Author Topic: WiFiLogger - Connect your Davis console directly to the Internet via WiFi  (Read 109828 times)

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
Where is the link for 2.13/14? I'm still on 2.09 and the one on the first page is an old version. Is it worth updating from 2.09?
Also, is there any way to make PWSWeather record rainfall in .2mm increments yet? WifiLogger does this, but once uploaded, PWS converts it back to .1mm increments which is extremely frustrating.

If you know your WiFiLogger IP in your network, please use http://YOUR_WFL_IP/update to make update, but better wait 2-3 days for next firmware update.

PWSWeather and rain. I have check that.
PWS and WU accept only rain in inch with 2 decimal. This mean 0.01, 0.02, 0.03, 0.04 etc.
When you have 0.2mm collector then you have:
0.2mm = 0.007874016 inch, but rounded to 0.01 inch, then when you set PWS site to show in metric units, then
0.01 inch will be calculated to 0,254 mm, and can be also rounded to 0,25mm
If PWS show you like this table below, then I can't make anything with it. PWS and WU don't accept rain like this: 0.007874016.
WeatherLink plug-in for WeatherUnderground  is also sending 0.01 inch istead of 0.2mm

mm                 inch         Round inch         inch->mm Round inch
0,2           0,007874016   0,01                      0,254   0,25
0,4           0,015748031   0,02                      0,508   0,51
0,6           0,023622047   0,02                      0,508   0,51
0,8           0,031496063   0,03                      0,762   0,76
1,0           0,039370079   0,04                      1,016   1,02
1,2           0,047244094   0,05                      1,27    1,27
1,4           0,055118110   0,06                      1,524   1,52
1,6           0,062992126   0,06                      1,524   1,52
1,8           0,070866142   0,07                      1,778   1,78
2,0           0,078740157   0,08                      2,032   2,03
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 10:17:14 AM by WiFiLogger »

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
Daylight saving comes from console. WiFiLogger is reading console settings on startup and when user will open SETUP|Weather Station Setup.
That why you had to reboot WFL to change time. I don't have repair for that. Simplest solution would be reading console settings at 4:00 every day.

Just as a side note, I'm running this on an Envoy and not a Console.  So I'm suspecting that has something to do with it.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
Just as a side note, I'm running this on an Envoy and not a Console.  So I'm suspecting that has something to do with it.

I have just made function (not tested). WiFiLogger will read console settings and check time every day 4:00am.
It will allow to synchronize time with console, and refresh console settings.

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
I would suggest using 3:00 am instead.  That way when we have our daylight savings time, it should switch right after.
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
I have made some modification, but nothing really important.

To make update you have to use
http://YOUR_WFL_IP/update
choose "Firmware update US", or "Firmware update EU" then click update
make this operation twice.

First time to make firmware update.
Second time to trigger system update which will download HTML files.
This is the last time when we speaking about HTMLs. HTML files now will be downloaded automatically before system update.

Trigger to make update is in new SYSTEM.html page.

What's in this update?
- New system to update logger (downloading HTMLs, trigger in system menu)
- WeatherLink activation button has been wipe out. Now trigger to activate new DID is when you click SAVE belongs to WeatherLink settings.
- time and settings will be read every day at  3.01am. This will help with daylight saving.
- I am prepering new JSON file lastlog.json, this is newest logger record. It will be exportet via MQTT and HTTP. http://YOUR_WFL_IP/lastlog.json. Work in progress.

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
I'm up to 2.15.  Thanks!

Offline ANPweather

• Contributor
    • Anthem North Parkside, AZ
I have made some modification, but nothing really important.

To make update you have to use
http://YOUR_WFL_IP/update
choose "Firmware update US", or "Firmware update EU" then click update
make this operation twice.

First time to make firmware update.
Second time to trigger system update which will download HTML files.
This is the last time when we speaking about HTMLs. HTML files now will be downloaded automatically before system update.

Trigger to make update is in new SYSTEM.html page.

What's in this update?
- New system to update logger (downloading HTMLs, trigger in system menu)
- WeatherLink activation button has been wipe out. Now trigger to activate new DID is when you click SAVE belongs to WeatherLink settings.
- time and settings will be read every day at  3.01am. This will help with daylight saving.
- I am prepering new JSON file lastlog.json, this is newest logger record. It will be exportet via MQTT and HTTP. http://YOUR_WFL_IP/lastlog.json. Work in progress.

I'm a bit confused. The first post in the thread still points to update_200. I think I used this to get to my current 2.08 version. How do I get to 2.15? Using the above procedure (running address/update twice)? And then just using the system->update from then on?

Davis Vantage Vue, Davis Pro 2 Console with Wifi Logger
Weather Display software
WU: KAZNEWRI17
PWS: ANTHEMNP
CWOP: EW7526

Offline gtstricky

• Kennett Weather

I'm a bit confused. The first post in the thread still points to update_200. I think I used this to get to my current 2.08 version. How do I get to 2.15? Using the above procedure (running address/update twice)? And then just using the system->update from then on?

Yes. That should do the trick. Anyone with version 1.? Has to download the 2.0 from the website and manually update first. But after 2.0 just go to your iPaddress/update twice. After 2.15 there is an update button on the system page directly.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster

My WiFiLogger has IP address in my network 192.168.2.203, you have to know yours WFL address.
then when I type in web browser http://192.168.2.203/update
It will show me:
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

You have to make this procedure twice. Once for firmware update, second for HTML download.
After this operation, all firmware update will be through SYSTEM page.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

I do know that is complicated, that why I have changed that. After version 2.15 update will be much easier.

Version 2.00 will automatically download version 2.15, but this is for users with old version 1.xx.

Offline pfletch101

• Forecaster
    • Personal Website
Do you recommend that users keep their firmware up to date (routinely checking and updating to the new current version at reasonable intervals), or should one only update if the new version fixes a bug that one has encountered and/or supplies a new feature that one wants/needs?
Vantage Pro 2+ connected to Raspberry Pi running weewx by means of Meteo-Pi - data incorporated in domestic energy production (PV) and use monitoring system.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Do you recommend that users keep their firmware up to date (routinely checking and updating to the new current version at reasonable intervals), or should one only update if the new version fixes a bug that one has encountered and/or supplies a new feature that one wants/needs?

The way I handle upgrades for any device firmware/software is that I try not to be an early adopter of new updates. Unless I know upgrading will provide a much needed security fix, bug fix, or feature upgrade. Usually when a version has been around for a while it is well seasoned and most probably doesn't contain bugs. That is a good time to upgrade. The trouble is a lot of devices do not indicate a date or release notes log of updates. It can then become more troublesome to then have to look to the community to ask how new a certain firmware is and user experience.

The manufacture of most devices is going to want a good amount of users to upgrade as soon as possible. This way more people are testing the new update and they can issue a follow-up fix if an unforeseen issue comes about. Really large companies (Microsoft, Google for example) employ a staggered roll-out where few get the updates at first and they monitor, then a bit more, and then more and so on till everyone has the update.  This way they can halt the roll-out if an unforeseen issue comes about. They also have user opt-in for beta versions which helps development.

Some people employ the if it isn't broken don't fix it. But then they are either missing out on critical security fixes and bug fixes that they may not be aware of, or they are missing out on new features by not staying up to date. They may not care about the new features, but you can then certainly say they are not gaining the full potential of their investment. But some people are happier and complacent to not worry and just use basic functionalities. Their indifference could affect them and they won't even know it. For example a device could be chatty on the network and affect other network devices, had they maintained things their troubles often would be less. When I service a system or network I try and put in as many updates as I can that make sense after researching and reading the release notes. Often many gremlins go away with routine updates and other maintenance.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 11:01:37 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline pfletch101

• Forecaster
    • Personal Website

The way I handle upgrades for any device firmware/software is that I try not to be an early adopter of new updates. Unless I know upgrading will provide a much needed security fix, bug fix, or feature upgrade. Usually when a version has been around for a while it is well seasoned and most probably doesn't contain bugs. That is a good time to upgrade. The trouble is a lot of devices do not indicate a date or release notes log of updates. It can then become more troublesome to then have to look to the community to ask how new a certain firmware is and user experience.

Your general approach is similar to mine, but WifiLogger is still at a somewhat earlier stage of development than most hardware and/or software I have on or associated with my computer systems. I was really looking for the developer's view.
Vantage Pro 2+ connected to Raspberry Pi running weewx by means of Meteo-Pi - data incorporated in domestic energy production (PV) and use monitoring system.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster

It's 100% up to you. If you are happy with this firmware which you have, that is very ok and you don't need to make any update.
Problem is when you will have any problem, then I have archive of old versions, but I am working on current, so it is better for me when you have problem to solve, then you should have current version of firmware. Maybe your problems were already solved?

I have red that for good testing it is needed 12 people for 3 months :). Well that is a true, first version on WFL firmware on market had many problems, even if it was tested before.
I am testing new functions before firmware release, but I am testing it for a few hours. This mean I almost don't test it.
I have founded that users would like to have new features faster than 3 months (testing).
So we will continue this path like it is now.

Offline R_o_B

• WxElement panel
Wojciech, I have encountered some problems when downloading and installing firmware update 2.15.

I used to be able to get to the main page of the WiFiLogger by using the local address (ie: http://localIPaddress/index.html) but now (after the up firmware update), when I type that address I get the following message: "FileNotFound".

Using the SPIFFS editor link (ie: http://localIPaddress/edit.html), clicking on the 'index.html' file option (on the left option menu) produces a blank screen (nothing, no code is displayed). Clicking on the other options (on the left option menu), other than for the files 'config.json' and 'stationconfig.json' for which I cannot view the contents, I can view the code for all the other files (ie: 'arch.html', 'edit.html', 'export.html', 'ftpexport.html', 'info.html', 'setup.html', 'system.html', 'wifi.html' and 'style.css') ... but no code (nothing) when I select the 'index.html' file.

Fortunately, Iafter many tries, I have found out that if I type the IP address (without the 'index.html' file name)(ie: 'https://localIPaddress/'), I can access the WiFiLogger, but then, I cannot modify the 'index.html' file for my needs.

It appears that something somewhere has gotten corrupted. I tried updating the firmware again using both the US and EU servers but that did not solve the problem of the missing or invisible 'index.html' file.

What can I do to solve my problem?

How about providing firmware update 2.15 in a ZIP file (ie: 'WFL_Update_215US.zip' or 'WFL_Update_215.zip') on the WiFiLogger Support web page!

Indeed, in order to circumvent possible file corruption during the download and updating of the firmware, may I ask, please, that any new firmware update (the '.bin', the '.css' and all the '.html' files) be archived (into a .ZIP file) and placed on the WiFiLogger Support web page - this way, every time there is a new frimware update, I could go to that support page, download the ZIP update and install it locally without risking any file corruption.
R_o_B
---
eMail: weather@herray.net

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
Wojciech, I have encountered some problems when downloading and installing firmware update 2.15.

Index.html is blocked. I will repair that ASAP.
JSON files are blocked because there are your passwords and it would be very easy to extract them.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster

Please just make update once more. I have repair index.html problem. Because it wasn't big deal I have chabge verison number it is still 2.15

Offline R_o_B

• WxElement panel
Wojciech, thank you for the prompt reply and solution to the 'little' problem.

Still, could you please make all the firmware update files (as ZIP files) available on the WiFiLogger Support web page - as I wrote previously, had the firmware update 1.25 ZIP file been available on the WiFiLogger Support web page, I would have downloaded the ZIP file and I would have found out by looking (editing) the HTML files that one of them was either locked or blocked.
R_o_B
---

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
Wojciech, thank you for the prompt reply and solution to the 'little' problem.

Still, could you please make all the firmware update files (as ZIP files) available on the WiFiLogger Support web page - as I wrote previously, had the firmware update 1.25 ZIP file been available on the WiFiLogger Support web page, I would have downloaded the ZIP file and I would have found out by looking (editing) the HTML files that one of them was either locked or blocked.

I can't release firmware above 2.00, because that would brick WiFiLoggers with version 1.xx. All versions 1.xx has to go through 2.00.

But there is no problem to give you download link to newest/current HTMLs.
https://wifilogger.net/firmware/html/html.zip

Index.html was blocked in firmware.
files "/", "/index.html" and "arch.html" have special functions and are separated from protection option.
In system page you can find "SETUP ACCESS" form. You can protect settings of your WiFiLogger by adding user and password.
It is needed when you would like to allow internet users log to your WiFiLogger. Some users are using port forwarding.
So when you have published WiFiLogger in the Internet, then you should protect setup, but first page Real Time Data should be avaible.
JSON config files are blocked all the time, only version 1.24S allow to read them.

So I have made little mistake in this mechanism, but now it's working.

Offline R_o_B

• WxElement panel
Wojciech, the loading of the 'index.html' file is 'odd' and it takes too much time for that file to load, compare to previous loading times.

What I mean by 'odd' is that when the 'index.html' file is loading (using the link 'http://loggerIPaddress/index.html' and after clearing the browser's cache file), all possible and hidden options of the 'index.html' file are temporarily and for a short time displayed on the browser's screen and then the data from the WiFiLogger is eventually added to the 'index.html' file and the hidden options finally disappear - I told you (wrote) it is/was an 'odd' operation.

As for the length of time for the loading - even on my fast computer, I can count to 'one thousand and two' before all the data is finally displayed on the screen - the loading of the data was way faster before I encountered the 'little' problem.
R_o_B
---

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
Wojciech, the loading of the 'index.html' file is 'odd' and it takes too much time for that file to load, compare to previous loading times.

What I mean by 'odd' is that when the 'index.html' file is loading (using the link 'http://loggerIPaddress/index.html' and after clearing the browser's cache file), all possible and hidden options of the 'index.html' file are temporarily and for a short time displayed on the browser's screen and then the data from the WiFiLogger is eventually added to the 'index.html' file and the hidden options finally disappear - I told you (wrote) it is/was an 'odd' operation.

As for the length of time for the loading - even on my fast computer, I can count to 'one thousand and two' before all the data is finally displayed on the screen - the loading of the data was way faster before I encountered the 'little' problem.

https://wifilogger.net/firmware/html/html.zip
Please download once more this ZIP file and find index.html.gz

Please upload this GZ file without extracting, just use EDIT to upload this
you should have two files on the list
index.html
index.html.gz
When you have compressed GZ file, then WiFiLogger will serve it, not index.html, after that your browser should decompress it.
Try if it was what you  are looking for.

Offline R_o_B

• WxElement panel
Wojciech, I uploaded (installed) both the 'index.html' and the 'index.html.gz' files and still have the 'odd' quick display without CSS style of all the parameters/options contained in the 'index.html' file before the 'style.css' CSS style sheet is loaded and the data from the console is added to (incorporated into) the 'index.html' file.

Although the size of the 'index.html.gz' file is smaller than the size of the 'index.html' file, there is no difference in the 'odd' display.

I would love to provide you with a screenshot of the 'odd' display but it does not stay long enough on the screen to be capture by my screenshot software.

I really cannot remember having that 'odd' display with the previous versions (ie: 2.14 and earlier).

Note: I have tried loading the WiFiLogger 'Real Time Data' page in two other browsers (ie: latest versions of Opera and Google Chrome) and get the same quick display screen without CSS style of all the parameters/options contained in the 'index.html' file before finally getting the proper display of the WiFiLogger 'Real Time Data' page (my main browser is Mozilla Firefox).

Note 2: It appears as if the 'style.css' CSS file is not loading fast/quick enough and allows for the prompt display of the page before the style has been applied to the page.
R_o_B
---

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
I know what you are talking about.
First is loading index.html page, after it is loaded, then it is sending beackground message to ask for weather data.
So before weather data comes it looks like this: https://wifilogger.net/firmware/html/
Then after console reading and data transfered to your web browser it starts to look normal.
It was like this from the beginning. I don't know why you didn't noticed it.
This time when you are looking for odd page it is time when console is asked for weather data.
I could make it blank for this 1 sec. but delay will stay.

Offline R_o_B

• WxElement panel
That is exactly what I am seeing...

I really really do not remember seeing that 'odd' display before.  :oops:

I guess my old age must be affecting the way I see things and the way I remember seeing things...  :roll:

Sorry to put you through all that trouble... :???:

Thank you for the assistance.  ;)
R_o_B
---

Offline pfletch101

• Forecaster
    • Personal Website

I guess my old age must be affecting the way I see things and the way I remember seeing things...  :roll:

The psychology of vision is very complicated! There are many reasons why you might only now be noticing this (aside from old age  :-)). If this sort of thing happens fast enough as a page loads, you don't notice it, so it is conceivable that a recent 'upgrade' to your browser or a change in another resident program has slowed it down just enough so that you do. It is, however, certainly true that once you have seen the 'glitch' once, for whatever reason, it becomes much more visible thereafter, because you are now looking for it. I have a very fast system and had not noticed the behavior you described. Now I look for it, though, it is fairly obvious, though certainly not a problem.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster

Discussion like this is needed.
- GZ file is loading much faster, so I will make index.html.gz for all WiFiLoggers.
- This odd page looks not fully professional, so I will make it blank until weather data come.

Because of you WFL will be faster and better looking :)

anything