Author Topic: Successful repurpose of old WS-1001-WIFI display w/Ambient Weather WS-3000  (Read 278 times)

Offline K5GHS

• K5GHS's Website
So when my old station died (the sensor suite in particular), I had this laying around.  I thought about selling it on eBay, as I know some people still run this, but the prices were not that high (not shocking considering the age) so messing around a week or so ago I decided to turn it back on and see what it would do.  I quickly went in and disabled the WU upload and similar so all it would do is connect and fix the clock, and low and behold, all of the outside sensor stuff came right into it.  Put batteries back in the indoor sensor, calibrated the barometer, and it was working.

I did have to adjust two values in the settings.  Wind gain had to be adjusted to 0.50 (the newer sensor sends 2x the value than the old) and the rain gain to 0.85 to work with the new sensor.  After these two adjustments, it matches up with my WS-3000 display perfectly.

So now I have another display for essentially free!  Might have to look at eBay again and buy another in the future if I see a need for another display someday, though with the GW1000 app I've repurposed a tablet for the same purpose, and since I tend to upgrade tablets about every 2 years, that might be a good option as well, since they seem to keep on ticking.  I only recently finally had a Galaxy S2 Tablet I was using for my drone finally just suddenly not want to boot anymore.  It was 8 years old.

Its nice when they keep the same frequencies and protocols (almost) for things!
Joshua
K5GHS
http://www.k5ghs.radio

Collin County, TX  Grid: EM13qd  CWOP: AV590
Skywarn Repeaters:  147.180 Primary 146.740 Secondary
100% Emergency Powered Ham Radio Station (540AH Batteries/Solar Rechargeable)
Ambient Weather WS-2000
Ecowitt GW1000