Author Topic: Davis Pro2 data reporting question  (Read 35623 times)

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
Re: Davis Pro2 data reporting question
« Reply #175 on: September 25, 2011, 09:56:52 AM »
I don't think this has been covered (long thread!). I too have Centurylink DSL. Had some problems a while back. Tech came out 3 times. Wanted to know if any phones in house did not have DSL filter on line? No. Well, can't figure it out, will run unfiltered line to modem and put a block filter on incoming line to rest of house. Did and problem cleared up. Later remembered Direct TV had installed new HDDVR Receiver and of course, hooked up the phone line with no filter. Probably was the problem.

Other than that, I think I would ask Century link for a new MODEM only (not a gateway). Then add your own router. That way, they must get a "good" signal into your home.

FWIW
George

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #176 on: September 25, 2011, 10:37:25 AM »
I don't think this has been covered (long thread!). I too have Centurylink DSL. Had some problems a while back. Tech came out 3 times. Wanted to know if any phones in house did not have DSL filter on line? No. Well, can't figure it out, will run unfiltered line to modem and put a block filter on incoming line to rest of house. Did and problem cleared up. Later remembered Direct TV had installed new HDDVR Receiver and of course, hooked up the phone line with no filter. Probably was the problem.

Other than that, I think I would ask Century link for a new MODEM only (not a gateway). Then add your own router. That way, they must get a "good" signal into your home.

FWIW
George

George, that's an excellent question.  Wmcatty?

I have gone through the A90 manual (and consulted a couple of other folks, too), and can't find a clear and obvious way to get the router to assign the WLIP a static IP address based on MAC address - without messing up some other stuff and possibly bricking the router.

Request: I would appreciate it if someone who has actual experience setting a WLIP to a static address, would volunteer to lead Wmcatty through that procedure.

I'll (first) try to get Wmcatty through the more-complex procedure of checking a few settings and things on the router (without changing them) and determining what IP address to set the WLIP to, but I don't feel comfortable telling him how to actually do the WLIP part (I haven't ever done it myself).

All of that assumes that Wmcatty is willing, and can find the time, to try this stuff.

Offline wmcatty

• Forecaster
    • Heart of Texas Weather
« Reply #177 on: September 25, 2011, 12:53:21 PM »
I will try anything today.  After removing the modem yesterday and trying another one, I reinstalled the Westell.  Now, my weatherlink software is telling me that there is a communication port problem and cannot locate the WLIP.  And tech support at Centurylink is useless.  Right now I am heading out to buy a router and will install it and report back. 
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 01:01:08 PM by wmcatty »
Davis Wireless Pro2 with Solar Sensor; Weatherlink 5.9.3; VWS; WLIP; CWOP DW8373; Wunderground KTXGATES4; CoCoRaHS=TX-CRL-4

Offline JACK10562

• Forecaster
  • DW5051
    • DW5051 East Harwich MA
« Reply #178 on: September 25, 2011, 01:08:52 PM »
Give this a shot: Shut everything down, close WeatherLink, disconnect the Ethernet cable, unplug the weather station console and remove the batteries. Next power-cycle the gateway/modem/router to "clear" the DHCP assignment tables. Reconnect the Ethernet cable and power-up the weather station.
Hopefully now the WL software will "see" the console.

Installing a "second" router to a modem/gateway that is issuing LAN IP addresses can cause more problems than it can cure.

If you currently have strictly a pure modem (bridge) then doing so will be fine, otherwise you  may have to disable the existing gateway's DHCP server, or do the same for the new router.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 01:37:20 PM by JACK10562 »
CWOP:DW5051
MADIS ID:D5051
WU:KMAEASTH4
CoCoRaHS:MA-BA-23
DavisVantagePro2Plus#6163
Cumulus 1.9.4(1097)←☼

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #179 on: September 25, 2011, 02:15:59 PM »
I will try anything today.  After removing the modem yesterday and trying another one, I reinstalled the Westell.  

Please elaborate on exactly how you "reinstalled the Westell".  

If it is possible, I'd like you to do the following.  If there is a problem/question at any point, just stop and ask for advice.  None of this changes anything on your router.

In your browser, type the router's address:  http://192.168.1.1 and press Enter.

You should see a panel to log in to the router.  Try the following for "User" and "Password".  

User: admin Password: password <<< This is probably the default.
admin admin
admin (blank)
(blank) admin

If you can't get logged in, it might not be advisable to try adding another router - unless you got one that is a combination DSL modem/router and you're intending to get rid of the A90.

Assuming you get logged in:

On the "Home" panel:

1.  Highlight the Security tab and select Security Level, and write down the security level.

2.  Highlight the Security tab and select Security Log, and see if there is anything interesting.

3.  Highlight the Advanced tab, select LAN and then the DHCP pulldown.  Write down all of the information on that panel.

4. Highlight the Advanced tab, select Diagnostics, then the System Status Tables, then LAN Devices.  Write down all of the information on that panel.  Hopefully, you will be able to tell which one is the WLIP.  Be very careful to get the "MAC Address" recorded correctly.

Now you can log out, and post information on what you saw.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 02:19:09 PM by dalecoy »

Offline wmcatty

• Forecaster
    • Heart of Texas Weather
« Reply #180 on: September 25, 2011, 08:11:16 PM »
I just purchased and installed a Netgear Broadband ADSL2+ Modem and a Linksys E2500 Dual Band N-Router.  I had a great deal of difficulty getting the modem installed while speaking with Netgears tech support in India, but was finally able to get all the specs programmed and got a DSL signal.  The router was much easier to install and I have the Davis console wired to it via ethernet cable.  All data seems to be flowing to WL as it should.  The Westell is in the trash can. I understand that it is possible to program the router to designate a single port for data transmission alone.  Is this something you could walk me through Dalecoy?  Sorry not to have responded to your last post, but I just got things back up and running a few minutes ago after doing exactly what you recommended to get the new modem installed.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 09:01:38 PM by wmcatty »
Davis Wireless Pro2 with Solar Sensor; Weatherlink 5.9.3; VWS; WLIP; CWOP DW8373; Wunderground KTXGATES4; CoCoRaHS=TX-CRL-4

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #181 on: September 25, 2011, 10:15:08 PM »
I just purchased and installed a Netgear Broadband ADSL2+ Modem and a Linksys E2500 Dual Band N-Router.  I had a great deal of difficulty getting the modem installed while speaking with Netgears tech support in India, but was finally able to get all the specs programmed and got a DSL signal.  The router was much easier to install and I have the Davis console wired to it via ethernet cable.  All data seems to be flowing to WL as it should.  The Westell is in the trash can. I understand that it is possible to program the router to designate a single port for data transmission alone.  Is this something you could walk me through Dalecoy? ...

OK, but who are you, and what have you done with the guy who said:

By the way Dalecoy, I am a skilled lawyer with semiskilled nagging urges...no technical issues with me.  Better at working my horses, cows, building fine-furniture pieces, rebuilding engines and tractors, and turning on the PC in the morning.  If technical devices do not work correctly, call the techs out.  For me, software and hardware difficulties are better serviced by someone that has the knowledge and experience...I do not make my claim to fame in this arena.

I am seriously impressed.  And I think the thing to do now is to just watch for a couple of days, to verify that you have fixed your problem.  I'm fairly confident that you got it.

Offline wmcatty

• Forecaster
    • Heart of Texas Weather
« Reply #182 on: September 25, 2011, 10:37:36 PM »
I hope the problem is getting close to being over.  After 4 weeks of this, I do not think my patience could have been tested much longer.  This little problem has forced me to learn things I never had previously wanted to know about, much less implement.  The guy that previously knew nothing about the tech stuff is still around, but a little more savy and appreciative of those that have a command of the tech analysis.   Now that virtually everything wireless in my home has been replaced within the past two weeks, the problem will hopefully not rear its ugly head again.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 10:45:42 PM by wmcatty »

Offline Flag

• Forecaster
« Reply #183 on: September 26, 2011, 04:14:24 AM »
I can feel a static IP coming on  :shock:

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
« Reply #184 on: September 26, 2011, 05:04:41 AM »
4am local time and its still updating
looks like a winner, whew!
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline JACK10562

• Forecaster
  • DW5051
    • DW5051 East Harwich MA
« Reply #185 on: September 26, 2011, 07:21:19 AM »
I can feel a static IP coming on  :shock:

For things such as this it makes absolute sense to take it off DHCP, why leave it up to a piece of hardware to negotiate IP address lease renewals for something permanently connected?

Set it and forget it, or, more realistically for quite a few of us: if it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is!

@ the OP, I hope this does the trick!
Cumulus 1.9.4(1097)←☼

Offline wmcatty

• Forecaster
    • Heart of Texas Weather
« Reply #186 on: September 26, 2011, 08:22:02 AM »
8:10 AM now and 14 hours of data have flowed without interruption.  I am not positive, but I think that is close to a record.  Thanks to all for the words of encouragement!
On another note, yesterday was 106 degrees here in God's Country...the 88th day of 100+ temps within the last 4 months...and only 0.03 inches of rain since April.  You gotta love it.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 09:39:35 AM by wmcatty »

Offline JACK10562

• Forecaster
  • DW5051
    • DW5051 East Harwich MA
« Reply #187 on: September 26, 2011, 10:45:20 AM »
Just a thought, while throwing away the old Westell might feel good, maybe not be the best idea, perhaps sometime in the future Centurylink might want it back.
Cumulus 1.9.4(1097)←☼

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #188 on: September 26, 2011, 10:59:07 AM »
Just a thought, while throwing away the old Westell might feel good, maybe not be the best idea, perhaps sometime in the future Centurylink might want it back.

Yes.  Wmcatty, I suggest that you determine whether you initially purchased the modem/router from Centurylink, or whether you were paying a monthly rental, or what.  That is, of course, a legal question.   :grin:

Offline wmcatty

• Forecaster
    • Heart of Texas Weather
« Reply #189 on: September 26, 2011, 01:47:30 PM »
You are both right.  I called Centurylink and although there is no lease or monthly payment for their equipment, they would like to have it back. I will dig it out of the trash and return it to them as such.  Good Call.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #190 on: September 26, 2011, 01:53:12 PM »
You are both right.  I called Centurylink and although there is no lease or monthly payment for their equipment, they would like to have it back. I will dig it out of the trash and return it to them as such.  Good Call.

Perhaps, in kindness to some other customer, you might want to permanently write "Does not work correctly" on it.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #191 on: September 26, 2011, 08:45:42 PM »
Over 24 hours of data.

Offline wmcatty

• Forecaster
    • Heart of Texas Weather
« Reply #192 on: September 26, 2011, 09:34:29 PM »
26 continuous hours now.  That is a record, but I will continue to monitor the data flow for a couple of more days before declaring victory.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #193 on: September 27, 2011, 10:30:56 PM »
Over 50 hours.

Offline wmcatty

• Forecaster
    • Heart of Texas Weather
« Reply #194 on: September 28, 2011, 06:08:31 PM »
Three full days of data have now flowed without the usual 8-12 hours of daily interruption.  A great big thanks to all of you that have made this possible through your constant monitoring, analysis, comments and recommendations.  Now it is time to close this particular posting and hope that it helps the next guy with similar difficulties. I have to admit that I was forced to learn things that I never, ever, expected to delve into and implement on my own...primarily due to a fear of the unknown I think.  But you boys make it seem so damned simple I had to give it a try, and I am glad I did.  Best wishes from Central Texas, where it is only 101 degrees at the end of Sept...just 3 days before deer hunting season starts!    :grin:
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 06:10:14 PM by wmcatty »

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #195 on: September 28, 2011, 06:47:32 PM »
Three full days of data have now flowed without the usual 8-12 hours of daily interruption.  A great big thanks to all of you that have made this possible through your constant monitoring, analysis, comments and recommendations.  Now it is time to close this particular posting and hope that it helps the next guy with similar difficulties. I have to admit that I was forced to learn things that I never, ever, expected to delve into and implement on my own...primarily due to a fear of the unknown I think.  But you boys make it seem so damned simple I had to give it a try, and I am glad I did.  Best wishes from Central Texas, where it is only 101 degrees at the end of Sept...just 3 days before deer hunting season starts!    :grin:

Your problem might only affect one out of a hundred or one out of a thousand.  But, it seems to me that anyone thinking about getting the IP logger should read this thread before deciding.   :-k

Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline wmcatty

• Forecaster
    • Heart of Texas Weather
« Reply #196 on: September 28, 2011, 08:53:25 PM »
Greg:  Let us both hope that another forum member does not have to go through 27 days of pure hell as far as data is concerned...but if anyone has a similar problem, then this is the place to be and the problem resolved.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #197 on: September 28, 2011, 10:59:08 PM »
Greg:  Let us both hope that another forum member does not have to go through 27 days of pure hell as far as data is concerned...but if anyone has a similar problem, then this is the place to be and the problem resolved.

I whole heartedly agree.  I hope you're data streram continues uninterrupted.  :)
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline wmcatty

• Forecaster
    • Heart of Texas Weather
« Reply #198 on: September 28, 2011, 11:20:46 PM »
Thanks so much for all the help.  My wife has been at home the past two weeks by her lonesome for the most part and it is nice to be able to get home and monitor the information without having heart palpitations.  My ranch hands have been on heightened-alert for bandios and cattle rustlers while I have been traveling the past couple of weeks and are getting the needed rest they deserve as well.  I am looking forward to seeing the fruits of my labor actually getting uploaded without any daily interruptions and looking forward to seeing my daily data posted as well.  Wishing you and the others well from Central Texas,

Offline JACK10562

• Forecaster
  • DW5051
    • DW5051 East Harwich MA
« Reply #199 on: September 28, 2011, 11:35:08 PM »
Bottom line, it was crappy telco supplied DSL hardware, and nothing to do with Davis,  after all.
Cumulus 1.9.4(1097)←☼