Author Topic: This Weeks Full Moon  (Read 11706 times)

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
This Weeks Full Moon
« on: April 27, 2010, 10:16:32 PM »
   This is from Spaceweather.com. The Full Moon this week has a special name accorrding to folklore. It is called the "Sprouting Grass" Moon because it shines down on the new grass of Spring.  Go to www.spaceweather.com for more.
    For fun it says to go outside after it gets dark and see if the grass looks blue or green. 

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: This Weeks Full Moon
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 10:51:49 PM »
   This is from Spaceweather.com. The Full Moon this week has a special name accorrding to folklore. It is called the "Sprouting Grass" Moon because it shines down on the new grass of Spring.  Go to www.spaceweather.com for more.
    For fun it says to go outside after it gets dark and see if the grass looks blue or green. 

Ours looks brown because of the lack of rain. ;)

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 04:14:52 PM »
Ours looks brown because of the lack of rain. ;)
    I know how that is.  But mine is getting better after 2+ inches of rain over the weekend and early part of this week.

Offline martyd9987

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 11:10:00 PM »
I saw a really cool moon last night.  It was just a sliver of a moon, but it was huge.  It was not long after dark. The color was a dark orange.  I have never seen a moon quite like this. What does it mean?

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 11:34:10 PM »
    The Moon appears orange as a result of dust in the atmosphere.  This causes scattering of the light making it "appear" orange. The same phenomena occurrs during a Lunar Eclipse.  When the Earth passes between the Sun and Moon the light passes through the Earth's atmosphere. I took the picture below of a Total Lunar Eclipse through my telescope.  It was 17 Aug 1989.  It had a very orange color even more than this image indicates.  I had to crop it down so I could attach it here.
     Mark

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 02:01:05 PM »
And there's a lot of interest in the upcoming eclipse, due to all the volcanic ash that's been floating around this year.

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit
www.LasCruces-Weather.com   www.EastMesaWeather.com