Author Topic: Goodbye Acurite  (Read 1664 times)

Offline hdtvluvr

• Senior Contributor
Goodbye Acurite
« on: November 11, 2021, 04:59:13 PM »
Well, I have been using Acurite systems since the 5in1 came out.  Several years ago, I upgraded to the flashier Atlas due to it having more bells and whistles.  During this time I realized the mistake I had made and should have stayed with the 5in1.  Now leading to today. 

My Atlas has been dead for several months.  Display and the Access could no longer see the Atlas.  Checked everything - no go.  So here we are today.  I will not be replacing my weather station for the time being.  Perhaps next year.  When and if the time comes, I will be looking for a better system.  Maybe Ecowitt or Ambient weather.  Davis may be too much for the budget.  Whatever the system will be must have an easy non-PC required interface to push data to the internet and have an app for weather at my station.  Ideas are welcomed for me to keep in mind.

I'll keep getting notices for this group and will keep an eye out for any new (non Acurite) systems coming down the pike.  Thanks all for all of the assistance over the years.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: Goodbye Acurite
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2021, 06:30:05 PM »
Davis may be too much for the budget. 
Yes, they are more expensive but sometimes looking at the bigger picture is helpful. My VP2 is 14+ years old (not uncommon) and has been in the AZ sun as well. The only things I've had to replace has cost me about $50 over all those years, and even then it was still usable. Just food for thought.

Offline hdtvluvr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2021, 06:34:05 PM »
Thanks for that info.  Are you pushing data to the web?  if so, how?  What hardware is needed.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2021, 06:39:31 PM »
Thanks for that info.  Are you pushing data to the web?  if so, how?  What hardware is needed.
Yes, I'm online. There are quite a few ways. I've been using old school equipment (USB data logger and 24/7 laptop about 8 years) but that's no longer necessary. Others more in the know will give you the various options that I'm not fully qualified to answer properly.

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2021, 08:40:55 PM »

I'm using a Davis VP2 and genuine Davis USB logger, hooked to a Raspberry Pi running WeeWX.  Been 100% bullet-proof for over 3 years, and the only time that I've had to touch it was to clean some seeds out of the aerocone rain bucket's debris screen.

There are third-party logger devices available that will let you access the VP2 via wifi and send to the popular web sites, if you want to go that route.

What you will find is that the Davis ecosystem is not a kludge like AcuRite and the others when you want to access your station data locally, and hooking up a VP2 and data logger to WeeWX is as simple as picking a few menu choices and all of the underlying software is bundled.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline tandy1000

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2021, 09:57:51 PM »
I also made the move to a VP2. That’s after a 5N1 and 2 subsequent replacements, lots of lost communication with the consoles, missed wind gusts due to the infrequent updates, etc.

The Davis is a small fortune compared to the Acurite, but now it’s been a couple of years and I’m very happy. Started with the VP2 and 24 hour FARS. I’ve gradually built it up and have a 2nd roof mounted anemometer, leaf wetness sensor, solar radiation, soil moisture, soil temperature, etc.

It would be nice if they came out with a new console or at least reduced the cost of the antiquated one.

That said I still have my collection of Acurite Tower sensors and a couple of leak detectors, monitored by rtlL-433 and some custom scripts.

I’m using the WLL 6100 for access to the Davis data. I push to Weatherlink but most of the use is local, also with custom scripts and monitoring software. I’ve yet to decide on one of the self hosted weather software packages.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2021, 10:00:37 PM by tandy1000 »

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2021, 10:53:44 PM »
I also made the move to a VP2. That’s after a 5N1 and 2 subsequent replacements, lots of lost communication with the consoles, missed wind gusts due to the infrequent updates, etc.

The Davis is a small fortune compared to the Acurite, but now it’s been a couple of years and I’m very happy. Started with the VP2 and 24 hour FARS. I’ve gradually built it up and have a 2nd roof mounted anemometer, leaf wetness sensor, solar radiation, soil moisture, soil temperature, etc.

It would be nice if they came out with a new console or at least reduced the cost of the antiquated one.

That said I still have my collection of Acurite Tower sensors and a couple of leak detectors, monitored by rtlL-433 and some custom scripts.

I’m using the WLL 6100 for access to the Davis data. I push to Weatherlink but most of the use is local, also with custom scripts and monitoring software. I’ve yet to decide on one of the self hosted weather software packages.

Interesting comments. Yes, the Davis VP2 console is dated and horribly boring. Apparently Davis doesn’t care OR they understand how we use their equipment. In a typical day, I look at my 3 VP2 consoles maybe 2 minutes a day—I look at my data from my VP2 stations several times a day maybe 20 minutes a day. In short, I look at my data on CWOP, WU, etc. or my weather software not the console.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2021, 10:55:16 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline tandy1000

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2021, 11:22:14 PM »
Interesting comments. Yes, the Davis VP2 console is dated and horribly boring. Apparently Davis doesn’t care OR they understand how we use their equipment. In a typical day, I look at my 3 VP2 consoles maybe 2 minutes a day—I look at my data from my VP2 stations several times a day maybe 20 minutes a day. In short, I look at my data on CWOP, WU, etc. or my weather software not the console.

Ironically I just have the one VP2 console, and I use it quite a bit. It sits on my end table where I spend a good amount of my non-working hours. Very handy for a quick glance at the basics, and even the leaf wetness sensor usually tells me if there’s frost on my car windshield.

I moved my old Acurite console to the bedroom, it was a good way to check the outside temp when getting dressed. Now with no 5N1, I’m missing that data. Another Davis console would be handy, but very hard to justify the prices given its age.

Eventually I hope to roll my own, with a small LCD and a board that grabs data from the WLL.

I had high hopes for the Acurite Elite as a prosumer Davis alternative, but got tired of waiting. Not sure what/if Davis is thinking regarding the consoles, but perhaps enough people have been driven towards online viewing of data like yourself, and negating any desire for Davis to come out with something new.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2021, 11:39:17 PM »
Not sure what/if Davis is thinking regarding the consoles, but perhaps enough people have been driven towards online viewing of data like yourself, and negating any desire for Davis to come out with something new.
Of course they will when it'll meet whatever standards they decide on. It's a missed point on this subject often, but name me another brand of PWS that has a console that'll run 9 months on batteries alone.  It was designed to stay powered on and provide data, not look pretty.

Offline rct

• W2RCT
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2022, 05:36:27 PM »
My neighbor has been buying Davis. he hasn't been as lucky for long term longevity of the Davis weather station in a coastal environment. He replaced their original Vantage Pro with a Vantage Vue. After a few years the super capacitor went bad so even though the battery is good, the unit stops transmitting when the sun goes down. He doesn't have the skills to replace the super cap.

He is now considering something cheaper and more disposable.

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2022, 06:31:03 PM »
I started with a basic VP2 10 years ago and added parts as I could afford. Solar.. then UV... DFARS... Envoy. Over time it did cost me more but I didn't bust my budget by jumping in whole hog. I have added an additional Envoy that hosts a Wifilogger 1 to send data to various sites. I also have 3 consoles now thanks to eBay (for under $150 each.. there is one there right now for $135 and an Envoy for $99). It's very easy to update and repair.  The Davis's range, durability, and update rates is the best for the price.

One thing about the old school console. It runs at least 6 months or more on batteries and when I have have had friends over it is a conversation piece. (Friends over.. friends over... Feels like a 100 years ago when we did this.. 😁)
(Plug... I have a new unused anemometer transmitter for $80 + shipping US only)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2022, 06:33:28 PM by Garth Bock »

anything