Author Topic: Mast question  (Read 6985 times)

Offline acrscotland

Re: Mast question
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2011, 09:43:25 AM »
I really like your installation and to be honest, if I start to experience too much movement then I'll take your approach - it looks really good!  I used 1-1/4" EMT electrical conduit and it's really sturdy and not too heavy.  I had researched galvanized water pipe but was worried about the weight, especially with the RS mount.  I had read reviews on the RS mount and people with large TV antennas had no trouble with it so I'm hopeful! 

One thing I really need to do is get up on the main roof and make sure the mast is plumb.  I did my best from beneath it but it was bloody cold and I gave up after a while.  It'll be easier from the very top of the roof as I can stand right next to the setup - this weekend looks like it'll be really nice weather for it  :grin:

Offline mcneese832000

• Contributor
    • Gumbeaux Weather
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2011, 09:36:48 PM »
I used a J-Mount for a satellite dish. In the top, I placed a metal pole and mounted the Vue on top of that. It has worked GREAT!
Davis Vantage Vue w/ Weatherlink IP

http://www.weatherlink.com/user/gumbeaux

Offline LFWX

• Forecaster
  • Liberty Township, Butler County, Ohio
    • Liberty Fairfield Weather Center
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2011, 02:17:21 AM »
Just a word of advice to anyone who may run across this thread in the future - DO NOT buy the gold colored mast (about 4 feet long) they sell at Lowes, I purchased one for my relocated rain gauge and within a few months it was a rusted mess.

I replaced it with a section of mast from Radio Shack, something I've used for years with NO PROBLEMS.

PS - When I purchased the R.S. mast, the nearest store was out of stock and the second nearest store was selling it very cheap because it was on clearance, I wonder if I should by some extra to have later.
Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Fan Aspirated
Software: Virtual Weather Station V14.00p64
www.LFWeatherCenter.com
CWOP: DW1039
CoCoRaHS: OH-BT-1
Weather Underground: KOHHAMIL7
Weather For You: DW1039
Midwestern Weather Network

Offline JACK10562

• Forecaster
  • DW5051
    • DW5051 East Harwich MA
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2011, 10:24:08 AM »
The National Electric Code requires metal mast grounding. (NFPA70)
It goes on to identify where the ground rod should be installed, conductor size, and where it needs to be bonded to the home electrical ground system.

If lightning does hit your ungrounded mast, chances are good that your house itself will suffer some pretty significant (bad) damage. Give it a path to ground and you improve your results.

I wouldn't want to present a damage claim to my homeowner's insurance involving a code non-compliance event.
CWOP:DW5051
MADIS ID:D5051
WU:KMAEASTH4
CoCoRaHS:MA-BA-23
DavisVantagePro2Plus#6163
Cumulus 1.9.4(1097)←☼

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2011, 10:43:45 AM »
The National Electric Code requires metal mast grounding. (NFPA70)
I wouldn't want to present a damage claim to my homeowner's insurance involving a code non-compliance event.

The NEC would apply only if the local jurisdiction says so.  And some local jurisdictions actually add (or subtract) requirements.  For simple example, Chicago's requirement for conduit everywhere.

And whether your homeowner's insurance would balk at paying is a question of how the policy is written.  Most policies don't explicitly require code compliance.

If lightning does hit your ungrounded mast, chances are good that your house itself will suffer some pretty significant (bad) damage. Give it a path to ground and you improve your results.

Some experts argue that, in some types of events and surrounding environments, grounding the mast significantly increases the probability that lightning will hit it.  ["Lightning Rod"].  There are lots of experts with differing expert opinions, and research/evidence to back them up.

Many local jurisdictions have deliberately decided to remain silent about this issue, in their local code.  Their legitimate fear is that if someone is "code compliant" and gets damage from a lightning strike, the jurisdiction might be sued because they "required" something.

Offline acrscotland

« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2011, 02:34:01 PM »
I went back out today to make some adjustments to my Vue (wanted to ensure it was level and pointing south).  As also removed the ground wire that I had previously installed because it was grounded to the wrong point.  I wasn't sure if we had an existing ground rod but since the previous owners had upgraded to 200A I figured there must be as I know the code requires it now (originally ground was provided at the power line pole).  Anyway, careful inspection revealed the ground rod and it's virtually directly below the mast.  This will be extremely easy to install so I'm going to do it tomorrow, I think....

anything