Author Topic: Not impressed with new Davis anemometer  (Read 845 times)

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
Not impressed with new Davis anemometer
« on: September 14, 2019, 06:40:26 AM »
Received a new unit from Scaled instruments. When you install the cups it no longer drops slightly like the older units always did. It still tells you in the directions it will but doesn't.

The setscrew material used now is very soft so don't tighten hard as the instructions say, because it will easily round out.
The starting threshold is much higher around 2 mph compared to less than 1 mph on the older units. So expect a lot of 0 mph readings during calm periods.
I compared the 2 units side by side for this assessment and what is clearly a defect IMO.

Here are the printed instructions:

3. Use the Allen wrench provided to tighten the set screw on the side of the wind
cups.
4. The wind cups should drop slightly when you let go.
5. Ensure that the set screw is screwed in fully and very tight. Failure to do so
will cause the anemometer to function improperly
Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: Not impressed with new Davis anemometer
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2019, 03:53:44 PM »
The starting threshold is much higher around 2 mph compared to less than 1 mph on the older units.
I got a completely different result when I replaced my speed cartridge earlier this year. The cups easily spin and register 1mph all day long (and would probably register less if the console and/or WL was capable), I don't recall my old anny as being as sensitive. You must have gotten a bum unit, I'd send it back.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2019, 04:46:30 PM »
I got a completely different result when I replaced my speed cartridge earlier this year. The cups easily spin and register 1mph all day long

That's the typical experience, ie startup speed on the revised anemometer is significantly lower than the older models - presumably there's less friction in the bearing.

Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2019, 05:16:36 PM »
Like I said there is a day and night difference between the old unit and what I received.
This unit doesn't act like any of the other Davis units I've assembled either.   After comparing the two and seeing how much easier the old unit responded to slightest breeze I took cups off and repositioned on the shaft looking for that familiar cup drop and the second time I did this the allen head stripped out.  ](*,)

Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2019, 05:55:56 PM »
Like I said there is a day and night difference between the old unit and what I received.

Send it back as it's obviously defective. Ryan has never denied me a return, don't see why he'd start now.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2019, 10:08:23 AM »
Went out to the station this morning and installed the older unit. (on bottom) painted white. Made a short video of what I'm talking about.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkJePQ2HGr0[/youtube]
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2019, 11:39:52 AM »

Send it back as it's obviously defective. Ryan has never denied me a return, don't see why he'd start now.

I wish it was obvious for me, I'm afraid I'll get the same unit again. Could be I'm getting some of the units people were complaining about prior.  The unit it's replacing has a setscrew instead of Phillips-head on the base and the cups turn effortlessly with the slightest breeze. I often wondered what people were complaining about. 
Randy

anything