Author Topic: Weird Dew Points  (Read 1244 times)

Offline WestTx

Weird Dew Points
« on: October 17, 2019, 11:37:45 AM »
Since I switched to the WifiLogger I'm occasionally seeing dew points of -1 in my Weather Underground page.

see the graph here https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXODESS12/graph/2019-10-16/2019-10-16/daily  (WU link)
(The summary also reflects -1 as the day's low dew point.)

This appears to have started only when I started using the WifiLogger.
Note that the -1 dew point seems to always be at the top of the hour or half-hour.
In the WFL setup, the update is 5 minutes (int: 5 seconds), RapidFire: Disabled

The -1 dew point does not appear in my Weatherlink app data.  Maybe there's something on the WU end that is causing this but, as I said, it has only started since I began using the WifiLogger in about August.

Has anyone else see this?  Or have an explanation?

Thanks
Vantage Vue
WiFiLogger

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Weird Dew Points
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 01:26:37 PM »
Check that nothing else is also uploading to WU. That includes your old Weatherlink.com device for your old WeatherlinkIP logger. Make sure that Cumulus etc is also not uploading to WU. Make sure that only the WFL is uploading to WU.

If you aren't certain that you may have missed something that may still be uploading to WU then temporarily disable the WFL from uploading to WU (disabled in its configuration for WU but keep it plugged in and running). Then sit and watch your WU account for an hour and see if anything got uploaded.  If you do see data that something else is uploading to WU then let it go longer and eventually within hours I think WU will show you the type of software that is uploading by clicking on the information "i" in the black circle at the end of your station name.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 01:30:15 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline WestTx

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 06:59:28 PM »
After going through your helpful suggestions I’m still at a loss for the reason for the anomaly.

If no one else is seeing the strange points I’ll just keep trying to figure it out. It’s not a big deal since my archived data is not affected but I’m still curious as to what’s happening.

Thanks
Vantage Vue
WiFiLogger

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2019, 04:51:21 AM »
After going through your helpful suggestions I’m still at a loss for the reason for the anomaly.
If no one else is seeing the strange points I’ll just keep trying to figure it out. It’s not a big deal since my archived data is not affected but I’m still curious as to what’s happening.
Thanks

I will check what is wrong little later, but problem is not with temp and hum, but with wind gust.
I will repair that, but I need some research why it happen.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2019, 08:00:05 AM »
I noticed that these strange pressure occurrences only seem to happen during daylight hours.

I also noticed you are only uploading to WU every 5 minutes. Maybe that is part of the problem. Is there a reason you don't have WU set for rapidfire uploads? I think uploading every 5 or 10 seconds is good. If you change the upload interval then maybe the problem goes away.
Tele-Pole

Offline WestTx

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2019, 10:45:27 AM »
I will check what is wrong little later, but problem is not with temp and hum, but with wind gust.
I will repair that, but I need some research why it happen.

I hadn't even noticed the corresponding wind gust data.  Nice job.

Thanks
Vantage Vue
WiFiLogger

Offline WestTx

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2019, 10:50:59 AM »
I noticed that these strange pressure occurrences only seem to happen during daylight hours.

I also noticed you are only uploading to WU every 5 minutes. Maybe that is part of the problem. Is there a reason you don't have WU set for rapidfire uploads? I think uploading every 5 or 10 seconds is good. If you change the upload interval then maybe the problem goes away.

I was thinking rapidfire uploads were just unnecessary traffic (even though we're talking about a very small amount).  But, I have changed to rapidfire every 10 seconds just to see if the wind gust anomaly persists in that setting.  After the problem is resolved I may or may not leave it that way.

Thanks for your help.

Vantage Vue
WiFiLogger

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2019, 11:47:52 AM »
I think rapidfire uploads is one of the biggest appeals for Weather Underground. There isn't another service that has this feature. The only other way to get "live" data is to run your own website. I wouldn't say that it is unnecessary traffic.  You get to see live data at any time remotely. And it amounts like you said to negligible bandwidth. I've looked at my rapidfire upload (every 16 seconds) and it amounted to 9 MB/day. I doubt that it affects even those with limited bandwidth. I think that there may have been a time when this was significant data (for those on cellular Internet) but I can't imagine anyone still on an antiquated data plan that was so restrictive. I say leave it on rapidfire. Even if you don't need it, maybe a neighbor of yours will appreciate it.

Tele-Pole

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2019, 01:52:13 PM »

Thanks

In my opinion this is WiFiLogger problem.
Please let me know firmware version.
Please go to SETUP| Network info and check if last boot is not the same like dew point spike on WU.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2019, 02:10:16 PM »
Seems like firmware version 2.24 as reported on WU.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Tele-Pole

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2019, 02:13:08 PM »
Yes. I have seen that after my post.

Please update WFL to version 2.25.

Offline WestTx

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2019, 05:22:00 PM »

I have updated to 2.25.  I appreciate the help from both of you.

Thanks
Vantage Vue
WiFiLogger

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2019, 03:24:11 PM »

I have updated to 2.25.  I appreciate the help from both of you.

Thanks

Yours charts looks much better now. :)

Offline WestTx

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2019, 03:58:48 PM »
 [tup] indeed! 

And the update process was surprisingly easy. Nice job!

Vantage Vue
WiFiLogger

Offline jcookjr82

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2019, 04:37:20 PM »
Checking in here to say I have had the same problem with the -1 dew point reading for the majority of this year. Does 2.25 firmware fix this?
Davis Vantage Vue (Brentwood, CA KCABRENT8 and Arnold, CA KCAARNOL99)
Davis Vantage Pro2 (Lakehead, CA KCALAKEH52)
LaCrosse 2813 (retired 1/17/2018)

Offline jcookjr82

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2019, 04:39:17 PM »

The -1 dew point does not appear in my Weatherlink app data.  Maybe there's something on the WU end that is causing this but, as I said, it has only started since I began using the WifiLogger in about August.

Has anyone else see this?  Or have an explanation?

Thanks

The -1 shows up for me on WU and PWS Weather. Does not show up on WL or MesoWest.
Davis Vantage Vue (Brentwood, CA KCABRENT8 and Arnold, CA KCAARNOL99)
Davis Vantage Pro2 (Lakehead, CA KCALAKEH52)
LaCrosse 2813 (retired 1/17/2018)

Offline WestTx

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2019, 05:56:34 PM »
Checking in here to say I have had the same problem with the -1 dew point reading for the majority of this year. Does 2.25 firmware fix this?

Since updating to 2.25 and changing my WU upload to Rapid Fire I still occasionally see the -1 dew point in the WU daily high/low summary but I have not seen -1 dew point in the charts or tables.

Vantage Vue
WiFiLogger

anything