Author Topic: Any recommendations on a station that will support approx 250 feet to sensor  (Read 455 times)

Offline bheld

I currently have an acurite 01512 that I struggle with.   It will stay connected for months, and then require me to climb to my shed roof and reset everything daily for weeks on end.  I can't figure it out.  It's not a battery issue, but a connection issue.

Any alternatives that are more reliable at this distance? 

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Always tricky to answer these question without more background detail. A Davis Vue or VP2 will get to 1000 feet and potentially more. But that's with a clear line of sight and transmitter and receiver not too close to the ground (higher the better but 4-6 feet for both will probably get 700-800 feet).

But then the console/receiver is presumably inside a house or other building. Ordinary window glass is usually pretty transparent to the signal so if the console/receiver can 'see' the transmitter through the window then that's good. But if eg there's a brick wall in the straight-line signal path then that will cut the range down to say 40-50% of the open air range.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Some resourceful DIY'ers have successfully used an antenna such as this to increase the performance of their range.

Yagi antenna 915 MHz
https://www.amazon.com/Phonetone-Outdoor-Directional-1710-2700Mhz-Connector/dp/B00EC804SO/

You can't just plug this in. You have to be willing to open your station and dust off your trusty soldering iron and add an SMA connector.

FYI - A yagi antenna is a specially designed antenna that is directional. A yagi antenna can be used to aim and focus and increase signal to a particular single destination.

EDIT: I've just looked up your station specs and it transmits on 433 MHz. You can't use the above model. The 915 MHz solution I linked is a perfect for US Fine Offset clones (Ambient/Ecowitt) Maybe someone can recommend a decent 433 MHz model. I've looked just briefly and I'm looking for a reasonably priced solution but haven't found one yet.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 11:39:22 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Okay here are my best recommendations for a 433 MHz Yagi antenna that I've found:

7 dBi option:
https://www.amazon.com/HYS-Antenna-400-470Mhz-Outdoor-Two-Way/dp/B0829SS82P/

9 dBi option:
https://www.amazon.com/HYS-Antenna-Elements-Motorola-Repeater/dp/B083GG3ZQ6/
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 11:57:32 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole