Author Topic: Pro 2 ISS "Low battery warning" days after capacitor change experiences  (Read 325 times)

Offline StormCapture

Hi All,

I recelntly got sent a Pro 2 from a good mate of mine to change the Capacitor for him which finally failed after 15 years of service. A few days ago, I removed the old capacitor and seeing the + line completely rusted out and gave the area a good clean then replaced the old capacitor 2.7V 10f to a 2.5V 22f capacitor alongside a new 3V CR123A battery.

I am running it on a Vue console and did a full restart of console after the capacitor change to monitor its progress and it came up with "Low Battery Transmitter 6" as its on 6, 4 days later being tonight. I got my Multimeter and ran a few tests and here is what I got (note these tests were conducted 2 hours after sunset after a full day of sunshine)

CR123A Battery: 2.95V
Capacitor: 2.2V  (2.5V after several hours of charging in the sun, reading taken at 4PM)

So there is plenty of power available.

Could this just be due to the fact the board is taking its time to realise there is a new capacitor on it or due to the board being over 15 years old? I am going to ignore the fact it thinks the battery is "low" when I know power is there in both the capacitor and battery but will continue to monitor it.

I should also note it has two smaller capacitors on the board below the main battery under the cover , could these also trip the low battery warning if faulty? As I am wondering if these two are the sneaky ones behind the warning.

I am wondering if this has happened to anyone else?

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
How old is the Vue console firmware? If old, it might benefit from an update. But providing there's no overnight data loss then I wouldn't worry - it's slightly irritating but nothing more. Further info in the Vue section at:

https://www.manula.com/manuals/pws/davis-kb/1/en/topic/vp2-low-battery-warnings
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline StormCapture

The Vue is on the firmware Version 4.30 so is up to date, unless a new one was added.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
You might try some contact cleaner on the battery terminals. Here in the States, I have used CRC QD and DeOxit. I don't know what is available in Australia, but hopefully you can find an equivalent. Check for it being "plastic safe" though.

Non-conductive oxidation isn't necessarily visible. Even if the battery contacts look clean, the contact cleaner would be a good thing to try.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline StormCapture

My local electronic store sells that which is handy, so many good things in the U.S but not here in Aus.

I had a closer look and the battery terminal on the CR123 holder was not making a proper connection which would explain a lot of things. The battery itself had a very small gap so the smallest movements would move the battery off the positve terminal. Unfortunately the metal for the -ve side was shot and broke when the battery was removed so I solidered a 2x AA battery holder to the back of the board and have 2 batteries in and so far so good.