Author Topic: New Stuff - Ecowitt Has the Newest Fine Offset Hardware  (Read 58854 times)

Offline mauro63

• Forecaster
Re: New Stuff - Ecowitt Has the Newest Fine Offset Hardware
« Reply #300 on: August 19, 2019, 03:55:59 AM »
Mauro,
Very well then. I'm honored.

Yes please keep up to date on the WS80.

Ok, I will do, I will install the ws80 in this field

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

I will remove the meteohelix pro, turn the meteoshield pro of 180°, the ws80 on the same position of meteoshield pro, identical height of vp2 and identical exposition

Sorry for my poor english ;(

Mauro

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #301 on: August 19, 2019, 05:19:19 AM »
I have a WS-80 and a newly updated version of GW-1000 inbound to test.
I shall share photo's and so on as I get it.
ETA for the end of the week at the moment.

For those interested, here is a pre-production version of the ws-80 under test in HK
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 06:46:18 AM by Mandrake »
G1ZFO

Ecowitt HP2551A + WH65 Tri-Wing (Wunderground: IGUILDFO67)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Wunderground: IGUILDFO68)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Mk2) test environment driving CumulusMX on a RPi 3b
Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)
Ecowitt WS90 Wittboy - Test
Ecowitt WH51 (x6) Soil Moisture Sensor
Ecowitt WH41 PM2.5 AQM Sensor
Ecowitt WH31 (x8) Thermo/Hygro Sensor
Ecowitt WS80 Ultrasonic Anemometer (pre-prod test)
Ecowitt WH57 Lightning Sensor -test
Ecowitt WH32-EP (SHT35) + Davis 7714 Screen
Ecowitt WH45 CO2/PM2.5/PM10 -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Soil Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Water Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN35 Leaf Moisture

Offline Mapantz

• Forecaster
    • Wareham Weather
« Reply #302 on: August 19, 2019, 06:46:25 AM »
What does the new GW-1000 entail? It's hard to see what could be added as the current one is pretty much flawless for me now.

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #303 on: August 19, 2019, 07:07:15 AM »
The only information I have at the moment is that it has improved RF performance.
As you say so far my existing one has been bullet proof apart from some initial teething issues staying connected to my Asus primary router solved with a different AP.
Once I have it I will share any obvious differences.
G1ZFO

Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)

Offline mauro63

• Forecaster
« Reply #304 on: August 19, 2019, 08:37:45 AM »
Yes, I can confirm,
the only upgrade about new version of gw1000 is an improved performances about rf and an improvement of coverage, now about 200 mt

in attachment some technical images

Mauro

Offline Mapantz

• Forecaster
    • Wareham Weather
« Reply #305 on: August 19, 2019, 08:52:51 AM »
What's the radiation shield on there for?

Surely there's not a temp gauge in it?

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #306 on: August 19, 2019, 08:57:50 AM »
Sorry should have been more forthcoming....its a complete set of instruments barring the rain gauge.
So in short it contains a UV sensor, Temperature and Humidity as well as the Ultra-sonic sensors to measure wind speed and direction.
I expect most folks would pair this with the independent rain gauge to get the full basic set together with a console.
I have been sworn to secrecy on this so long I have almost forgotten what I know about it!

some extra data from the specs..
Features:
1.Measures wind speed/direction, temp/humiidty, solar radiation/uv
2.Supports updating firmware with USB cable.

Specifications
1. Wind speed: Range: 0~40m/s; Starting wind speed: 0.5m/s; Accuracy(pending).
2. Wind direction: Range: 0~359 degrees; Accuracy: ¡À10 degrees.
3. Temperature: Range: -40~60¡ãC; Accuracy: ¡À1¡ãC.
4. Humidity: Range: 1~99%; Accuracy: ¡À5%.
5. Light intensity: Range: 0~300Klux; Accuracy: ¡À15%.
6. Ultraviolet: Measurement level 1~15; Accuracy: ¡À2.
7. Battery voltage measurement: Range: 0~3.3V; Accuracy: ¡À0.1V.
8. Static current: 30~50uA.

When the maximum wind speed of the last 4s is >=5m/s, the wind speed is detected by 1s; when the maximum wind speed of the last 4s is >=3m/s and less than 5m/s, the wind speed is detected by 2s; when the maximum wind speed of the last 4s is <3m/ s, the wind speed is detected by 4s.

Please note the wh80 sensor can have a heater under the sonic reflecting surface and this can be used to melt the snow builds up during wind season and make the item still functional.  Among the sample we sent, we didn't have the power cable installed for heater use.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 09:01:11 AM by Mandrake »
G1ZFO

Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)

Offline mauro63

• Forecaster
« Reply #307 on: August 19, 2019, 08:59:07 AM »
What's the radiation shield on there for?

Surely there's not a temp gauge in it?

Yes, of course ;)
ws80 measures temperature, humidity, solar radiation, UV, wind speed and direction

Mauro

Offline Mapantz

• Forecaster
    • Wareham Weather
« Reply #308 on: August 19, 2019, 09:00:37 AM »
Oh dear, that's a big disappointment. Never a good idea to pair temp/humidity with a wind sensor. Unless you live in a flat area  with no obstructions for miles around, you're going to get bad readings on at least one sensor. I ditched my Vantage Vue because of issues.

If you want good temp/humidity readings, you'll get crap wind data. If you want good wind data, you'll sacrifice accurate temp/humidity readings.

Offline mauro63

• Forecaster
« Reply #309 on: August 19, 2019, 09:01:27 AM »
Sorry should have been more forthcoming....its a complete set of instruments barring the rain gauge.
So in short it contains a UV sensor, Temperature and Humidity as well as the Ultra-sonic sensors to measure wind speed and direction.
I expect most folks would pair this with the independent rain gauge to get the full basic set together with a console.
I have been sworn to secrecy on this so long I have almost forgotten what I know about it!

the same for me  :grin:

Mauro

Offline mauro63

• Forecaster
« Reply #310 on: August 19, 2019, 09:04:33 AM »
Oh dear, that's a big disappointment. Never a good idea to pair temp/humidity with a wind sensor. Unless you live in a flat area  with no obstructions for miles around, you're going to get bad readings on at least one sensor. I ditched my Vantage Vue because of issues.

If you want good temp/humidity readings, you'll get crap wind data. If you want good wind data, you'll sacrifice accurate temp/humidity readings.

this depends on your expectations, and is a common problem at all AIO stations
personally, I need wind data to study their impact on the correct precipitation measurement, so I need the wind data at rain gauge height
I also use these data to study the effects on the solar radiation shields, nothing to do with meteorology, but with metrology

Mauro

Offline Mapantz

• Forecaster
    • Wareham Weather
« Reply #311 on: August 19, 2019, 09:10:01 AM »

Mauro

A common problem that could have easily been avoided. The logical thing would have been to not have the temp sensor on it, and provide a radiation shield/temp gauge as a separate item so that the user could position it at the correct height.

I'm not a fan of ultrasonic anemometers anyway - they're troublesome. I guarantee that there will be a lot of complaints.

Offline mauro63

• Forecaster
« Reply #312 on: August 19, 2019, 09:20:58 AM »

Mauro

A common problem that could have easily been avoided. The logical thing would have been to not have the temp sensor on it, and provide a radiation shield/temp gauge as a separate item so that the user could position it at the correct height.

I'm not a fan of ultrasonic anemometers anyway - they're troublesome. I guarantee that there will be a lot of complaints.

most likely you are right, I hope it is not so, I will post the results of the comparison tests and any problems

Mauro

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #313 on: August 19, 2019, 09:25:19 AM »
Agreed, Mapantz!
I have no plans to replace my existing sensors and will run this one alongside to compare the data and share with Ecowitt and the community!
G1ZFO

Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)

Offline mauro63

• Forecaster
« Reply #314 on: August 19, 2019, 09:29:33 AM »
Agreed, Mapantz!
I have no plans to replace my existing sensors and will run this one alongside to compare the data and share with Ecowitt and the community!

Agreed, the same for me  ;)
my vp2, my Barani radiation shields, my four wire pt100 system will remain my reference setup

Mauro

Offline Vette-kid

« Reply #315 on: August 19, 2019, 10:17:53 AM »
What would the advantage of this over the ws68 be?  I currently have their full suite (2551) out in the yard, but looking to add wind and solar to go on the roof top to compare readings.

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #316 on: August 19, 2019, 12:04:46 PM »
Not a lot I should think!
Its just a different way of measuring wind. I don't know if anyone has ever done a comparison in terms of performance.

The rest of the sensors, ie UV and Thermo/Hygro are likely to be the same sensors.
I shall be curious to see what difference the array records versus my existing all in one.

The tech spec does mention the capability to heat the sonic sensor to avoid snow fouling, so that could be advantage for locales with heavy winters over the normal array.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 12:08:58 PM by Mandrake »
G1ZFO

Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #317 on: August 19, 2019, 03:40:53 PM »

I need wind data to study their impact on the correct precipitation measurement, so I need the wind data at rain gauge height
Just because you have your anemometer at rain gauge height, how does that tell you what kind of error you're possibly getting? What do you compare to?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 04:12:32 PM by CW2274 »

Offline mauro63

• Forecaster
« Reply #318 on: August 19, 2019, 04:27:26 PM »

I need wind data to study their impact on the correct precipitation measurement, so I need the wind data at rain gauge height
Just because you have your anemometer at rain gauge height, how does that tell you what kind of error you're possibly getting? What do you compare to?

at the moment my pluviometric comparisons are made with a 400cm square manual rain gauge at ground level and a professional delta-ohm, which has undergone individual calibration and has a software correction to simulate a ground installation
I believe it is sufficient to assess the impact of the wind and the turbulence it generates

Mauro

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #319 on: August 19, 2019, 04:48:29 PM »

at the moment my pluviometric comparisons are made with a 400cm square manual rain gauge at ground level and a professional delta-ohm, which has undergone individual calibration and has a software correction to simulate a ground installation
I believe it is sufficient to assess the impact of the wind and the turbulence it generates

Mauro
I don't see it, but that's me. I was looking more along the lines of comparing to something like this.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRTmcrHxHPjOloYyg15iDnnPYN6dKlZgtUgjTzzSkoUeDD1ar6E

Offline Vette-kid

« Reply #320 on: August 19, 2019, 04:55:41 PM »
Not a lot I should think!
Its just a different way of measuring wind. I don't know if anyone has ever done a comparison in terms of performance.

The rest of the sensors, ie UV and Thermo/Hygro are likely to be the same sensors.
I shall be curious to see what difference the array records versus my existing all in one.

The tech spec does mention the capability to heat the sonic sensor to avoid snow fouling, so that could be advantage for locales with heavy winters over the normal array.

If we have snow or ice enough that I'm concerned about my weather station, I probably have other things to be concerned with as it's obviously the beginning of the Apocalypse!

Guess I'll stick with the 68 unless anyone shows evidence that the 80 is significantly better somehow.  Probably also going to place a separate rain guage up there

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #321 on: August 19, 2019, 06:34:48 PM »
One thing that concerns me is max wind speed measuring capability is 40 meters per second which is slightly less than 90 Mph. The WS68 and WH65 can measure 100 Mph....which is still not great.... So why would I want even less?
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline 49studebaker

« Reply #322 on: August 20, 2019, 06:47:38 AM »
I thought the max wind speed would be higher. Acurite Atlas has a 150mph max wind speed. The Acurite Atlas Elite is supposed to have a 200mph max wind speed.

Maybe the temp/humidity sensors should have been mounted below the rain gauge. The wind sensor could be mounted at a high height and the rain/temp/humidity sensor could be mounted at a low height.

Offline Jakon

« Reply #323 on: August 22, 2019, 03:54:46 AM »
WS80 temperature is used to compensate for wind speed calculation.If you are concerned that his temperature is not accurate, you can purchase a separate hygrometer WH32 to replace the temperature and humidity of WS80.

Offline Vette-kid

« Reply #324 on: August 22, 2019, 12:24:19 PM »
WS80 temperature is used to compensate for wind speed calculation.If you are concerned that his temperature is not accurate, you can purchase a separate hygrometer WH32 to replace the temperature and humidity of WS80.

Interesting, didn't realize temperature would affect wind readings???