Author Topic: New WX Geek, Looking for a good starting point system  (Read 2166 times)

Offline digitalboi

New WX Geek, Looking for a good starting point system
« on: June 14, 2014, 01:57:04 PM »
Greetings All!

I am what i guess you would call a newbie weather geek. Always loved weather but recently learned about home weather systems. I want to get something that will allow me to post my data to WU. A system that is reliable and has good capabilities, but not something that will break the bank. Since this is my first system i'd like to keep it on the cheaper side. And if it turns into a real long term hobby i can upgrade to a pricery system in the future.
I live in Florida so it needs to stand up to lots of harsh sun and lots of rain. I'll be mounting it on top of the roof on my 3 story townhouse. So something that i never have to actually touch is preferable since getting up there is not an easy task. And though not required, something that is wireless is preferred, more so for the lightning factor. I am concerned that if i hard wire the system to my computer i will open my system up to the severe lightning we have down here. My computer is already on 24/7 so thats not an issue either.
Thanks for all of your support and help! I can't wait to start posting data!!

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
Re: New WX Geek, Looking for a good starting point system
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 02:13:55 PM »
Welcome and enjoy your stay!  :)

You'll find as many opinions as there are members here!   :roll:

To get the most bang for the buck, start with a Davis Vue.  All in one piece, wireless, sturdy, etc.  There are members here in FL that will vouch for durability in tropical weather.

When shopping, be sure and ask for the unadvertised price.  You can save quite a bit.  Be sure and get the datalogger, so that you can connect the console to the computer.  You can get serial, USB, or IP versions.  It comes with software, but there are third party software you can use, too.

Good luck putting up your station and sorting through the opinions.  :)
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline digitalboi

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 09:24:03 AM »
Thanks for the reply!

Maybe you can help explain something to me, if it's wireless what's the PC bridge for?

I read there is a lot of free software logging tools out there, are there any decent ones or should I pony up for the commercial software?

I see that you can get a web cam add-on for some if them, does the VUE handle that or is it a totally separate?

Thanks again for the info!!

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 10:16:09 AM »
The wireless or wired versions is the connection/communication from the outside station to your console.  For Davis stations a datalogger is needed to be purchased as an extra item if you want to connect the console to a computer or router.  The Davis Weatherlink Serial or USB datalogger versions connect to a computer, the Davis WeatherlinkIP datalogger version connects to a router.

The Davis Weatherlink datalogger kits come with the Weatherlink software that will get you started.  However many users use third party software that are either purchase, donation ware, or free and a search on the forum will get you endless discussion on these.  I am a very satisfied Cumulus user which is donationware.

Most non-Davis stations have the computer connection/datalogger included with the station.

A webcam would be an additional separate item which needs its own software.

Paul

Offline wxtech

• Weather Equipment Technician
  • Forecaster
  • USAF Weather Equipment Maintenance Tech (retired)
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 11:31:13 AM »
Welcome to the best wx forum, as addictive as Facebook.  The best weather station starting point is with a Davis Vantage Pro 2.  There are too many variations/models to nail one down for your needs.
I started building my own wx station way back in 2002.  Settled on a Davis because it was cheaper than DIY.  I still have that Davis VP and bought the newer model in 2005.
Don't think about putting your system on the roof.  The temperature sensor needs to be at ground level.  The rain sensor needs clean-outs due to bird deposits and airborne tree leaves.
The Davis VP2 is designed so that you can remote the anemometer & vane up high while having the sensors at ground level.  Don't measure your roof temperature.
I thought I needed a back-up so I bought a Vue because it used the same console and datalogger.  The Vue didn't meet my expectations.  I sold the Vue on this forum.  At 8 years old, I had my VP2 refurbished by Davis and they returned a like new, calibrated system.
Davis has the most variations, best accuracy and best support. 
Al    Wx Eqpt Tech
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 11:33:55 AM by wxtech »
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline GTXJackBauer

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 04:32:07 AM »
The davis stations are great but also pricey.  I would recommend taking a look at the "Ambient Weather WS-1000-WIFI OBSERVER Solar Powered Wireless WiFi Weather Station with Internet Publishing" all built-in for a much cheaper price.  It literally comes with everything you would get from a $600-$800+ Davis w/ internet/WIFI etc.  Installation is a breeze.  It doesn't connect to the PC as it only connects to your WIFI network and broadcasts to your base unit and WUnderground.  There you can use the browser and station to observe your readouts as well as some free software out there.  I am not sure if the accuracy or the durability is up to par as the davis units but all I can say is it works marvelously.  It only recently got released in Jan-Feb of this year.  I believe I got mine in the beginning of March.  Been using it for a few months now and I can't complain.  It only comes with a 1 year warranty.  I just hope it lasts for years.  If you want something more reputable than go with Davis. 

The price point for this station is $249.99 and they've been selling like hot cakes.  They just got their next shipment in as they were out of stock for quite some time.

Here's a nice video that sold me and explains everything really well.

http://youtu.be/5DA1uzROM9w

Hope this helps and let us know what you have decided on.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 04:42:53 AM by GTXJackBauer »