Author Topic: The Davis dead horse  (Read 11517 times)

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
Re: The Davis dead horse
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2018, 08:29:02 PM »
NOTE - VP2 console can NOT transmit ALT-barometric pressure that CWOP expects to receive; the VUE console, however, CAN transmit ALT-baro pressure, should you wish to send it.

True some guys me included you and Jim have also purchased the Vue console just for accurate altimeter.
If you live below about 1000' it's generally a none issue but for the rest of us it's a big deal. The VP2 console half way fix for altimeter is set elevation at 0' and match nearby accurate altimeter (airport). This works kind of but still off when pressure goes real high or low. 

As far as which unit I wouldn't want a Vue station if they were giving them away. For the average guy however not even sure if they like watching the weather its a good starter unit.

However if you do enjoy it you may regret not getting the much more versatile and accurate vp2 with aspiration, especially if living in one of the hot regions. 
Randy

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2018, 09:28:32 PM »
software can get the needed data out of a VP2 console to calculate altimeter barometer for CWOP though

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2018, 10:02:48 PM »
True several softwares can correct pressure and upload correct altimeter to CWOP. But its limited and won't change what you actually see on console display or software dashboards many use.
Randy

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2018, 11:45:29 PM »
but some software it can be set that the altimeter value that is calculated and set to be sent to CWOP can be set to be used as the default barometer reading for all data for the software (ie so ends up in templates/dashboards, etc)

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2018, 03:39:16 AM »
but some software it can be set that the altimeter value that is calculated and set to be sent to CWOP can be set to be used as the default barometer reading for all data for the software (ie so ends up in templates/dashboards, etc)

Really I had no idea that could be done. What software?
Randy

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2018, 11:12:47 AM »
Probably WD ;)

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2018, 08:27:21 PM »
I know I'm late to the party, but I thought I'd throw in my $0.02.

I've had OS, LaCrosse, and Davis stations.  I have a VP2 and a Vue.  I'm about to sell the VP2 to a friend that wants to start in the weather station vortex of debt.

Personally, I prefer the Vue.  It's all in one and easy to work on.  I don't have it way up in the air, because I want to know what's happening where I'm at.  I never look at the console.  I look at the data on PWS Weather, CWOP, or WU.  I do prefer the Vue console to the VP2 console (the VP2 console is at my parents house on the property so they can see the weather data).  The Vue has performed flawlessly since I installed it.

The picture of the snow reminded me of a video a member posted several years ago of his Vue after a snow in the Atlanta area.  It's like a Timex:  takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlmKUceel_8[/youtube]

It all boils down to personal preference, and how deep you want to get into this.  I'm a "set it and forget it" kind of guy.  Some people like to tinker with stuff every day.  Some people want to monitor the sun or soil wetness or whatever.  Get a Vue, and if you want more, regift it to a relative or friend.  :)

Good luck and happy weather watching!  :)

My late father used to say that the best way to avoid buyer's remorse was to buy the best option of any item.  It is worth noting that he had a wired Davis anemometer on the roof of his house in 1990.

On the Vue front, maybe this picture of my Acu-Rite 5-in-1 will make your decision easier about all-in-one sensors:

I have dozens more just like it from this month alone, and will probably have more with nor'easter #4 in the 7-day model runs.  Do you think that a VP2 anemometer will clog with snow?????
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2018, 08:43:50 PM »
Personally, I prefer the Vue.  It's all in one and easy to work on.
Totally get the preference thing, and I've never owned a Vue ISS (do own the console and use it exclusively), but easier to work on than a VP2 ISS? The VP2 is so modular that replacing everything is child's play.

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2018, 08:53:59 PM »
Personally, I prefer the Vue.  It's all in one and easy to work on.
Totally get the preference thing, and I've never owned a Vue ISS (do own the console and use it exclusively), but easier to work on than a VP2 ISS? The VP2 is so modular that replacing everything is child's play.

I think so.  The rain tipper just drops out the bottom.  However, I haven't had to do extensive repairs on it (and hopefully won't).
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Parke10

« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2018, 09:24:31 PM »
The only thing really holding me back from purchasing a Vue at this point is the lack of FARS, my mindset is stuck on it being inaccurate when its 100+ degrees outside. Although since Scientific sales won't answer the phone or return my e-mails its given me a bit more time to think about it. Although at this point I wish I had SOMETHING since were supposed to get more rain this week than we usually do in a year.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2018, 10:01:20 PM »
The only thing really holding me back from purchasing a Vue at this point is the lack of FARS
I'm in Tucson. Not getting the VP2 with at least DFARS would be a huge mistake IMHO unless the wind literally blows all day long there all year long. FARS is not necessarily for hot climates, it's to overcome lack of sufficient wind to properly vent the sensor chamber be it 115F or 35F. Common misconception that FARS is only for hot climates, it just helps more so if you live in one.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2018, 10:43:21 PM »
Scientific sales won't answer the phone or return my e-mails
As just about all of us here, this is where we shop. Ryan is whom you deal with, best prices to your door.
https://www.scaledinstruments.com/

Offline Parke10

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2018, 12:46:17 AM »
I'm in Tucson. Not getting the VP2 with at least DFARS would be a huge mistake IMHO unless the wind literally blows all day long there all year long. FARS is not necessarily for hot climates, it's to overcome lack of sufficient wind to properly vent the sensor chamber be it 115F or 35F. Common misconception that FARS is only for hot climates, it just helps more so if you live in one.

I guess I should have made myself a little more clear on that, We get a breeze here and there in the summer but for the most part its pretty Stagnant air. So what you're explaining is my reasoning behind wanting it. No so much that its miserably hot, but that the wind is non existent for the most part while its hot. 

As just about all of us here, this is where we shop. Ryan is whom you deal with, best prices to your door.

With the expensive shipping scaled comes out to about $30 more than scientific.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 01:01:33 AM by Parke10 »

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2018, 01:11:03 AM »
I guess I should have made myself a little more clear on that
No, that was my obvious failed attempt at sarcasm. Just about everyone at some time or another can benefit from a FARS.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2018, 01:37:56 AM »
With the expensive shipping scaled comes out to about $30 more than scientific.
Was that Scaled's discount price list?

Offline Parke10

« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2018, 01:49:40 AM »
No, that was my obvious failed attempt at sarcasm. Just about everyone at some time or another can benefit from a FARS.

Being as sarcastic as I am on the daily, I really should have caught that! :lol:

I agree with that statement though, Would you say its worth the roughly $40 savings for the Daytime FARS vs 24 Hour? I wouldn't imagine so but its always worth asking.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 02:10:52 AM by Parke10 »

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2018, 02:10:38 AM »
I agree with that statement though, Would you say its worth the roughly $40 savings for the Daytime FARS vs 24 Hour? I wouldn't imagine so but its always worth asking.
My fan runs 24/7, but it's a computer case fan that runs off the house power as I grew tired of replacing the failed Davis fans (no idea if they're better now), plus, the much greater flow gives me the "peace of mind" knowing true ambient air is always in the chamber, even at 115F+. If you want to save the extra bucks, get the daytime only and convert to a case fan down the road should you choose, and if obviously able.

Offline Parke10

« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2018, 02:16:47 AM »
]My fan runs 24/7, but it's a computer case fan that runs off the house power as I grew tired of replacing the failed Davis fans (no idea if they're better now), plus, the much greater flow gives me the "peace of mind" knowing true ambient air is always in the chamber, even at 115F+. If you want to save the extra bucks, get the daytime only and convert to a case fan down the road should you choose, and if obviously able.

That's actually a really good idea, for the little savings it would be I'll probably go with the 24 Hour and convert it to a case fan if I become unhappy with it.

Seeing as you're familiar with my heat issue instead of the normal snow issue, I feel like your response leaves me no choice but to purchase a VP2 instead of a Vue.

Now I just have to see if Scaled will match Scientific's prices and get this thing ordered tomorrow!

...why do hobbies have to be so expensive  ](*,)

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2018, 02:34:58 AM »
]My fan runs 24/7, but it's a computer case fan that runs off the house power as I grew tired of replacing the failed Davis fans (no idea if they're better now), plus, the much greater flow gives me the "peace of mind" knowing true ambient air is always in the chamber, even at 115F+. If you want to save the extra bucks, get the daytime only and convert to a case fan down the road should you choose, and if obviously able.
Excellent choice! GL on the search.
As far as a hobbie, I'm sure I'll get a lot of :roll:, but it's more than a just hobbie to me....just sayin'...

Offline Parke10

« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2018, 03:01:42 AM »

As far as a hobbie, I'm sure I'll get a lot of :roll:, but it's more than a just hobbie to me....just sayin'...

I'm sure it'll end up being that way for me too  :lol:

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2018, 05:48:23 AM »
I know I'm late to the party, but I feel I'd be remiss if I didn't ask if you've checked on/decided on a datalogger?

That's actually a really good idea, for the little savings it would be I'll probably go with the 24 Hour and convert it to a case fan if I become unhappy with it.

Seeing as you're familiar with my heat issue instead of the normal snow issue, I feel like your response leaves me no choice but to purchase a VP2 instead of a Vue.

Now I just have to see if Scaled will match Scientific's prices and get this thing ordered tomorrow!

Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline tshattuck

• Forecaster
    • Your Local Weather - Clay, NY
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2018, 07:32:06 AM »
Parke10
I just got done reading all the posts to your question and found the responses interesting.

One thing that caught my attention is you mentioned mounting the weather station on your roof. I am hoping you only meant the Anemometer. You definitely do not want your rain gauge and temperature sensors up on your roof.
You don't want the those sensors on the roof due to skewed readings and maintenance issues. (Like a bird leaving a calling card in your rain gauge bucket). Keep in mind if you are planning on getting a wireless VP2 you have to replace the battery every couple of years.

I purchased my VP2+ from ambient weather, I don't know if they have the best prices but they are cheaper than Davis.

I have attached a link to the CWOP weather station siting recommendations web page for your info:

Good luck

http://weather.gladstonefamily.net/CWOP_Guide.pdf

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2018, 08:18:54 AM »
Parke10
I just got done reading all the posts to your question and found the responses interesting.

One thing that caught my attention is you mentioned mounting the weather station on your roof. I am hoping you only meant the Anemometer. You definitely do not want your rain gauge and temperature sensors up on your roof.
You don't want the those sensors on the roof due to skewed readings and maintenance issues. (Like a bird leaving a calling card in your rain gauge bucket). Keep in mind if you are planning on getting a wireless VP2 you have to replace the battery every couple of years.

I purchased my VP2+ from ambient weather, I don't know if they have the best prices but they are cheaper than Davis.

I have attached a link to the CWOP weather station siting recommendations web page for your info:

Good luck

Good points.. Why I wouldn't be interested in any all-in-one weather station especially with a spoon tipping bucket mounted in high location, wind would play a major roll and the inability to properly level gauge along with the inherent lack of accuracy with the spoon tipping bucket.

This video from Dyacom talks about different rain gauges they tested and some of the issues. At 3:15 mark they talk about the spoon tipping bucket shortcomings. 
[youtube]https://youtu.be/UpY82xdnOOE[/youtube]
Randy

Offline Parke10

« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2018, 12:32:02 PM »
I know I'm late to the party, but I feel I'd be remiss if I didn't ask if you've checked on/decided on a datalogger?

I actually haven't yet, I'm still considering all options as far as that goes, Mainly leaning towards a WeatherLink IP, but I still really like the idea of building an Intel NUC (mini desktop computer) to mange everything weather related and use the USB, Power consumption isn't a huge concern as I have solar and the NUC runs off a laptop transformer/adapter. But the data logger is actually is a harder choice for me to make than the station itself  ](*,)

Parke10

Good luck

Through my research I've seen that information stated and have come to see why its not a good mounting option, my only problem is I really don't see any other place to mount it with how my property is setup, I'm going to keep looking at it and considering all options but I'm not sure what I'll be able to do.

Good points.. Why I wouldn't be interested in any all-in-one weather station especially with a spoon tipping bucket mounted in high location, wind would play a major roll and the inability to properly level gauge along with the inherent lack of accuracy with the spoon tipping bucket.

This video from Dyacom talks about different rain gauges they tested and some of the issues. At 3:15 mark they talk about the spoon tipping bucket shortcomings. 

I'll give that video a watch, I feel like the VP2 will still be my best option for what I'm trying to do and the amount of land I have to work with, If I end up being stuck with mounting it higher I'll make sure to fab up some solid steel mount of some sort so that wind sway is little to no issue.

Tshattuck-

Here is a picture of what I have to work with, Property 1 is my house and 2 is my only other option being as its my rental house, even though the tenants are great people I don't think they'd appreciate a weather station in the middle of the backyard of a house they're renting   :lol:

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]