Author Topic: Sensor For Texas Weather Instruments Needed  (Read 772 times)

Offline fsufan1200

Sensor For Texas Weather Instruments Needed
« on: December 19, 2020, 09:35:42 AM »
Good Morning To All !!

I've read several posts related to Texas Weather Instruments no longer being in business.  A bummer to us who currently still use their products.

I currently have the NWS-Solar Powered model and am in need of a new temperature/humidity sensor.  It's not reporting information correctly.

Does anyone have any idea where, and if possible I could purchase a replacement one or one to its equivalent that would work with my current model.

any information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Mattb
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 09:42:33 AM by fsufan1200 »
Davis Vantage Pro-2 Plus Wireless
WiFiLogger2 2.34
Weather Flow / Tempest

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
Re: Sensor For Texas Weather Instruments Needed
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2020, 01:02:36 PM »
Your model is significantly newer than many of us here who are also devoted to the TWI stuff.

However, the age of the sensors is a problem, and none being made, plus most stations seem to be taken down by survivors after the house is to be sold, and they are abandoned, with many more stations than sensors.

On the older models there are known replacement sensors (board level) for the temperature diode, and one or two reports of the correct Honeywell humidity device, with if I recall correctly one user saying he has replaced his at least a couple times.

Some day we may have a board layout or a point to point wiring diagram (I'm partially to blame for not doing it with all the other things on my plate) to try to make your own. Whether TWI used the same circuitry in the one you have is unknown.

Send pictures of the item you need to replace.

PS, I look on eBay every now and then with zero success for sensors.  A few display-less boxes,  but no sensors.
Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline fsufan1200

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2020, 05:50:22 PM »
Dale thank you for the reply !!!

I think I could get a replacement one if I only knew what voltage it runs off.

I'd be willing to buy a few different ones, and give them a try.

The Temp/Humidity sensor just plugs into the mainboard in a RJ-45 receptacle.

I've got the station up and running, just my Dew Point, and Humidity is reporting way crazy numbers.  Actually, I think the temperature sensor is reading and reporting correctly.

Mattb

Davis Vantage Pro-2 Plus Wireless
WiFiLogger2 2.34
Weather Flow / Tempest

Offline TNWeatherGuy

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2020, 02:35:58 PM »
Hi Dale, Rick here ... you and I exchanged forum messages a few years back.  Believe it or not, I'm still in the market for that Temp/Humidity board layout.  So far, my sensors are working just fine, but as you know, its just a matter of time.

Offline Kev

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2021, 04:28:38 PM »
Dale and I are at some point going to have a board schematic available, neither of us has had the time necessary to spend on examining our boards. They are coated heavily with RTV silicone sealant , which takes some patience and extreme care to remove to avoid damaging the components.

If you only need the sensors, and not the entire board here they are:

Temperature (Inside/outside, both the same)
Analog Devices 592ANZ
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/analog-devices-inc/AD592ANZ/750960

Humidity
Honeywell HIH-4000-004
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/honeywell-sensing-and-productivity-solutions/HIH-4000-004/1785833
Heath ID-5001-C Advanced Weather Computer (1990)
Texas Weather Instruments WR-25 (1998)