Author Topic: Suggestion: school program  (Read 735 times)

Offline JonathanW

• Engineer
  • Forecaster
Suggestion: school program
« on: May 16, 2014, 09:40:54 AM »
As an FYI, I've forwarded information about the Blitzortung network and sensors to a friend of mine at Iowa State University.  He's a long time ham and electronics hobbyist, and I think he's interested in building and installing a sensor on the campus.  Which made me think:  a lot of colleges and universities must have similar people (especially if they have electrical engineering departments) who would be interested in such a project.  Has anyone tried outreach?  The Blitzortung network is a near-perfect non-commercial system for a college environment.

The prevalence of Weatherbug sites at grade and high schools also indicates to me that there might be interest in such systems deployed there, as well.  Of course, system construction might be more of an issue in that case.

Anyway, that might be a way to increase network density/coverage here in the States...

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
Re: Suggestion: school program
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 10:13:08 AM »
I would love one at my school.

But- cost is an issue.

2. If it is wired, I cannot  get some wires into the building.  It would have to be flexible enough to shut into a crank window.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
Re: Suggestion: school program
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 10:19:13 AM »
I would love one at my school.

But- cost is an issue.

2. If it is wired, I cannot  get some wires into the building.  It would have to be flexible enough to shut into a crank window.
The H field antennas do not have to be outside, unless there's a gross amount of near-field magnetic... and shielding sometimes helps with electric. Many of our loops are indoors. The E field probes need to be outside, but they are only now becoming available. You'd do fine with H field ferrites, even short ones. 4000km range is no longer the issue as the network grows.
Write a grant request. Get local electric company to sponsor. Go after golf course sponsors...  :lol: