Author Topic: Will Cumulus Auto Boot?  (Read 4677 times)

Offline gfmucci

• Senior Contributor
Will Cumulus Auto Boot?
« on: December 26, 2015, 02:38:31 PM »
With Cumulus I notice there is a station configuration option for "restart if unplugged" and "restart if data stops."  Do you know if this will automatically restart the program after the computer reboots?

My WeatherLink software does not automatically reboot after my computer reboots, even if I set the Task Manager "Startup" option to do so (I am told this is a new issue with Windos 10).

This is an issue for me because my anti-virus and malware programs do their thing in the middle of the night and then shut down and reboot my desktop computer.  WeatherLink does not come back up, so I am trying Cumulus and hope that does so I don't disrupt my Weather Underground uploads.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Re: Will Cumulus Auto Boot?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2015, 08:50:50 PM »
With Cumulus I notice there is a station configuration option for "restart if unplugged" and "restart if data stops."  Do you know if this will automatically restart the program after the computer reboots?
No, I don't believe those settings will start Cumulus automatically but from what I have read and on the Cumulus FAQ Cumulus 1 can be set to autostart in Windows
How do I make Cumulus run automatically when Windows starts?

There is no option in Cumulus to set this up automatically as I prefer to leave it under the control of the user: The safest and most reliable method is simply to put a shortcut in your Startup folder. If you are running Vista or Windows 7, you may find that Cumulus gets blocked by UAC if you try to run it from the Startup folder, in which case it is recommended that you use Task Scheduler instead. See here for a good description of how to do this - http://blogs.techrepublic.com/window-on-windows/?p=616
http://wiki.sandaysoft.com/a/FAQ#How_do_I_make_Cumulus_run_automatically_when_Windows_starts.3F

And there are also newly developed options for autostart in Cumulus MX with Pi.

Paul

Offline corwyyn

• Forecaster
  • Far, far east Mesa, AZ
    • Sleeping Saguaros Weather  Mesa, AZ
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2015, 05:30:11 AM »
Since you say you're running Win10 the easiest thing to do is to right-click on the Start button and select 'File Explorer', when that opens go to the address bar and click in it to highlight whatever is there (mine says 'Quick access'), then type shell:startup, this will open your startup folder.  In the startup folder right-click in an empty area then select 'New > shortcut'; in the 'Create Shortcut' window that opens click 'Browse' and navigate to your Cumulus folder (mine is 'This PC > Local Disk (C:) > Cumulus') and select the Cumulus application file (it will have the Cumulus logo for an icon) and click 'OK'.  When you're back at the 'Create Shortcut' window you will see the path for the application file, click on 'Next' and then if you're happy with the default name it assigns (should be 'cumulus') click 'OK'.  This will add a shortcut for Cumulus in the startup folder and whenever your computer reboots Cumulus will start along with all the other programs like your AV, firewall, etc. 
Kevin
AD5VG
Blitzortung station 1042

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2015, 05:48:12 AM »
Glad to see Windows continued its user friendliness, :grin:
Randy

Offline corwyyn

• Forecaster
  • Far, far east Mesa, AZ
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2015, 06:21:13 AM »
Oh yeah the more things change the more chances to mess them up!
Kevin
AD5VG
Blitzortung station 1042

Offline corwyyn

• Forecaster
  • Far, far east Mesa, AZ
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2015, 06:37:47 AM »
So after typing all of that I suppose it would be just as easy to open the startup folder, open a new explorer window and go to the cumulus folder, right - click on the cumulus application file and select 'create shortcut' then drag the shortcut into the startup folder.  Sometimes I like to make Rube Goldberg devices when a simple switch will do...
Kevin
AD5VG
Blitzortung station 1042

Offline gfmucci

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2015, 07:13:35 AM »
Since you say you're running Win10 the easiest thing to do is to right-click on the Start button and select 'File Explorer', when that opens go to the address bar and click in it to highlight whatever is there (mine says 'Quick access'), then type shell:startup, this will open your startup folder.  In the startup folder right-click in an empty area then select 'New > shortcut'; in the 'Create Shortcut' window that opens click 'Browse' and navigate to your Cumulus folder (mine is 'This PC > Local Disk (C:) > Cumulus') and select the Cumulus application file (it will have the Cumulus logo for an icon) and click 'OK'.  When you're back at the 'Create Shortcut' window you will see the path for the application file, click on 'Next' and then if you're happy with the default name it assigns (should be 'cumulus') click 'OK'.  This will add a shortcut for Cumulus in the startup folder and whenever your computer reboots Cumulus will start along with all the other programs like your AV, firewall, etc.
Yup.  That works!  Thanks. 

But I did notice under Station Settings:Program Settings I had to have the following checked and unchecked:

Uncheck "Confirm Shutdown"
Uncheck "Close on Suspend"
Uncheck "Stop 2nd instance"
Check "Restart if unplugged"
Check "Restart if data stops"

I don't remember which one, but one extra was checked and when I minimized the program into the Task Bar, the program Icon showed there, but Cumulus would not re-open unless I rebooted the computer.

But all is well now and it works as intended.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 07:21:31 AM by gfmucci »

anything