Author Topic: Super Typhoon Haiyan Closes in on the Philippines With 190 mph Sustained Winds  (Read 7637 times)

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
This is an incomprehensible storm.  Gusts to 230 mph!   :shock:

You might get brushed with the remnants of this, DanS.

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=2572
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
I've seen people calling this "The Perfect Storm".  It's impressive for sure.

Central pressure, last I saw, was recorded at 895mb.  For Americans (and others who use inches of mercury) that's about 26.43 inHG.  The record is 870mb.

Wow.
Current setup: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
This is an incomprehensible storm.  Gusts to 230 mph!   :shock:

You might get brushed with the remnants of this, DanS.

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=2572

... and after us then on over to John's (Scalphunter's) area if it follows suit with the previous storms.

Currently the Thai Met. Dept. has it's projected path heading our way with forecasts saying it will fizzle out before getting inland very far.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 03:16:41 PM by DanS »

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
Haven't been following the tropics much due to our lame season, but THAT is one impressive storm!
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Check out the stats on the top of the weather screen here. Incredible!

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
    • Colorado Springs Weather
That storm is like WOW!

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
It will be interesting to see if there is any impact on North America eventually.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
That's what I'm watching for also.

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
if it swing north like they been doing it will. Last one thru here hit 948mb and there still lot of coastal flood and erosion happening.

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
This is just an amazing picture (one of many I've seen today)
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
if it swing north like they been doing it will. Last one thru here hit 948mb and there still lot of coastal flood and erosion happening.

Projections are indicating some more wind/moisture may be on it's way up there if it catches the stream like the others.

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
It will be interesting to see if there is any impact on North America eventually.

What would your best-guess time frame be for the residuals to find NA (if they did make it that far)?

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit
www.LasCruces-Weather.com   www.EastMesaWeather.com

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather

What would your best-guess time frame be for the residuals to find NA (if they did make it that far)?

My ROT has always been +/- 1 day per time zone.  But the swing northward could add 50% to that?
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline PugetSoundStormWatch

• Your Western Washington Weather Enthusiast!
    • PSSW Facebook Page

The remnants of Usagi came back to the Pacific Northwest in the form of a Bombogenesis, so there's always a chance if this happening again. But considering this is a megastorm, the pressure could drop lower if it crosses the Pacific once more.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 11:19:50 PM by PugetSoundStormWatch »
-Stations: LaCrosse C84612, Ambient Weather Caddie
-Software: HeavyWeather WS-2800

-PSSW on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Puget-Sound-Storm-Watch/335687419886238?ref=hl
-YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/MiltonWATech99

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
Here's an interesting graphic:

Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather

My ROT has always been +/- 1 day per time zone.  But the swing northward could add 50% to that?

Sounds reasonable to me to have as a ROT. Thanks.

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
I have a couple of issues with the stats regarding this storm, but first let me say my thoughts and Prayers go out to all affected in that part of the World.

The way I understand it, not a single airplane was flown into the storm to gather accurate stats, correct?

How many anemometers can register a "sustained" wind of 190 and where was it placed? When I say placed was it ground level, flight level, what?

What is the source for the minimum pressure reading?

Before we go off half cocked like the media already has and proclaim this "The strongest storm to even hit Earth" I think some numbers need verified.

And finally, how long until some reporter or TV Met (Like TWC) decides they want to make the news and proclaim something like "This storm was the direct result of Climate Change!! Were it not for the Earth's warming it would not have been nearly as strong!!"

Facts carry a lot more weight in my opinion that bull does.

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
    • Southern Maryland Weather
Those wind readings were most likely derived from Scatterometry ( at least prelim figures). I am not sure if any aircraft recon flights were ever done nor what other sensors derived both pressure and winds. Would be most interested in how such figures were derived....

Jim

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
Those wind readings were most likely derived from Scatterometry ( at least prelim figures). I am not sure if any aircraft recon flights were ever done nor what other sensors derived both pressure and winds. Would be most interested in how such figures were derived....

Jim

I think I read that some wind speeds were satellite image estimated.  I'll try to find that.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
From USA Today:
Super Typhoon Haiyan hit Guiuan, on the Philippine island of Samar, at 4:40 a.m. local time Friday. Three hours before landfall, the Joint Typhoon Warning Center assessed Haiyan's sustained winds at 195 mph, gusting to 235 mph, making it the fourth-strongest tropical cyclone in world history.

The warning center uses satellites to estimate the wind speed of typhoons and hurricanes.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
Check out the flood gates at this dam in Taiwan.
Just wow!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFQTDuFecLw

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
Now there are reports that the death toll could reach 10K. :shock:
I would expect a high casualty count but if this happens it would be a huge tragedy as they knew this storm was approaching for sometime. The Philippines aren't an impoverished country like  Haiti. I just find it hard to believe that people wouldn't evacuate based on the immense power of that storm.
I would hope those projections turn out to be false.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx

Projections are indicating some more wind/moisture may be on it's way up there if it catches the stream like the others.

Here you go John, another one loading into the chamber. What's left of Haiyan may add to your activity up there.

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
With 150 knot jet out of Asia be 3 maybe 4 days at most.  Onc e it hits that cold air it will intensify again like the last one did.

John

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
Before we go off half cocked like the media already has and proclaim this "The strongest storm to even hit Earth" I think some numbers need verified.

What I first heard was it was the strongest in history to make landfall;leaving room for stronger storms that remain at sea. I guess sensationalism knows no bounds when it comes to news.