four fields.

Maybe I'll try to change the batts in the indoor sensor and see if that fixes it.

My question about the baro was becasue the outdoor temp is showing up fine and I was not sure
if both readings come from the same sensor ....

I'll go swap batterys for the indoor sensor and check it when I get back home tonight!

Cheers'
Dave

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2009, 08:07:09 PM »
Batteries in the indoor sensor would be my first guess, too.

I ran Free Wx/Wi for a while and really liked it.  But then my rh sensor died and I had to start using channel 1 which FreeWx did not support.

If you keep having trouble, try WUHU and see if the problem is duplicated.  If not, it's a FreeWX problem.  If so, it is a 968 or a cable problem.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2009, 09:17:22 PM »
Ah, dump that POS and get a Davis VP2.  Isn't that right Andrew (Mackbig)?  :)
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2009, 09:58:36 PM »
I wont forget where I came from....
Andrew

Offline sam2004gp

• Mount Crawford, Virginia
  • Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
    • Mount Crawford Weather, VA
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2009, 06:47:08 AM »
I wont forget where I came from....
Andrew

A humble man.   :-)
SAM --->>> http://www.mountcrawfordweather.org
OS WMR-968 with a Dedicated PWS Weather Computer running VWS v13.01 p09

Offline port1

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2009, 06:48:09 AM »

Ah, if $ only grew on trees, what we could accomplish, eh?
 :-)

Henry
KNYFLORA5
WMR968
VWS v14.00 p73
CoCoRaHS NY-NS-7
CWOP DW1891
SKYWARN 09-148

anything