Author Topic: New WeatherLink Live Hardware Coming Soon! on Davis Website  (Read 7797 times)

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
Re: New WeatherLink Live Hardware Coming Soon! on Davis Website
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2019, 10:00:14 PM »
So, if I don't have a 'smart' cellphone, it's not gonna work for me?!?
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2019, 03:39:32 AM »
So, if I don't have a 'smart' cellphone, it's not gonna work for me?!?

You don't need a smartphone to run WLL. You won't be able to see live (local data refreshes on what looks like a 2.5 second frequency on the WL app) updates on the local network, but that's the main limitation.

HOWEVER: The standard setup method uses a Bluetooth connection from a smartphone or tablet so you may not be able to get a new unit going unless you can beg/borrow/steal a smartphone for the initial set-up. (There is also a cabled network interface but not clear yet whether there's any way of doing the set-up this way - I haven't seen a manual yet but hopefully sometime this week.)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 03:57:21 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2019, 04:37:02 AM »
This smartphone/Bluetooth setup requirement has been proven a nightmare and failure with other technologies in recent times, rather a dumb idea this type of setup methology 

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2019, 05:12:30 PM »
This smartphone/Bluetooth setup requirement has been proven a nightmare and failure with other technologies in recent times, rather a dumb idea this type of setup methology
Yep! Reminds me of my ISP asking "why?" I only gave them one STAR (there was no NO STAR box to check) for their VOIP take-over/transfer of my previous 'copper-wire based" landline telephone number; to which, my response was: "How do I call you (ISP) to report a computer or TV-media problem when the phone can't get THRU your 'failed' computer/media interface?" There was a L-O-N-G delay before the ISP caller responded.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 05:15:49 PM by Old Tele man »
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2019, 07:00:09 PM »
Update for the WL Android app came out today. Few new improvements but it did say it supports WLL.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2019, 07:26:40 PM »

My experience with configuring the WeatherFlow Hub via Bluetooth using a smartphone was the furthest thing from a nightmare, so I would not call configuring the WLL using the same methodology a dumb idea in the 21st century.

Does anyone know if Davis has published even a draft copy of the WLL local API yet?  Just curious to see how much work will be required to develop a new station driver.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2019, 09:00:19 PM »
Does anyone know if Davis has published even a draft copy of the WLL local API yet?  Just curious to see how much work will be required to develop a new station driver.....

No word on API yet. No ETA.

But here is an idea. Use APK Extractor to get the APK file to your computer. Then use some tools like Android SDK and dex2jar and JD-GUI  Android Eclipse or Studio and a lot of know how and you can basically decompile the app. A decompiled app means you get to see the source code. With the source code you can see how to talk to the WLL, basically revealing the API. Now you use the API and build your own Python script or WeeWx driver or whatever you program in to pull data. You can go through all that work or wait. What's the rush anyway, it's not like anyone has a WLL...yet. Hopefully the API will be out at the same time as the WLL.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 09:06:09 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2019, 03:19:00 AM »
Hopefully the API will be out at the same time as the WLL.

Probably not, I'm afraid, unless there's some change of plan at Davis. I'm expecting WLL to be available maybe in the next 2-3 weeks but API is scheduled for 'summer'. Plans can change of course  ;)
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2019, 05:24:32 AM »
What's the rush anyway, it's not like anyone has a WLL...yet. Hopefully the API will be out at the same time as the WLL.

It seems that I have become the de-facto WeeWX UDP station driver developer.  If they are throwing out UDP broadcasts of station data on the local subnet, I need to budget to buy a WLL and set aside plenty of time to write another fork of my existing drivers to support it.....

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2019, 06:10:06 AM »
What's the rush anyway, it's not like anyone has a WLL...yet. Hopefully the API will be out at the same time as the WLL.

It seems that I have become the de-facto WeeWX UDP station driver developer.  If they are throwing out UDP broadcasts of station or on the local subnet, I need to budget to buy a WLL and set aside plenty of time to write another fork of my existing drivers to support it.....

You should set up a Patreon or gofundme or PayPal for contributions. You shouldn't need to buy the hardware. Let people show you their appreciation by everyone chipping in a bit.
Tele-Pole

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2019, 07:21:53 AM »
You should set up a Patreon or gofundme or PayPal for contributions. You shouldn't need to buy the hardware. Let people show you their appreciation by everyone chipping in a bit.

My philosophy is that 'tis better to give than to receive.  Quoting the boilerplate last paragraph of every readme file that I've ever shared on GitHub:

Code: [Select]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Finally:

This is the part where I am supposed to put in a PayPal link and ask for
donations if you find this code useful.  Since I am financially solvent (and
would starve to death if I had to make a living as a programmer), :-)  I would
like to encourage anyone reading this to make a small donation to a local
not-for-profit school, hospital, animal shelter, or other charity of your
choice who appreciates philanthropic support.

Honestly, I'm just hoping that if Davis is actually doing UDP broadcasts from the WLL (which is still not known) that they do it "right" using proper native JSON...and not some of the current vendor-specific things that others are using in their stations.....

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2019, 09:28:37 AM »

My philosophy is that 'tis better to give than to receive.  Quoting the boilerplate last paragraph of every readme file that I've ever shared on GitHub:

Code: [Select]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Finally:

This is the part where I am supposed to put in a PayPal link and ask for
donations if you find this code useful.  Since I am financially solvent (and
would starve to death if I had to make a living as a programmer), :-)  I would
like to encourage anyone reading this to make a small donation to a local
not-for-profit school, hospital, animal shelter, or other charity of your
choice who appreciates philanthropic support.

Honestly, I'm just hoping that if Davis is actually doing UDP broadcasts from the WLL (which is still not known) that they do it "right" using proper native JSON...and not some of the current vendor-specific things that others are using in their stations.....

Hats off to you kind sir.
Tele-Pole

Offline jmello65

« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2019, 01:20:11 AM »
Does anyone have any info on Davis Mobilize App --  cant get it to work -- was working partially --  now not working   help

Offline Tazz 316

• Contributor
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2019, 01:22:22 PM »
Does anyone have any info on Davis Mobilize App --  cant get it to work -- was working partially --  now not working   help

app works fine for me on iOS. iphone/ipad.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2019, 01:40:25 PM »

Do you definitely have a Pro upgrade on the station?
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline jmello65

« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2019, 06:54:43 PM »
I have the 30 day trail - before they charge me --  does that make a difference ????  it was partially working -- now its not working at all
   help

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2019, 05:01:12 AM »
Actually I have a suspicion that Mobilize is primarily relevant to Enviromonitor stations, see eg:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=9&v=J6Fk95eU1pE

TBH the available documentation doesn't make it 100% clear but Mobilize always seem to be talked about only in relation to EM stations and so probably doesn't work properly with eg WLL stations, at least for the time being.

Edit: Actually, looking a little more closely I'm wondering if you need an EM station first in order to create a Mobilize view within an account. And then once you have the view, it can then be applied to other - including non-EM - stations. But you still need a Pro station to be able to see Mobilize views.

Why does mobilize still show in the browser app? Good question!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 08:16:38 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline jmello65

« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2019, 06:12:05 PM »
Tazz316 - What time of weather station do u have ?   -- I have weatherlink live -- vantage pro -- The Mobolize App -- It seemed to partially work - now its not working. Bit confused -- Do I have to have a higher grade davis station. Did I do the setup incorrectly. I cant find any instructions -- from start to the finish  -- very vague

Offline Tazz 316

• Contributor
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2019, 08:11:31 PM »
Tazz316 - What time of weather station do u have ?   -- I have weatherlink live -- vantage pro -- The Mobolize App -- It seemed to partially work - now its not working. Bit confused -- Do I have to have a higher grade davis station. Did I do the setup incorrectly. I cant find any instructions -- from start to the finish  -- very vague

I have a VP2.

Offline boss281

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2019, 08:36:02 AM »
Interesting thread on this new hardwire.

I currently have a PC dedicated to the usb connection with the console and run Cumulus for my Davis VP2, primarily to get the data to WeatherUnderground (I like the RapidFire updates).

I assume that if you you the WeatherLink Live hardware the WeatherUnderground push is restricted to the payment plans through Davis, correct?  No API yet to support other software, etc?
Weather Underground PWS KMDNEWWI3

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2019, 08:47:34 AM »
No API yet to support other software, etc?

To my understanding only Meteobridge can talk to it. No other software as of yet.

----
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus +FARS|Meteobridge Nano SD|Meteohub|Meteobridge MR-3020|WU KTXSPRIN75/PWS JRARGWX75/CWOP EW2972/WBB TXWDVUE75/Blitzortung ID: 1142|AWEKAS: 12095
Donations are welcome: https://paypal.me/ffuentesb

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2019, 08:49:48 AM »
With just the WLL and reporting to Weatherlink.com yes you are correct, there is no rapidfire to WU.

The WLL API is coming. But some people are already working on figuring it out without official documentation. If you have a Meteobridge you can currently use the API and then publish to just about anywhere including WU Rapidfire. I believe work is being done now with Cumulus MX and I suspect it too will be able to use the WLL API soon. I'm sure Weather-Display and WeeWx are not far off either. It will be a standard pretty soon with just about any weather software solution after the API is released officially I'm sure. Of course those on Cumulus 1 may not be so fortunate.

Meteobridge connectivity is pretty straight forward to set up.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 10:32:22 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline havtrail

• Senior Contributor
    • Haverford Weather Station
« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2019, 11:09:00 AM »
Based on my experience with Onset's HOBOlink service, I would caution to add that you also have no idea how timely weatherlink.com's servers will (or won't) be in pushing your data along to WU. It may not be immediate, or it could be held for a batch-send, or simply given lower priority to other server tasks.

With HOBOlink, this all happens "behind the curtain" and the user has no way of knowing unless he or she tries to do some detective work. I can say from careful observation of my very long update lags, that on WU the update time shown on the PWS page has changed. I could tell that it used to reflect the time the data push was received by WU, and now it shows the observation timestamp of the data instead. Perhaps someone here has carefully observed the weatherlink.com data against the console data to determine if there is any latency.

Rich K.
Onset HOBO RX2102 Cellular
https://www.havtrail.com/weather/
NEWA https://newa.cornell.edu Haverford, PA

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2019, 01:47:07 PM »
Based on my experience with Onset's HOBOlink service, I would caution to add that you also have no idea how timely weatherlink.com's servers will (or won't) be in pushing your data along to WU. It may not be immediate, or it could be held for a batch-send, or simply given lower priority to other server tasks.

With HOBOlink, this all happens "behind the curtain" and the user has no way of knowing unless he or she tries to do some detective work. I can say from careful observation of my very long update lags, that on WU the update time shown on the PWS page has changed. I could tell that it used to reflect the time the data push was received by WU, and now it shows the observation timestamp of the data instead. Perhaps someone here has carefully observed the weatherlink.com data against the console data to determine if there is any latency.

Rich K.

Didn't know about HOBO.
How do you like the system?

----
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus +FARS|Meteobridge Nano SD|Meteohub|Meteobridge MR-3020|WU KTXSPRIN75/PWS JRARGWX75/CWOP EW2972/WBB TXWDVUE75/Blitzortung ID: 1142|AWEKAS: 12095
Donations are welcome: https://paypal.me/ffuentesb

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2019, 03:02:53 PM »
The WLL API is coming.
but it has already been official released
I'm sure Weather-Display and WeeWx are not far off either.
weather display has had support added for a while now