Author Topic: Interesting TWC Tonight??  (Read 10901 times)

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
Interesting TWC Tonight??
« on: June 20, 2012, 02:00:44 PM »
I probably won't be able to see it, but I figured some people on here might, so I'll spread the word.

Quoted directly from Dr. Forbes:

We'll be airing a nice package this evening on The Weather Channel in the 7 and 10 PM EDT hours about Dr. Fujita's study of the 1957 Fargo ND tornado and the impact of that study on some of the weather terms we still use today. Has some original footage and some of his original drawings/movie content.
Joe Fitzwater
Chief Meteorologist for WVNS-TV 59 in Beckley, WV

Work Page on Facebook -> www.facebook.com/meteojoe
Work Page on Twitter -> https://twitter.com/meteojoe
Waterfalls -> www.wvfalls.com

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
    • Colorado Springs Weather
Re: Interesting TWC Tonight??
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 02:32:01 PM »
Dr Forbes is one of the best meterologist out there.

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 02:35:44 PM »
Yeah I like him and I also liked Steve Lyons, but I haven't seen him in a long time, and heard that he left. That was when TWC was good 8-)
Joe Fitzwater

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 02:54:59 PM »
Yeah I like him and I also liked Steve Lyons, but I haven't seen him in a long time, and heard that he left. That was when TWC was good 8-)

Agreed. NBC ruined TWC.

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 03:05:37 PM »
Agreed. NBC ruined TWC.

The only way to deal with that is to stop watching it and stop talking about it.  Let the ratings slide which will hurt revenue.

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 03:58:32 PM »
Agreed. NBC ruined TWC.

The only way to deal with that is to stop watching it and stop talking about it.  Let the ratings slide which will hurt revenue.

Good point, I wont open an unneccessary can of worms next time, thank you for saying that 8-)
Joe Fitzwater

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 04:08:25 PM »
Back in the early days TWC was about weather. Today it's about ratings. When ratings win out over content you have what TWC is today.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 04:24:28 PM »
Agreed. NBC ruined TWC.

Just saying. Geez.

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 11:15:27 PM »
I'm sure this thread will show up on their Social Media segment!  ROFL
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 12:13:00 AM »
 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Did anybody watch TWC during those times and see anything cool??
Joe Fitzwater

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 10:22:08 AM »
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Did anybody watch TWC during those times and see anything cool??

Ah.... I read the (mis)initial post yesterday and thought it was going to be an entire program. Last night at 6 PDT we watched Coast Guard Alaska, and then I held over to see the Fujita show. Apparently, the "package" was just one part of Weather Center or whatever came on at 7 PDT. We didn't stick around to watch for it.

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2012, 10:38:19 AM »
Oh well that's disappointing, I thought it was a show too, like maybe during the 2 hours of Weather Center, 30 minutes would be spent on what he was talking about. #-o Oh well, maybe someone will create another different weather channel one day for the junkies :-)
Joe Fitzwater

Offline neondesert

• Forecaster
    • http://www.neondesertweather.com
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2012, 02:53:30 PM »
Oh well, maybe someone will create another different weather channel one day for the junkies :-)

Don't hold your breath waiting for it, Joe.  :-#

I say: Bring back AM Weather!  :!: :!:

AM Weather Final Broadcast (Pt1)
AM Weather Final Broadcast (Pt2)

Finally, some vintage AM Weather from 1986 (last half of broadcast) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV64bBvWvX8&feature=related  8-)
Larry
"But it's a DRY Heat!"

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2012, 05:13:35 PM »
Y'know, I can kinda understand what happened when NBC bought TWC. They want ratings, consistent ratings. But pure TWC ratings probably track our weather sites' hits pretty closely. Bad weather = more viewers/more page loads. I see it all the time on SLOweather. Nice weather, lower page loads, rain, high wind or heat = lots more page loads. At least in my case I can count on the vast majority of my viewers being local. In TWC's case, they not only didn't know when the next big weather event woould happen, they didn't know where, either. At least not enough in advance to sell related ad space or up the prices.

We rarely watched TWC unless either there was HUGE weather event somewhere, like a hurricane, or really bad weather in our area. Now, as I alluded to above, we'll watch Coast Guard Alaska if there's nothing more compelling on.

(And, I'm still startled sometimes when a TWC promo or Local on the 8s comes on. CGL is a show that I think of as on Discovery or something, not TWC.)

Speaking of which... Anyone wanna rant about  Local on the 8s? :) I don't know why they call it local. The closest locations mentioned to us are usually 200 miles away. Maybe they should call it 200 Miles Away Or Less On The 8s.

Offline neondesert

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2012, 05:43:45 PM »
Speaking of which... Anyone wanna rant about  Local on the 8s? :) I don't know why they call it local. The closest locations mentioned to us are usually 200 miles away. Maybe they should call it 200 Miles Away Or Less On The 8s.

Interestingly, I've noticed times when they are showing "Iron Men", "Coast Guard Something or another" or " A Day in the Life of the Planet " :-) and they don't break in for local on the 8's.  Yet, during severe
weather outbreaks they interrupt coverage for the "locals" .   #-o
Larry
"But it's a DRY Heat!"

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2012, 07:15:26 AM »
Oh well, maybe someone will create another different weather channel one day for the junkies :-)

Don't hold your breath waiting for it, Joe.  :-#

I say: Bring back AM Weather!  :!: :!:

AM Weather Final Broadcast (Pt1)
AM Weather Final Broadcast (Pt2)

Finally, some vintage AM Weather from 1986 (last half of broadcast) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV64bBvWvX8&feature=related  8-)

WOW I remember watching AM Weather on PBS  8-)
Tony

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2012, 08:35:23 AM »
Ah.... I read the (mis)initial post yesterday and thought it was going to be an entire program. Last night at 6 PDT we watched Coast Guard Alaska, and then I held over to see the Fujita show. Apparently, the "package" was just one part of Weather Center or whatever came on at 7 PDT. We didn't stick around to watch for it.

So they used more air time for the promos for the segment than the actual segment?

Gee, now there's a surprise.

Offline neondesert

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2012, 03:08:31 PM »
WOW I remember watching AM Weather on PBS  8-)

Yup, at the time it was the broadcast source for complete national weather information.  ;)
Larry
"But it's a DRY Heat!"

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2012, 08:03:11 PM »

Interestingly, I've noticed times when they are showing "Iron Men", "Coast Guard Something or another" or " A Day in the Life of the Planet " :-) and they don't break in for local on the 8's.  Yet, during severe
weather outbreaks they interrupt coverage for the "locals" .   #-o

Let's see, TWC of the last few years: 5 minutes weather (It's 50 degrees in NYC right now!), 2 minutes for Locals (I'll agree with SLO because our locals spread out a 125 mile radius), then 3 minutes commercial...What a compelling channel #-o

I still watch TWC from time to time; during severe weather when Forbes is on there, they sometimes halt all the commericalism and Local on the 8's. But like what was said above, it irritates me when they don't show locals during the shows that I personally don't care about such as "Coast Guard Alaska". The only good shows I liked on there was "Tornado Road", which got cancelled, and "Storm Stories", which I haven't seen on there forever.

I guess it's just changing times. Like also said above, everything is ratings, and the more coverage of people (Talking about how it's sunny and 65F in New York City when there are supercells in the Plains), the more people will watch. I can even remember when I was a kid like 6 or 7, and the weather that was on wasn't about New York City, I saw some great structures of cells and got to see the heavyweight meteorologists of Forbes and Lyons on there a ton! Now everyone is wondering whether it's going to rain during the Redskins game or whether the baseball game will be get rained out. It's just the way things are and I don't see it changing.

Well you wanted a rant... ;)
Joe Fitzwater

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2012, 08:53:07 PM »

Maybe y'all would be happier if they brought back the 1980's local info, generated from a poorly-installed weather station at the cable company's office?  (WeatherStar I/II?)  Can't get more local than that! :lol:  My $0.02 is that TWC jumped the shark two decades ago, when they stopped date/time stamping their on-air maps so that you had no idea how old the info they were displaying really was.  At the risk of sounding old, I also remember when MTV used to play (gasp) music videos 24/7. :shock:

Seriously though, the only rant that I have about our local on the 8's is that they fill the screen with observations in our county from weather stations that I cannot identify or locate.  Other than the side effects of living in an area at the edge of three different NWS forecast office service areas and having a flood alert for a creek that's 100 miles away override a severe t-storm warning for my local town on occasion, they generally keep it local enough for me.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2012, 08:55:41 PM »
I agree. Last summer we had a tornado warning for Ellis county Kansas and a movie was playing and never once did they mention it. If its not about NYC or Atlanta it's not important.

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2012, 10:54:33 PM »
We have had similar circumstances here in WV. Another thing now that bothers me a little about TWC is that they go to a lot of news and stock reports, especially in the morning from Bloomberg.
Joe Fitzwater

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2012, 11:51:41 PM »
We have had similar circumstances here in WV. Another thing now that bothers me a little about TWC is that they go to a lot of news and stock reports, especially in the morning from Bloomberg.

Agreed.  That's what CNN is for

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2012, 08:02:27 AM »
TWC is still on here in my kitchen, but with the sound off and closed captioning on.  Usually when I glance up at it a commercial is airing, but if something's happening weather wise there's a 50:50 chance they'll report it in a timely fashion.  However, there's no rational excuse for polluting the airways with more sensationalistic drivel like the talking heads from CNN promulgate.  I'll admit I sometimes shout at the TV when TWC''s airing their non-weather 'news'.  When ratings rule, the lowest common denominator in the largest demographic area wins.  As we all know, the results are very dissatisfying.  What used to be 'Abrams and Bettes' has been transformed into a NYC lovefest/talkshow, WUWA.  TWC is moving farther and farther away from satisfying my 24/7 weather itch.  Thankfully the internet along with programs like GRLevel3, GREarth and The WeatherStudio enable us to see the bigger NOAA picture unfiltered by commercial interests.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

anything