Author Topic: New system advice  (Read 792 times)

Offline g8rmark

New system advice
« on: June 08, 2020, 10:08:47 AM »
Looks like my Acurite 5-1 bit the dust. But before I purchase a new system for my home I have an installation question that I'm not sure can be 100% resolved. Most systems recommend that you mount the system in the shade to avoid direct sunlight temp reading issues. But also to mount it high enough to avoid wind obstructions. So unless someone makes a system with a separate Bluetooth/wireless connection between the anemometer and the main station how do you resolve this issue?? Or do you just pick which issue to minimize. A gable satellite dish mount would clear the roof for wind but would be in direct sun plus be subject to roof radiant heating. Given all this I'm open for suggestions for my new/replacement system. BTW - I live in Melbourne, Florida.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 10:44:51 AM by g8rmark »

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
Re: New system advice
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2020, 10:31:37 AM »
Urban siting is always an issue. For most of us the temp sensor can be put in direct sunlight  because the unit comes with a radiation shield blocking the sunlight. The real issue is wind. If it's not tree's or buildings then something else is blocking it. I have mine at 30 ft but it's still blocked by tree's. You have to go with the best situation you can and live with it. Just the way it is.
Yes there are wireless stations with wireless anemometers. Several of them in fact. You just have to do some research.
Attached photo is my wireless anny blocked to the east and west.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2020, 11:07:53 AM »
Your sun radiation concern can 100% be resolved by separate components and a good radiation shield so that you can put the sensor in direct sun which is the optimum place to put a temperature sensor.

The only reason you may hear recommendations to put the temperature sensor in the shade is because they are either uninformed or they are speaking from personal experience of dealing with poor temperature sensors with inadequate radiation shields. Not all radiation shields are created equal. You get what you pay for.

An often overlooked solution is to use a radiation shield from a different company than the one that made your weather station. For example I recommend Ecowitt / Fine Offset owners not use the RS-00001 and instead use the Davis 7714 radiation shield which is pretty good. But even that isn't the best solution. The Barani Meteoshield Pro has even more impressive results.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 11:15:03 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline funsutton

• Contributor
    • Weather Underground
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2020, 11:50:11 AM »
Take it from someone who is in the process of moving from an all-together system to a modular system only a month after I bought it.

If you have constraints like most of us do (trees, tall houses, etc), it gives you the best option to put the anemometer high and a temperature sensor lower to the ground, in the sun (with radiation shield).

You can also keep your rain collector low too, which is good because you will have to keep it clean from debris every so often. It's also easier to level your rain collector when its lower to the ground than when it's up an 18 foot pole that has an ever so slight bend in it.

You just have a lot more options with a modular system. It may be a little more expensive than the all-in-one systems, but I think it's worth it in the long run.

Regarding radiation shields, this is a good explanation from galfert on why they are necessary: https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=39631.msg407307#msg407307

Offline VaJim

• Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
  • Forecaster
    • Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2020, 01:59:32 PM »
IMHO...the issue of the station temperature for the most part can be resolved by investing in a quality station, i.e. Davis, Rainwise.  They have dealt with the temperature variation and solar shields for years.  When reading a station specs and it talks about placing the temp/RH sensor in shade, more than likely you're dealing with a lower quality station.  On the other hand, if you find a spot in the shade that works for you, then you're happy.  I believe you'll also find that no 2 stations side by side will record the same exact readings.

As far as the wind, I tend to go lower.  All of my stations are ground level, tripod or fence mast mount, away from obvious obstructions.  In my personal case, that's why I call it 'Backyard Weather, for the sensors are in the backyard, not rooftop.  Most of the folks that I have read of placing a station on top of the roof or some high point, regret it later when it needs maintenance.  Good luck!

Offline wd68

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2020, 12:51:04 PM »
This very issue was why i wanted to get the ws 5000 from Ambient. It can read from remote temp sensors. The wind can read from that sensor and rain from another while still giving me readings for Lighting and 2.5 air quality meter too. I have places where i can put all of these in different places around the house. But am not sure if i have to connect to the router wirelessly or if i can connect to Cell tower for my readings to be sent to Cwop and the like. If i can get the setup to connect and stay connected. Send good info and accurate readings, i am all for it. I don't mind paying more for a good system but one thing i do need is a reliable station connection with internet, otherwise it don't really mean beans.