Author Topic: Rain discrepancy  (Read 3825 times)

Offline hswaters

• hswaters
Rain discrepancy
« on: July 16, 2011, 01:11:53 PM »
Well this is starting to look like my own personal forum, the boss and myself being the only ones to post here.  But to the comment.  It has at long last started to rain some in Houston.  A statement I never imagined myself making considering the past history of rain every time you turn around.  Anyway my Davis console is showing .12 inches of rain but cumulus is showing 0.00 inches for today.  Is it possible that I need the data logger to get accurate data?  I have the Sparkfun usb conversion cable instead of the data logger setup.

Offline hswaters

• hswaters
Re: Rain discrepancy
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 09:38:22 PM »
Well this is starting to look like my own personal forum, the boss and myself being the only ones to post here.  But to the comment.  It has at long last started to rain some in Houston.  A statement I never imagined myself making considering the past history of rain every time you turn around.  Anyway my Davis console is showing .12 inches of rain but cumulus is showing 0.00 inches for today.  Is it possible that I need the data logger to get accurate data?  I have the Sparkfun usb conversion cable instead of the data logger setup.

About the rain not being displayed on the cumulus program the problem was apparently caused by the Davis DLL not running from 20:00 until later the next day.   It seems like I had installed a different web cam at the time the DLL stopped.  I guess the install did it.  If I had restarted windows it would not have happened.  I installed a web cam that has a resolution of 800x600 pixels.  Quite an improvement over the old logitech ball cam I was using. 

Offline mmorris

• Forecaster
  • Hope your day is full of sunshine
    • Weather and Racin
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 07:10:17 AM »
Well you figured out one reason why it important to have a data logger. As some time you have to do thing to computer and stop weather programs and then there is the crash for no reason when your not home it fix it.
>>Miles<<  By from Portage Lakes, OH.
Been using VWS since 1996 Ver# 14.01P43
Wireless Vantage Pro2Plus Serial Data Logger, Anemo Tran Kit
Win XP, Firefox, WXSIM, Cumulus, NexStorm, Yawcam, VVP, BadBlue Web server, Quake Catcher Net
Follow me on twitter
Vietnam era Veteran USAF bb loader
Quadruple Bypass survivor

Offline hswaters

• hswaters
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 09:33:44 AM »
Well you figured out one reason why it important to have a data logger. As some time you have to do thing to computer and stop weather programs and then there is the crash for no reason when your not home it fix it.

My weather station is not mission critical.  I am just an old retired guy with a toy.  I am not running a business or doing scientific research.  A few holes in the history will not hurt.  Having said that I think I will run an extension cord from my UPS around the room to the pc running the weather software and webcam.  We do get a lot of 2 to 20 second power failures.

Offline mmorris

• Forecaster
    • Weather and Racin
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 02:28:55 PM »
OK I'm not a spring roaster either and try and not post thing that aren't important to me. I just figured since you posted about not having all the data that data was important to you or you were looking for a reason. As some people on the forum are anal about there data me when I first got started years ago I collected years of data then Ed changed the way the data base kept records making it imposable to read old records. Then there were hard drive crashes with backup that never seemed to be restore able.
Anyways you got it figured out.   :-|
Win XP, Firefox, WXSIM, Cumulus, NexStorm, Yawcam, VVP, BadBlue Web server, Quake Catcher Net
Follow me on twitter

Offline hswaters

• hswaters
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 02:51:15 PM »
OK I'm not a spring roaster either and try and not post thing that aren't important to me. I just figured since you posted about not having all the data that data was important to you or you were looking for a reason. As some people on the forum are anal about there data me when I first got started years ago I collected years of data then Ed changed the way the data base kept records making it imposable to read old records. Then there were hard drive crashes with backup that never seemed to be restore able.
Anyways you got it figured out.   :-|

Thanks for the reply.  I am liable to post just because something woke me from a nap.  I hope that is not too disturbing for anyone.  I was just wanting to know why things were not working correctly.  Not being familiar with any of the software I am now using I will no doubt make a lot of mistakes getting things to work as well as I can.  So far I have had very few days that something or the other has not gone wrong.  It is a darn good thing that I am not trying to run a nuclear reactor.   I went through three different web cam trials today and went back to yawcam.   At least I remembered to restart cumulus every time I installed and uninstalled the webcam software.

Offline mmorris

• Forecaster
    • Weather and Racin
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 03:03:46 PM »
That must be another tick that not having a data logger, I use yawcam running 4 cameras and cumulus and have never had to stop and start cumulus. Only time I have to stop Cumulus is when MS update and needs to restart windows XP.
Follow me on twitter

anything