Author Topic: WiFiLogger - Connect your Davis console directly to the Internet via WiFi  (Read 109115 times)

Offline rockncola

Re: WiFiLogger - Connect your Davis console directly to the Internet via WiFi
« Reply #775 on: January 18, 2019, 08:57:21 AM »
Is there a any way I can kick-start the download process again?
http://YOUR_WFL_IP/update
chose first option: Firmware update

And update to 2.00 again?

"Update failed to install. Restarting."

Ver 2.00 is downloading new firmware, it's triggered to start downloading after reboot.
Your units can't download full update and it's rebooting.
please try to use this: https://wifilogger.net/files/WiFiLogger208.zip to make regular update to 2.08

All working fine after manual update. Thanks.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #776 on: January 18, 2019, 09:07:40 AM »

No it's not fine, because your WFL has reboot 12 times and start to downloading HTML files again and again.
Probably internet problem, but maybe auto trigger to make update it is not good idea.
I will check this operation with several people and maybe change this procedure.

Thank you for your help.

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
« Reply #777 on: January 18, 2019, 09:09:41 AM »
Updated to version 2.0 with no issues.

Davis VP2 6163 | WiFi Logger
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline rockncola

« Reply #778 on: January 18, 2019, 09:18:55 AM »
Updated to version 2.0 with no issues.

The issue I had was the auto-update from 2.00 to 2.08. How did you go?

No it's not fine, because your WFL has reboot 12 times and start to downloading HTML files again and again.
Probably internet problem, but maybe auto trigger to make update it is not good idea.
I will check this operation with several people and maybe change this procedure.

Thank you for your help.

I obviously meant that my logger is working fine now after being stuck on 2.0. Don't know why it didn't auto-update itself.

By the way, how does the forecast feature work? Would it be possible to make it so it can be disabled? It says precipitation possible yet we're in a severe drought and there's no sign of any rain for the next week at least.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 09:27:14 AM by rockncola »

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
« Reply #779 on: January 18, 2019, 09:25:39 AM »
Upgraded to 2.08, also with no problems.
Davis VP2 6163 | WiFi Logger
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline rockncola

« Reply #780 on: January 18, 2019, 09:26:22 AM »

Good to hear. Just me I guess.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #781 on: January 18, 2019, 09:40:32 AM »
From 2.00 to 2.08 should be done by itself in about 5 minutes.
2.00 is only to change partition table and auto repair WFL to be operational.
I have tested this procedure many times, but maybe my server is to far from someone to make this procedure robust.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #782 on: January 18, 2019, 09:43:02 AM »
By the way, how does the forecast feature work? Would it be possible to make it so it can be disabled? It says precipitation possible yet we're in a severe drought and there's no sign of any rain for the next week at least.

It's forecast from console. If you don't like I could distribute index.html (first page) with this thing off, or add option and instruction how to disable.
I was thinking that WFL should be 1:1 with console.

Offline rockncola

« Reply #783 on: January 18, 2019, 09:53:27 AM »

It's forecast from console. If you don't like I could distribute index.html (first page) with this thing off, or add option and instruction how to disable.

Yeah, I thought it was from the console. Either method you mention to remove it would do. :)

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #784 on: January 18, 2019, 10:17:21 AM »

Yeah, I thought it was from the console. Either method you mention to remove it would do. :)
1. Download index.zip
2. unpack
3. upload index.html to WFL as HTML file SETUP|SYSTEM bottom of the page
4. go to http://YOUR_WFL_IP/edit
5. chose index.html from list on the left
6. find :
    var forecastdisplay = 1;
    //0 - disable forecast
    //1 - enable forecast
7. change var forecastdisplay = 1; to var forecastdisplay = 0;
8. click "save" button
9. reload your WFLs web page
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 10:29:04 AM by WiFiLogger »

Offline rockncola

« Reply #785 on: January 18, 2019, 10:42:56 AM »

1. Download index.zip
2. unpack
3. upload index.html to WFL as HTML file SETUP|SYSTEM bottom of the page
4. go to http://YOUR_WFL_IP/edit
5. chose index.html from list on the left
6. find :
    var forecastdisplay = 1;
    //0 - disable forecast
    //1 - enable forecast
7. change var forecastdisplay = 1; to var forecastdisplay = 0;
8. click "save" button
9. reload your WFLs web page

I am going to leave it for a while, but I will keep this post in mind. Thank you. :)

Offline mzac

« Reply #786 on: January 18, 2019, 03:17:01 PM »
I updated to 1.24S and now I get FileNotFound on all links... Do I need to do a hard reset on the unit?  I was doing this remotely from work so if I need to reset it I'll have to wait until I get home...

If I try the main link I get empty content

Any way to force it to reset?

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #787 on: January 18, 2019, 03:24:59 PM »
mzac, sounds like you missed the second step to upgrading firmware.  After you've gone up a version, you have to go into that ZIP file and find the HTML files as well.  On the Wifi screen, there was a spot where you have to upload the updated HTML files as well.  That will likely fix your link issue.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline mzac

« Reply #788 on: January 18, 2019, 03:27:22 PM »
Hmm however it said to go to 1.24S you didn't need to upload the HTML files... This was just a .bin file upload which is what the instructions said:

Go to SETUP|SYSTEM menu of your WFL and perform firmware update with WiFiLogger124S.bin file, as you have likely done before with any other firmware change. HTML files won’t be needed in this step.

mzac, sounds like you missed the second step to upgrading firmware.  After you've gone up a version, you have to go into that ZIP file and find the HTML files as well.  On the Wifi screen, there was a spot where you have to upload the updated HTML files as well.  That will likely fix your link issue.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #789 on: January 18, 2019, 03:36:56 PM »
Hmm however it said to go to 1.24S you didn't need to upload the HTML files... This was just a .bin file upload which is what the instructions said:

Go to SETUP|SYSTEM menu of your WFL and perform firmware update with WiFiLogger124S.bin file, as you have likely done before with any other firmware change. HTML files won’t be needed in this step.

What version you had before? It looks like you don't have any of HTML files.
http://YOUR_WFL_IP/admin/html
will allow you to upload HTML files. Start with system.html.
If you don't have HTML file this mean config files are also cleared. So you can upload system.html file and use it to update to version 2.00 which will download automaticly version 2.08.

Playing with version  1.24S is for protec your settings, but it wasn't work in your case.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 03:39:01 PM by WiFiLogger »

Offline mzac

« Reply #790 on: January 18, 2019, 03:38:57 PM »
Ok I got the files re-uploaded using curl

Code: [Select]
root@pi3:/media/nas1-downloads/WFL_Update_200/WFL_Update_200/WiFiLogger124S/html# curl -F 'data=arch.html' davis/admin/html
root@pi3:/media/nas1-downloads/WFL_Update_200/WFL_Update_200/WiFiLogger124S/html# curl -F 'data=edit.html' davis/admin/html
root@pi3:/media/nas1-downloads/WFL_Update_200/WFL_Update_200/WiFiLogger124S/html# curl -F 'data=export.html' davis/admin/html
root@pi3:/media/nas1-downloads/WFL_Update_200/WFL_Update_200/WiFiLogger124S/html# curl -F 'data=ftpexport.html' davis/admin/html
root@pi3:/media/nas1-downloads/WFL_Update_200/WFL_Update_200/WiFiLogger124S/html# curl -F 'data=index.html' davis/admin/html
root@pi3:/media/nas1-downloads/WFL_Update_200/WFL_Update_200/WiFiLogger124S/html# curl -F 'data=info.html' davis/admin/html
root@pi3:/media/nas1-downloads/WFL_Update_200/WFL_Update_200/WiFiLogger124S/html# curl -F 'data=setup.html' davis/admin/html
root@pi3:/media/nas1-downloads/WFL_Update_200/WFL_Update_200/WiFiLogger124S/html# curl -F 'data=style.css' davis/admin/html
root@pi3:/media/nas1-downloads/WFL_Update_200/WFL_Update_200/WiFiLogger124S/html# curl -F 'data=system.html' davis/admin/html
root@pi3:/media/nas1-downloads/WFL_Update_200/WFL_Update_200/WiFiLogger124S/html# curl -F 'data=wifi.html' davis/admin/html

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #791 on: January 18, 2019, 03:40:51 PM »

Hacker

can you open
http://YOUR_WFL_IP/config.json
http://YOUR_WFL_IP/stationconfig.json
??

Offline mzac

« Reply #792 on: January 18, 2019, 03:46:03 PM »
:)

Yes now I was able to upgrade to v2.0, and now it has upgraded to 2.08.  I was able to download the json files yes...

Hacker

can you open
http://YOUR_WFL_IP/config.json
http://YOUR_WFL_IP/stationconfig.json
??

Offline mzac

« Reply #793 on: January 18, 2019, 03:48:40 PM »
All good now, however I see a typo in the custom export settings:

"FTP file settings:

should be

FTP file settings:

So maybe there is an escaped \" somewhere in there...

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #794 on: January 18, 2019, 03:49:07 PM »
Yes now I was able to upgrade to v2.0, and now it has upgraded to 2.08.  I was able to download the json files yes...
No, version 1.24S was to download JSONs. Now you will need to configure your WFL manually :(
It has factory settings now.

I don't know why your update to 1.24S wiped out all files. It could happened with first batch, but not now. Sorry.

Offline mzac

« Reply #795 on: January 18, 2019, 03:54:56 PM »
It is all good :)  When I uploaded the html files with curl I was able to download the two json config files.  Now after updating to 2.08 I was able to upload them, reset and all config is back to normal.

I like that you can now see the low battery warning on the transmitter. I replaced my battery 2 days ago when it was -20C outside but it is still giving me a warning.  There is still a LED flashing on my vantage vue outside.  This happens every winter!  We don't get enough sun to charge the capacitor with the solar panel.

I saw there is 'trbat' being sent in the json and mqtt, mine is currently '8' and in your spreadsheet it didn't say what the values meant?

No, version 1.24S was to download JSONs. Now you will need to configure your WFL manually :(
It has factory settings now.

I don't know why your update to 1.24S wiped out all files. It could happened with first batch, but not now. Sorry.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #796 on: January 18, 2019, 04:07:10 PM »
I saw there is 'trbat' being sent in the json and mqtt, mine is currently '8' and in your spreadsheet it didn't say what the values meant?

To better understand WiFiLogger and console maybe you will need this: https://www.davisinstruments.com/support/weather/download/VantageSerialProtocolDocs_v261.pdf
WiFiLogger is transmission device. All I need to do is to take data from console and send it in convinient way via wifi to the Internet.
This Davis manual will allow you to understand that only main temp has decimal, all other are in full F degree and other usefull informations.

trbatt = Transmitter Battery Status
I think it's 8 bits.
trbatt = 00000000b means no problem
trbatt = 00000001b LOW BATTERY ON STATION 1
trbatt = 00000010b LOW BATTERY ON STATION 2
trbatt = 10010001b LOW BATTERY ON STATION 1,5 and 8

Offline mzac

« Reply #797 on: January 18, 2019, 04:13:19 PM »
Ok this is awesome!  Will be a good read tonight!

BTW you've done a really good job on this product!  I'm very happy! :D

And yes I'm a bit of hacker, part of me and my job..

To better understand WiFiLogger and console maybe you will need this: https://www.davisinstruments.com/support/weather/download/VantageSerialProtocolDocs_v261.pdf
WiFiLogger is transmission device. All I need to do is to take data from console and send it in convinient way via wifi to the Internet.
This Davis manual will allow you to understand that only main temp has decimal, all other are in full F degree and other usefull informations.

trbatt = Transmitter Battery Status
I think it's 8 bits.
trbatt = 00000000b means no problem
trbatt = 00000001b LOW BATTERY ON STATION 1
trbatt = 00000010b LOW BATTERY ON STATION 2
trbatt = 10010001b LOW BATTERY ON STATION 1,5 and 8

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #798 on: January 18, 2019, 04:14:30 PM »
I like that you can now see the low battery warning on the transmitter.
Option ordered by WheatonRon

and twcmaster ordered WiFiLogger info on first page.
On the left top corner you have device name which can be change in WiFi setup menu.
When you click on it you have IP and MAC address to recognize which WFL is this. There are people with multiple WiFiLoggers.
Those info will be added to JSON export file to.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 04:20:17 PM by WiFiLogger »

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #799 on: January 18, 2019, 04:27:42 PM »
BTW you've done a really good job on this product!  I'm very happy! :D

There is nothing like a happy client. :)

anything