Author Topic: New Stuff - Ecowitt Has the Newest Fine Offset Hardware  (Read 58461 times)

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
New Stuff - Ecowitt Has the Newest Fine Offset Hardware
« on: January 31, 2019, 02:22:38 PM »
It seems like Ecowitt has the newest Fine Offset hardware. Fine Offset is the manufacture of the hardware (same as what Ambient Weather sells). We have all seen their version of the WS-2902A which they call the WH2910C and the WS-2000 version which they call HP2551. Their sensor array looks a bit different in that it just has two sides instead of 3 sides with the Ambient Osprey series. I think the Ecowitt version may be better for keeping snow off. You can also see this two sided version on Fine Offset's website: www.foshk.com

Well that is not all they have coming up. It seems that I have just discovered posted today on Amazon is a complete weather station with separate components. I'm talking separate rain gauge and separate anemometer. We've seen the rain gauge a few months back. I learned about it when they started selling custom bird spikes. When I saw that separate rain gauge I suspected that the anemometer was not far off. And well here it is and ready to ship from Amazon.

It is the Ecowitt HP3501 and it isn't even listed in their website. None of this is listed in Fine Offset's website either. I guess they are slow to update their sites.
https://www.amazon.com/ECOWITT-Wireless-Anemometer-Self-Emptying-Collector/dp/B07MZ3YV64/

You can also get all these other accessory sensors and what seems is a new version of the ObserverIP called GW1000. It supports all these separate component sensors. You can essentially build your own complete weather station.
https://www.amazon.com/ECOWITT-Gateway-Temperature-Humidity-Pressure/dp/B07JLRFG24/

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Here is the missing piece I had not seen until today, the anemometer:

The separate rain gauge has a larger diameter than the Osprey type rain gauge that we are used to. I hope it is more accurate, not that I ever felt the Osprey was inaccurate, on the contrary I thought it was very accurate. Yet it is larger so it must be better.

That is not all. We all love the ambientweather.net web service that allows us to see all our WS-2000 and WS-2902A sensors. Well Ecowitt has the exact same thing but better. It is called ecowit.net and it seems to be running a newer version of the same web server software. It has a dark background which I like better. And it includes a map where you can find all other Ecowitt stations much like the old Davis Weatherlink.com. It always surprised me that on ambientweather.net the Community link just took you to a static page on Ambient's site instead of map. I always felt it needed a map. With Ecowitt this same link placement is called "Weather Map."

See Ambient for comparison....and when you look at the graphs you can tell it is the same software.

And the Ecowitt map has just a few stations now. Like 3 in the US and 9 in China.

With Amazon you can often see the history of a product to see when it first listed. Sometimes the data isn't there. Another resource I like to use to see how long that product has been for sale on Amazon is CamelCamelCamel but they are down at the moment because of crashed server hard drives. So I used Keepa.com which is similar and the price history on these new items shows that they were just listed today January 31, 2019.

I think Ambient will eventually offer the same hardware. I can't see them not doing so. We already heard from Ambient that they have updated the firmware on the WS-2000 for the PM2.5 air quality sensor and we know they are working on other sensors. So I'd say all this is coming from Ambient, but for now it seems Ecowitt has beat them to the launch.

Some users here are signed up to beta test some GW1000 sensors (myself included). This sorta lets the cat out of the bag of how big this really is though.

Strange to see all this launch now just before Spring Festival (Chinese New Year). I guess its going to be a good year, I think.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 03:57:59 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: New Stuff - Ecowitt Has the Newest Fine Offset Hardware
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 03:10:44 PM »
Here are some more screenshot of Ecowitt.net.  Like a newer nicer version of ambientweather.net. Very nice dark theme. Very nice calendar selection option where you can click on specific date instead of going one day at time or one month at a time. The data export is done to .xlsx (Excel format) instead of .csv (comma separated values).

« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 03:19:41 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 03:21:26 PM »
Here is a small window of the Ecowitt map. This can be much larger if you run full screen. I just made a small window for this screenshot.

Tele-Pole

Offline kbellis

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 03:34:38 AM »
Thanks for the heads up!

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 11:30:32 AM »
Thanks guys. Useful to see.
I have been exploring this for the last week in anticipation of my new suite of Ecowitt kit (HP2550 with Tri arm sensor array and Gw-1000 and PM2.5 + soil Moisture sensor)
I am counting down the clock til the New year festivities end in Feb and the kit is shipped to me!
For reference since Ecowitt is FO you can pretty much get anything and mix and match if you ask them.
I wanted the HP2550 (WS-2000) display with the 3 arm array (Osprey) which is not shown on the Ecowitt site but they are happy to send it to me.

Galfert are you using your station to feed Ecowitt.net with ambient firmware or is it someone elses data that you are showing?
Just wondering as I shall be curious to see what firmware version to use as I understand that the Ecowitt kit should talk directly to the ecowitt.net servers as a default option in their version of the firmware.

One thing I do know about the ecowitt.net site is it does not yet support Amazon Alexa or Google like the ambient.net version but that it is in development. If they are basically the same platform I assume that it wont take too long.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 11:43:39 AM by Mandrake »
G1ZFO

Ecowitt HP2551A + WH65 Tri-Wing (Wunderground: IGUILDFO67)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Wunderground: IGUILDFO68)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Mk2) test environment driving CumulusMX on a RPi 3b
Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)
Ecowitt WS90 Wittboy - Test
Ecowitt WH51 (x6) Soil Moisture Sensor
Ecowitt WH41 PM2.5 AQM Sensor
Ecowitt WH31 (x8) Thermo/Hygro Sensor
Ecowitt WS80 Ultrasonic Anemometer (pre-prod test)
Ecowitt WH57 Lightning Sensor -test
Ecowitt WH32-EP (SHT35) + Davis 7714 Screen
Ecowitt WH45 CO2/PM2.5/PM10 -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Soil Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Water Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN35 Leaf Moisture

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 12:38:30 PM »
No, you can't feed Ecowitt.net with Ambient branded console nor the other way around. It might be possible to run the firmware of one brand on the hardware of the other. But that still will not let you upload data to the other online service because I they check for MAC. They each keep track of which MAC addresses they each sell. This is already being done with the Meteobridge, so I learned this a long time ago. If you buy the Meteobridge from Ambient (called WeatherBridge) it lets you publish to Ambientweather.net. If you try and publish data to ambientweather.net with a regular Meteobridge it gets blocked, unless you pay the $150 license for the privileged to send to ambientweather.net.

* UPDATE - March 2020 - Ambientweather.net license for Meteobridge has new lower price, now just $100

As for Alexa and Google support I'm sure the API is already built in to Ecowitt.net as it is the same software as ambientweather.net and it is just waiting on the skill to be published and made available on each platform.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 09:50:07 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline tnelson

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2019, 03:33:36 PM »
Has anyone been able to order the anemometer? Doing a search, it only seems to be referenced on the Amazon site. I don't even see it at Ecowitt.

Tom

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2019, 04:35:58 PM »
I don't buy from Rainforest Jeff
And I don't buy things that need web gateways to show me something in my own house.  No static wall mount console to work without the web, no money from me.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2019, 05:10:20 PM »
I don't buy from Rainforest Jeff
And I don't buy things that need web gateways to show me something in my own house.  No static wall mount console to work without the web, no money from me.

You don't have to buy it from Amazon. You can also buy it directly from Ecowitt at www.ecowitt.com (not all parts are yet available so I'm sure they will update soon). Also there are several consoles to pick from that were not shown in the links above. Think of the gateway device like the new Davis WeatherLink Live (WLL) or the Acurite Access where you can still have a separate console.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 05:14:41 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline WA4OPQ

• Forecaster
  • 4 stations: 2902 array, GW1000, 3 on Meteobridge
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2019, 04:40:32 PM »
If Meteobrige would support this new hardware I'd be so excited. I'm too entrenched in the Meteobridge world to consider otherwise.

Offline Shvedi

« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 11:09:44 AM by Shvedi »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2019, 12:17:49 PM »
For anyone interested if you already own an Osprey WH65 sensor array station (WS-2000, WS-2902A, WS-1550-IP) it will send data that the Ecowitt GW1000 can pick up. Nothing to do...it just shows up in the GW1000 automatically. There is also a settings change in the Ecowitt WS View app that you use to manage the GW1000, and this settings change allows you to select the older sensor array like WS-1400-IP and the other ones that also use the WH24 outdoor sensor array (WS-1201... etc). So presumably the current and prior generation outdoor sensor arrays work. I can only confirm that it is working with the Osprey WH65 as that is what I have. So in this manner yes your data all shows up on Ecowitt.net.

So far I'm enjoying testing this GW1000 and it's extra sensors for Ecowitt. I'm working on a full review.

TIP - You can't open both Ambient's awnet app and Ecowitt's WS View app at the same time. At least in Android you need to swipe close the prior one. They both work, and they both see all three devices, my GW1000, WS-2000, and WS-2902A. But you can only use one app at a time. They pretty much are the same app anyway. But I assume you'll need to keep both installed for firmware updates to each brand device.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 10:04:09 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2019, 01:06:46 PM »
Oooh I am so jealous! Still waiting for my kit to arrive.

Just so European folks are aware (I am UK) you can order any of the kit from Ecowitt for any frequency range (433/866 or 915Mhz though for Europe you'd want either of the first two).
Contact Ecowitt via the e-mail link and they will give you a quote in US$ and a cost to ship to your locale.
This will be tested and setup by Fine Offset and shipped from China to you.

In effect if you want some of the good toys that Ambient sell (and quite a few that Ambient don't quite sell yet) then this is the place to go.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 03:11:50 AM by Mandrake »
G1ZFO

Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)

Offline MacGarage

• SW Ohio
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2019, 02:29:08 PM »
I have an Ecowitt WH2320E Weather Station (https://youtu.be/jftryOYDepY) and also an Ecowitt WH0290 Air Quality Monitor (https://youtu.be/9SJ3uuF4loo) ...both have worked well since the summer.

I probably will try the gateway and soil monitor in the spring.

Their new weather station looks great too...I think if I did not already have an Atlas, I would give it a go as well.

Ecowitt WH2320E
AcuRite Atlas

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2019, 05:02:49 PM »
Why is all this happening????  :lol:  Because Davis is asleep at the wheel! If you don't keep up with innovation then someone else will take the opportunity. We now have separate components of Wind, Rain, Temperature and humidity, plus other sensors like air quality PM2.5 and soil moisture, and future sensors like lightning and others soon. No more all-in-one compromises.

* I'm not saying that Davis doesn't deliver on other merits. And I'm still hoping for a proper VP3 with I2C sensor bus and modern display, so I can't be accused of drinking the kool-aid.

Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2019, 09:56:45 PM »
FYI the Ecowitt GW1000 has the same network chipset as the Ambient WS-2000 display tablet console.
The MAC address starts with the same first 3 octets 80:7D:3A
Doing a MAC address lookup I find that is is manufactured by  Espressif Inc.
https://www.espressif.com/

I've done a port scan and found port 45000 TCP open. But get nothing when I try Telnet, SSH, HTTP to that port. This must be the port that is used to talk to it via the WS View app, but I've got no idea what method it uses.
Tele-Pole

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2019, 03:25:11 AM »
Interesting that you did that, as it was on the list of things I was planning on doing when I get my kit. I figured that the WS View app must be communicating directly with the console/gateway if it had a live view mode. I was hoping that the app would be using an industry standard to communicate such that the data stream could be captured and manipulated.
I guess I shall be needing to do some packet captures.
I still harbour the desire to somehow get the new data into Cumulus without Weewx or the like. In theory it must be possible to read the data from the console/gateway and convert the format as needed for Cumulus to display realtime. I must admit I am not entirely sure why I am so interested in doing this as the Ecowitt equivalent of Ambient.net looks very good. I guess the only upside would be that I would have a local copy of all my data.

Does anyone know what protocol the old Easyweather IP application for PC used? Might it be the same but adapted for a phone app? Or does anyone know if a android app can be easily decompiled and understood?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 06:34:58 AM by Mandrake »
G1ZFO

Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2019, 04:20:45 AM »
Out of curiosity I asked Ecowitt (Lucy) if the new individual sensor suite will be supported by the HP2550/WS2000 console as well and the confirmation was that it would be.
Whether that's out of the box now or to come is not clear, but an exciting future I think!
The Fine Offset ecosystem is becoming very rich.

I shall look forward to someone testing the new individual sensors to review their build/sensitivity etc and judge whether to migrate the weather station to those in the future.
Exciting times.

In the meantime I shall continue to explore how to get the data stream. ( I have decompiled the WS-View app and its far beyond my programming skills these days, so that route is going to need someone better than I to figure out how the phone app talks with the console/gateways to get the live data)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 05:00:22 AM by Mandrake »
G1ZFO

Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)

Offline MacGarage

• SW Ohio
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2019, 07:42:37 AM »
I attempted to use my Ecowitt WH2320 with Ecowitt.net...will not work...looks like it is more for their other sensors..
Ecowitt WH2320E
AcuRite Atlas

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2019, 09:02:48 AM »
As far as the WH2320 is concerned, I would think its just a matter of firmware update as ecowitt.net is only months old.
Drop a message to Lucy at support@ecowitt.com and ask the question.
As the sensory array is the same for all, I guess worst case you could buy another console that does support it?
G1ZFO

Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2019, 09:23:31 AM »
...looks like it is more for their other sensors..
No it isn't just for their other sensors. Ecowitt.net is for the newest consoles that have been designed to send data there. Your sensor array will work with Ecowitt.net you just need a different console. It is as Mandrake said, where you get a firmware update on your current console that adds connectivity to Ecowitt.net, or you just need different console.

So all you need to do is buy an Ecowitt GW1000. It is only $30. It will pick up your WH2320 sensor array and then your data will end up at Ecowitt.net. The GW1000 is an extra console without a display. There is no limit on the number of consoles you have.

UPDATE: according to MacGarage in post bellow Ecowitt has said the WH2320 sensor array will not work with the GW1000. I suppose that the sensor array is different than the WH65 (or WH65B).

UPDATE 2: according to MacGarage in further post it now works. He only needed to do a firmware update.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 08:31:57 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
Easyweather2 ?
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2019, 09:34:12 AM »
Hello, has anyone tried Easyweather2 to see if it can read any of the FO weather stations via IP?
This software seems to be linked to the HP3500/3501 console but as far as I can tell if it works over IP for that it should work for the HP2550/WS2000 and perhaps the 2902 as well.

for ease the software can be found here:
http://download.ecowitt.net/down/softwave?n=EasyWeather2
G1ZFO

Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)

Offline MacGarage

• SW Ohio
  • Senior Contributor
Re: Easyweather2 ?
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2019, 10:32:45 AM »
Hello, has anyone tried Easyweather2 to see if it can read any of the FO weather stations via IP?
This software seems to be linked to the HP3500/3501 console but as far as I can tell if it works over IP for that it should work for the HP2550/WS2000 and perhaps the 2902 as well.

for ease the software can be found here:
http://download.ecowitt.net/down/softwave?n=EasyWeather2

I tried with their Macintosh version and it would not find my unit. I also tried the PC version with Parallels and it would not work either.
Ecowitt WH2320E
AcuRite Atlas

Offline MacGarage

• SW Ohio
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2019, 10:34:36 AM »
As far as the WH2320 is concerned, I would think its just a matter of firmware update as ecowitt.net is only months old.
As the sensory array is the same for all, I guess worst case you could buy another console that does support it?

If I understand correctly from Lucy, my WH2320 will not work with the GW1000. I did do the latest firmware update but no luck...will keep trying though!
Ecowitt WH2320E
AcuRite Atlas

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2019, 10:48:25 AM »

If I understand correctly from Lucy, my WH2320 will not work with the GW1000. I did do the latest firmware update but no luck...will keep trying though!

I find that hard to believe. The sensor arrays are almost all universal now. As long as the frequency of the array is the same as the Gw-1000 I would think it will work.
For US$30 or so I would give it a punt if you wanted to have the online capability.
G1ZFO

Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)

anything