Author Topic: Davis Pro2 data reporting question  (Read 35625 times)

Offline Flag

• Forecaster
Re: Davis Pro2 data reporting question
« Reply #125 on: September 18, 2011, 05:03:51 PM »
I simply used what the weatherlink software detected when it first connected to the WLIP, as the software said it found the WLIP and had an address attached.  I did not enter any new/additional addresses.

It has been suggested several times to fix the (static) IP address of the WLIP relative to the router.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #126 on: September 18, 2011, 05:07:49 PM »
I simply used what the weatherlink software detected when it first connected to the WLIP, as the software said it found the WLIP and had an address attached.  I did not enter any new/additional addresses.

It has been suggested several times to fix the (static) IP address of the WLIP relative to the router.

Do you have simple instructions for wmcatty to follow, to do this (including his Westell A90 router)?

Offline xykotik

• DonkeyTailWX DW6891
  • Forecaster
  • I'll deal with it tomorrow
    • DonkeyTail Weather
« Reply #127 on: September 18, 2011, 05:19:14 PM »
I found a very "rough" guide to setting up that router.  HERE.

Perhaps someone with more Linksys experience can take it further.  On my connected devices themselves, I don't set a "STATIC IP" but instead RESERVE an IP address (within the assignable range) for the device's MAC address in the DHCP section of the router setup for just about every brand of consumer-grade router I have used.  The actual method will vary by brand/model.  That way I don't ever have to mess with the device, and whenever the router sees that MAC requesting an IP, it always assigns the same one.

Facit solem suum oriri super bonos et malos et pluit super iustos et iniustos.

Springtime in Seattle...  March comes in like a lion and out like a wet lion.

Offline wmcatty

• Forecaster
    • Heart of Texas Weather
« Reply #128 on: September 18, 2011, 06:27:43 PM »
I checked with weatherlink.com and the last data was recieved at 3:39 this afternoon.  At 5:15, I rebooted the router...no change.  I am giving up on this console and appreciate all your help for the past 2 weeks.  If the new console does not fix the problem, I will try to figure something else out.  I am pretty disgusted with this issue and need to get away from it or will stroke out. 
Davis Wireless Pro2 with Solar Sensor; Weatherlink 5.9.3; VWS; WLIP; CWOP DW8373; Wunderground KTXGATES4; CoCoRaHS=TX-CRL-4

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #129 on: September 18, 2011, 06:51:25 PM »
I checked with weatherlink.com and the last data was recieved at 3:39 this afternoon.  At 5:15, I rebooted the router...no change.  I am giving up on this console and appreciate all your help for the past 2 weeks.  If the new console does not fix the problem, I will try to figure something else out.  I am pretty disgusted with this issue and need to get away from it or will stroke out. 

Not that it matters, but I absolutely agree.  The next logical step is the console replacement.  If that doesn't fix it, I have some thoughts, but you (and we) should leave it for the moment.

Offline xykotik

• DonkeyTailWX DW6891
  • Forecaster
    • DonkeyTail Weather
« Reply #130 on: September 18, 2011, 07:02:57 PM »
Six pages of troubleshooting, and another great example of the usefulness of special-interest forums.  If after all of this, the console is the fix, great!  That doesn't mean any of this was wheel-spinning, because it will be (hopefully) googled and read by the next poor soul having this problem.  Two seemingly incompatible philosophies apply here...

Occam's Razor:  "The simplest solution is most often the correct one."
Edison's Defense:  "It's not 1000 failures, it's 1000 things that we now know won't work."

Offline wmcatty

• Forecaster
    • Heart of Texas Weather
« Reply #131 on: September 18, 2011, 07:17:00 PM »
I do not think it was wasted time, as I have learned alot from you boys.  Although most of the technical jargon was way over my  head, the step-by-step analysis and trouble shooting was interesting at the very least.  I will re-post after I get back later this week and let you know how the new console is working.  Have a good week to everyone.
Davis Wireless Pro2 with Solar Sensor; Weatherlink 5.9.3; VWS; WLIP; CWOP DW8373; Wunderground KTXGATES4; CoCoRaHS=TX-CRL-4

Offline Flag

• Forecaster
« Reply #132 on: September 19, 2011, 06:21:47 AM »

Do you have simple instructions for wmcatty to follow, to do this (including his Westell A90 router)?

Thought this might be more in line with your 50 years of computer experience  :lol: I've only had 1 years experience ..... 49 times over so you should be able to make simple instructions just that 1 year simplier  \:D/

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #133 on: September 19, 2011, 10:23:21 AM »

Thought this might be more in line with your 50 years of computer experience  :lol: I've only had 1 years experience ..... 49 times over so you should be able to make simple instructions just that 1 year simplier  \:D/

Thanks.

By the way, it looks like data flow to from WeatherLink.com from The Ranch re-started just after midnight.  I wonder why?  (Wmcatty said he wasn't going to do anything else with the router, etc.)

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #134 on: September 19, 2011, 04:59:31 PM »
...and quit again around 3:12 PM.

This is presumably with no computers running and nothing else going on at the ranch.

Offline wmcatty

• Forecaster
    • Heart of Texas Weather
« Reply #135 on: September 19, 2011, 08:29:37 PM »
You are right Dalecoy.  I flew out this morning and nothing has been turned on at the house except the console, as my wife was with her family last night and all day today.  I just got back to my motel and checked Weatherlink and WU, and both are now "on hold" awaiting data.  If it repeats the flow like it did yesterday, I should be transmitting again by midnight.  The data "outages" seem to average about 10 hours each. The new console should be here Friday or Saturday, as it was to be shipped from the Davis warehouse in California today.  As far as equipment being on, I think I turned off my pc last night around 7:00 PM and no other devices have been accessing the WiFi signal/router since that time (other than the console).  My wife is not home yet, so the only thing connected to the router right now is the console itself.  I left the house very early this morning and did not fire up the pc before I left, so the console has had the WiFi signal all to its lonesome.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 08:41:40 PM by wmcatty »

Offline Flag

• Forecaster
« Reply #136 on: September 19, 2011, 08:40:37 PM »
WiFi signal? Now just to confirm this router is cabled (as I understand it) and WiFi capable? WLIP is cabled to the router?

If so the console has nothing to do with the WiFi signal or am I missing something? 

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #137 on: September 19, 2011, 08:40:45 PM »
Thanks for the confirmation.

This is interesting because it is very unusual to have a situation (test) where truly "nothing changed".  

[You did previously tell us that there are no loose pets in the house, didn't you?}

Offline wmcatty

• Forecaster
    • Heart of Texas Weather
« Reply #138 on: September 19, 2011, 08:50:29 PM »
I have a Westell A90 4-port router connected via telephone cable to the phone jack (DSL line).  The devices in my home all have a wireless card built into them (PC, Kindle, Ipad).  The Davis console is connected to the WLIP, which is connected to the router by ethernet cable (data port).  I do not have any small animals in the home or interference with heat sources, tv's, etc.  My pc connects wirelessly to the internet via my router...is this not WiFi?

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #139 on: September 19, 2011, 08:58:24 PM »
(Written at the same time as wmcatty.)

WiFi signal? Now just to confirm this router is cabled (as I understand it) and WiFi capable? WLIP is cabled to the router?

If so the console has nothing to do with the WiFi signal or am I missing something?  

Router is DSL and wireless-ethernet capable.  The only Ethernet cable to the router is from the WLIP.

Yes, you are missing something.  Re-read the entire thread to get the whole picture.

One possibility being investigated, is an intermittent connection between one pin in the console, and the WLIP connector.  The investigation "technique" is to change out the console.

That possibility was not extremely high on the probability list, but a tremendous lot of other things have been (apparently) eliminated.  It is, for instance, clear that - both before and after WLIP "outages" - a computer (wirelessly) connected to the router can freely and correctly access WeatherLink.com.  So, it's not "internet connectivity" nor likely to be DNS.

Yes, I'm aware of "give the WLIP a static address".  Assuming robust WLIP firmware, that should not be necessary, and should not fix the problem, and if changing out the console doesn't fix the problem, it's the next thing on my list to do anyway.  If it happens that fixes it, we have learned something and also know that there is some problem with WLIP firmware.  As you may recall, there was a previous problem with Verizon FIOS and WLIP compatibility that required a WLIP firmware update.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 09:00:09 PM by dalecoy »

Offline wmcatty

• Forecaster
    • Heart of Texas Weather
« Reply #140 on: September 19, 2011, 09:02:41 PM »
I just spoke with my wife.  She has been home for about 25 minutes and just turned on my pc.  Without connecting to the internet, she opened VWS and gave me an overview of the data. It was current.   She then opened weatherlink and downloaded the data...all was there and without any gaps.  This is exactly what has been happening from Day 1...I am getting the data to my pc software without interruption, but it is not uploading consistently to weatherlink.com (as evidenced by the current lack of data posted).  

Offline wmcatty

• Forecaster
    • Heart of Texas Weather
« Reply #141 on: September 19, 2011, 09:38:33 PM »
Thanks fellas...but Dalecoy, you are about to lose me in this tech analysis lingo.  Since this discussion has been going on for almost 3 weeks (and 6 pages of help) now, I just want to remind/update you all on what has been transpiring since I joined this select group and requested their assistance.  First, I am not a computer guru or software tech...just an old rancher spending some money to satisfy a long standing interest in the weather (much to the dismay of my bride these past 3 weeks).  I installed a Vantage Pro2 with solar sensor at my ranch about 3 weeks ago. I installed Weatherlink software and signed up at the weatherlink.com site.  I then signed up for WU and CWOP for station identification and registered both with Weatherlink.com at that time.  Immediately thereafter, I noticed my data was being posted with daily lapses of information.  I then asked for help in this forum and received countless recommendations in response.  I then called Davis and their take on this is: (1)  Bad WLIP...so they sent me a new one and nothing has changed since installing the new data logger, as the intermittant times are still apparent on WL, WU & CWOP.  I called Davis back last week after I noticed a small piece of plastic in the WLIP connector slot (in the console itself) that was prohibiting the WLIP from making a solid "seating'.  Davis is (2) sending me a new console and it should be here this week.  
At my home, I have a 4-port wireless Westell A90 router and the WLIP is connected to it via ethernet cable. The router is connected via telephone line to the DSL jack with filters.  I have called my ISP provider and they checked out the router remotely (and with my wife at my home pc talking on the phone with the tech), and reported "no problems".  I have also changed out the router, but that did not solve the data loss problem.  Connecting to the internet is not a problem for any wireless device I use, including pc's, tablets, and Kindles.  That is all I can tell you, as you all have made so many suggestions and I have tried to implement them all...but the problem continues. I just hope that the replacement console solves this delemna, as I (and my wife) are starting to think the equipment might be a pretty good option for sighting in our rifles.  Thanks again boys, you are the best at what you do.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 09:57:14 PM by wmcatty »

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #142 on: September 19, 2011, 10:05:33 PM »
Sorry about the jargon - it was intended for Flag.  Just consider it to be "geek talk" (like lawyer speak) - and was mostly about the "static address for the WLIP" interjection that Flag posted yesterday.  If it becomes necessary to explore that, I'll try to make sure you understand what's being discussed - because you will be integrally involved in actually doing it. 

That was an excellent summary of what we've looked at so far.  One omission - you are using two weather programs (WL and VWS), and we explored the possibility that they were causing the problem.  With both of them not used for hours, the upload to WeatherLink.com suddenly stopped.  Ruling out the software. 

One thing to emphasize, the WLIP has been replaced.

This is an interesting problem, and we'll eventually get it sorted out.

Offline wmcatty

• Forecaster
    • Heart of Texas Weather
« Reply #143 on: September 19, 2011, 10:19:35 PM »
Thanks Dalecoy, your help is definitely appreciated.  As far as the geek talk (like lawyer speak) relates to one another, I did not know the two were synonymous. On another note, I know that having WL and VWS open at the same times causes conflicts between the two programs.  But it seems that I cannot delete WL, as VWS requires it to be installed before the initial installation of VWS.  I never have the two programs open simultaneously, but since I rarely use WL, is it advisable to delete WL from my pc?  Or will VWS fail if I do so?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 10:32:44 PM by wmcatty »

Offline Flag

• Forecaster
« Reply #144 on: September 19, 2011, 10:45:13 PM »
Not up with VWS or requirements but No don't delete WL, leave it installed, just don't run it directly (as a Local Dvice ID) unless you need to make program changes etc.

To update WL database then probbaly best to download via the "Web Download" option in the setup>Communications Port 

Really gunna have to fix that WeatherLink IP address away from DHCP  :shock:

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #145 on: September 19, 2011, 10:47:52 PM »
Thanks Dalecoy, your help is definitely appreciated.  As far as the geek talk (like lawyer speak) relates to one another, I did not know the two were synonymous. On another note, I know that having WL and VWS open at the same times causes conflicts between the two programs.  But it seems that I cannot delete WL, as VWS requires it to be installed before the initial installation of VWS.  I never have the two programs open simultaneously, but since I rarely use WL, is it advisable to delete WL from my pc?  Or will VWS fail if I do so?

Not synonymous - two mutually-not-understandable dialects.  Like Flemish and Dutch.

And no, I wouldn't get rid of WeatherLink.  

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #146 on: September 19, 2011, 10:54:15 PM »

Do you have a logical, technical reason why that should be necessary?

As you recognized, it is a PITA (technical term) to remotely tell somebody how to do that.  It may be the subsequent step, but I am a firm believer in taking one step at a time, and the next step is replacing the console. 

Offline Flag

• Forecaster
« Reply #147 on: September 19, 2011, 10:58:56 PM »

Do you have a logical, technical reason why that should be necessary?

As you recognized, it is a PITA (technical term) to remotely tell somebody how to do that.  It may be the subsequent step, but I am a firm believer in taking one step at a time, and the next step is replacing the console. 

Gave WeatherLink DHCP away years ago due to similar sounding issues, simply have never had an issue with fixed IP since. That's not a very technical reason but when all else fails, then try what's left, and what is left at this point, not much hey?

And yes the biggest worry I have trying to tell someone how to fix the WLIP IP is making sure they can un-fix it if things go wrong as they could lock themselves out completely.   

Offline wmcatty

• Forecaster
    • Heart of Texas Weather
« Reply #148 on: September 19, 2011, 11:01:07 PM »
No problem...just trying to eliminate any possible obstacles.  I will sit at status-quo until the new console arrives.  PS:  I have read FLAG's post 5 times and still do not understand what you two are discussing.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 11:07:38 PM by wmcatty »

Offline xykotik

• DonkeyTailWX DW6891
  • Forecaster
    • DonkeyTail Weather
« Reply #149 on: September 20, 2011, 01:07:11 AM »
My head is swirling... 

This is probably unrelated, but gets me thinking about a somewhat similar symptom profile.  Although we are talking here about WL-IP, not conventional WL running on a PC and uploading from there, wmcatty's post at xx:38:33 (I don't know what time zone you have set) got me thinking about the WL5.9.2 issue of timeouts causing random software lockup in the middle of a CWOP upload, then 5.9.2a-beta fixing that, then 5.9.3 dropping chunks of uploads because certain CWOP servers (randomly assigned by the DNS it seemed) took too long and it timed out (but didn't freeze).  I personally went back to 5.9.2a-beta to get past that and have been there ever since.

Like I said, probably completely unrelated, but maybe it can stimulate some snoozing neurons.

anything