Author Topic: Stuck reed switch - New anemometer ($113) vs. station refurb ($230)  (Read 568 times)

Offline SpartanWX

• Senior Contributor
The anny on my 12 year or so old VP2 w/24 hr FARS has a stuck reed switch (closed per console diagnostics).  I last had it refurbished in 2011 when the supercap failed ($112).  I've since replaced the FARS motor myself, as well as the solar panel for the ISS and upgraded the temp/humidity sensor as well.

I presume they would give me a new anemometer with a refurb ($230) but I can order one for $113 shipped.  I personally think just replacing the anemometer at this point is the best course of action.  I had considered rebuilding it... but at probably around $30 for new bearings and a reed switch, I figured it was time to upgrade to the newest model.

What would you all do?  Is there anything you think I am overlooking?  Thoughts?

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
Re: Stuck reed switch - New anemometer ($113) vs. station refurb ($230)
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 02:04:03 PM »
Some people opt for a different vendor's product...but, one that's "plug-in" compatible with VP2 ISS.
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline SpartanWX

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 02:16:11 PM »
Some people opt for a different vendor's product...but, one that's "plug-in" compatible with VP2 ISS.

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 02:49:12 PM »
I'm guessing the other one is referring to the RM Young units and an adapter.  Too expensive or my tastes.

I have a VP2 I bought in 2008.  The ISS is still humming along just fine.  But I noticed a lot of noise in my anemometer this winter.  I opted for the replacement route.  The new one has a different design of the plastics to help fit icing.  Plus no more reed switch.  I think it's a HAL effect sensor, but I could be wrong.  I think it has upgraded bearings instead of bushings.

I kept my old anemometer on the shelf as it does work.  Just shows the speed at about half because the bushings are shot.  I took it off the shelf to test another project.  What surprised me is now the direction part is hard to move.  Wear and tear have taken its toll on it.  Which is why I would recommend replace, not repair.  I do live out on the prairie with a lot of wind.  So I probably have more wear and tear than most.  I did the math of my wind run.  I think I had about a million miles on it.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 02:51:15 PM »
OK, I was off a little.  I only had 744,000 miles on it.  Not a million.  :-)

https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=33982.msg345344#msg345344
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI