Author Topic: questions about moving from VWS to weatherlink  (Read 576 times)

Offline marklyn

questions about moving from VWS to weatherlink
« on: March 03, 2024, 10:53:21 PM »
I'm going to give up my VWS and moving to a paid subscription of weatherlink Pro.
My VWS is running on a dedicated PC and has been collecting data for 15+ years and uploading to weather underground.
I also have a Vantage Pro 2 console connected to the dedicated "weather" computer via USB/serial and I have a weatherlink console which receives data from the VP2 console.
I have about 15 years of data stored locally on the computer from VWS and also have been uploading data to weather underground.
Questions.
Can I install weatherlink on the same PC to get it up and running while VWS is still running?
Will I be able to save weather data locally through weatherlink or does everything have to be uploaded to their cloud servers?
Most importantly and assuming this can be done, are there any tutorials or websites that show how to export/import your VWS data to weatherlink?
Or, can someone outline some basic steps on this?

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
Re: questions about moving from VWS to weatherlink
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2024, 11:39:10 PM »
So what is the relationship (comms wise / re-transmit etc) between the "Weatherlink console" (Davis Part# ?) and the VP2 Console? Assume VP2 Console is a #6312?

In regard the specific questions and without too much expanded explanation (for now)

- Can I install weatherlink on the same PC to get it up and running while VWS is still running? YES should be able to from the VP2 Console USB/serial logger only.
- Will I be able to save weather data locally through weatherlink. WeatherLinkPC YES
or does everything have to be uploaded to their cloud servers? It can be uploaded then downloaded back to WeatherLinkPC
- Most importantly and assuming this can be done, are there any tutorials or websites that show how to export/import your VWS data to weatherlink? No real background on that one but would say to WeatherLink.com (cloud) NO, there maybe (just maybe) some means to convert or import locally?? Others may know more about this one? 

Offline marklyn

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2024, 11:43:15 PM »
The vantage pro console is a #6312
The weatherlink console is a # 6313

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2024, 05:26:00 AM »
The 6313 console will do its own thing and can upload to weatherlink.com quite independently of what that 6312 legacy console is doing. So the easiest thing is probably to think of the 6312 console/logger as providing local data while the 6313 console services the cloud data. And the 2 consoles will run independently of each other.

You can install Weatherlink for Windows software at the same time as VWS is installed. But you cannot run Weatherlink and VWS at the same time. The USB logger can only talk to one program at a time and its data cannot be shared between 2 programs. (Well, at least not without using the discontinued Virtual VP software, but that's a different can of worms.)

As Mattk says, AFAIK there is no well-known tool for converting VWS files to Weatherlink format. But conceivably there is something out on the web, though I cannot quickly see anything promising on a Google search.

Purely as an aside, I wonder how far you could get by asking chatGPT (though Gemini or Perplexity might be more suitable) to write some code for doing the conversion? I am sure that it wouldn't do the whole thing, but maybe it could provide a suitable starting point for further development, especially if asked in a RAG configuration, providing the data formats in the context.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2024, 05:35:24 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline marklyn

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2024, 08:57:24 AM »
Thanks for the info.  I thought it was going to be easy exporting VWS data to weatherlink, I guess I'll have to come up with a plan.
A couple more questions.
Does the 6313 get it's data from the 6312?
Once the weatherlink software is running in place of VWS, can I pull various data, meaning is the data stored locally and readable for me to use?

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2024, 09:31:21 AM »
Does the 6313 get it's data from the 6312?

No, typically the 6313 console gets its data direct from the transmitter(s), just like the 6312 does. Like I say, the two consoles run quite independently of each other. (I say typically because it is possible to set up a configuration where the 6312 console can be set to repeat its outside data on a different channel and the 6313 console could receive that retransmitted data. This sort of configuration is not usually necessary, but might be used if for example the 6313 console was located somewhere with a very weak direct signal from the sensor transmitters, but the 6312 console was closer and could therefore effectively act as a repeater.)

Once the weatherlink software is running in place of VWS, can I pull various data, meaning is the data stored locally and readable for me to use?

Don't get confused between Weatherlink.com (the Davis cloud platform) and Weatherlink for Windows (the local Windows software). The two things are quite different and separate. From your original post it sounded like you were planning to run Weatherlink for Windows on the PC previously used for VWS? In that case, this WLFW software will certainly provide extensive local data, Then the 6313 console will be able to upload to the weatherlink.com cloud service and the 6313 data will be visible there.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2024, 09:36:25 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline marklyn

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2024, 10:19:21 AM »
Ok, I think I either misunderstood what I read (somewhere) or, well I'm not sure...
First, regarding the WLFW install, good to know I can hopefully parse the data I want and collect for my own purposes... that is one of my goals in replacing VWS.
Now, for the two consoles.  I thought I remembered setting up my VP2 to retransmit, but I just checked and I don't, so, now your comment about both consoles being independent of each other makes sense (thanks).
But that makes me question why there are two barometer readings (one on the VP2 console and the other on the weatherlink console).  What is shown on the weatherlink console appears to be updated to weatherlink.com
The barometer reading from weatherunderground is slightly different because it is updating from the VP2, connected to the weather computer/VWS and I have that set to upload to weather underground (until I replace the software with weatherlink).
Lastly, referencing the attached screen shot.  When I set up the new station (North Austin Quail Hollow...), This was clearly the new 6313 since I recall naming that in the last couple of months when I set it up.  What I labeled as LC Vantage Pro2 must really be incorrectly named and probably should be named "ISS"?  I'm asking because I'm trying to understand why there is a separation of the two sets of data in the two as shown in the screen capture.
If you read this far, thanks.  I didn't find anything that clearly explains this relationship in the documentation for both consoles and in Weatherlink.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2024, 10:26:23 AM »
The pressure sensor is inside each console and not on the ISS (as is inside temp/hum of course). So each console will generate its own pressure reading.

Not sure why you would want to have the 6312 console upload to weatherlink.com - it would be uploading identical data (other than pressure and inside T/H) to the 6313 console. Just having one station (eg the 6313) upload is fine.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline marklyn

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2024, 10:33:48 AM »
No, the 6312 is uploading to weatherunderground via the dedicated computer it's connected to and VWS.  (I have VSW uploading every 5 mins to weather underground)
The 6313 (weatherlink) console is uploading to weatherlink.com

Once I switch over from VWS and start using the weatherlink software install instead, I am assuming that I will be able to set that install up to continue to transmit to weather underground while the 6313 console continues to upload to weatherlink.com thus having two different recipients of my weather data.
Does that sound correct?
Or, can the weatherlink (6313) send to both weather underground and weatherlink.com and I just use the weatherlink software install to primarily just save data to the pc that I use/parse as I want to?

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2024, 11:44:56 AM »
Not sure that you can use Weatherlink for Windows to upload to WU these days. Certainly WLfW doesn't seem to be on the WU list of compatible upload software.

But you CAN forward data from weatherlink.com to WU every 15 minutes (free plan) or every 5 minutes (Pro plan).
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline marklyn

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2024, 12:37:10 PM »
Thanks again.
I think you're right about not having the ability to upload to weather underground from the weatherlink software install on the pc.
I guess the only benefit to replacing VWS with the weatherlink install is:
1) VWS is outdated, not supported and pieces of it are breaking with no fix.
2) I can at least put together similar reports from the raw data that WLfW creates on the pc.
3) If the 6313 console can't store data in case of an internet outage then I suppose the WLfW install would cover that since that PC is on a battery UPS.

Now I'm weighing whether or not it's worth my time and effort to dedicate a PC for WLfW when I can possibly get the same data from the weatherview.com site; albiet maybe more clumsily, guessing.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2024, 01:04:13 PM »
Well, WLfW is also unsupported software now, at least in the sense of there being no further active development. That said, it still works fine and obviously does all that the program ever did. But its user interface is quite dated now and it will never have any new features. Weatherlink.com is the Davis 'software' these days.

CumulusMX is a good alternative to WLfW.

What makes you think that the 6313 console is dependent on Internet connectivity to keep storing data?? The 6313 will store data locally for eg 20 years or more. It is only dependent on mains power, or more accurately if mains power is lost for say 12 hours or more. Anyone relying on the 6313 console for storing local data should consider running it through a UPS for longer resilience to a mains outage.  But you cannot currently get data out of the 6313 console, other than via uploads to weatherlink.com
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline marklyn

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2024, 01:18:29 PM »
Yes,  the WLfW interface did seem quite dated and I didn't realize they stopped updating it.  That would change my opinion of whether or not to use it for sure.
I did some high level research on CumulusMX and DisplayWeather to see if that could replace VWS so I might consider one of those if they are still being updated and also provide the local data I can get to.  Now for a deep dive into those two products.  But if I can use an API from the weatherlink site to get the same type of data, averages, etc. I was getting from VWS local data then it might be a moot point as to whether or not I need a VWS software replacement.

I'm glad you mentioned the 6313 storing data.  I will have to re-investigate that again.  It must have some type of data logger built into it like the 6312 does.  We also keep good batteries in it so I'm hoping that in the case of an extended power outage, more than a day or so, it would still be able to collect the data and upload it when the power returns (although my router and google fiber are on a UPS).
Thanks for your insight. I've done a fair amount of research into these questions and didn't come across answers as straightforward as what you're providing. But, I will definitely pursue to gain a better understanding of the 6313 data logging capabilities.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2024, 03:11:26 PM »
Here's an overview of the 6313 console that I maintain:

https://www.manula.com/manuals/pws/davis-kb/1/en/topic/davis-6313-weatherlink-console

In a sense, it has logger functionality built into it, but no discrete logger is needed. It is effectively a local computer in itself (at least in the same sense that any tablet is) and so is perfectly capable of using its CPU/RAM/storage to compute historical data records and then to store them long-term. The only limitation is that you are stuck with the data handling features, display, graphing etc for historical data that Davis builds into it. So you don't have the flexibility to try different programs according to personal preference or have a much wider set of features that programs like CumulusMX or WD provide or export data locally (other than via the weatherlink.com v2 API).

« Last Edit: March 04, 2024, 04:09:36 PM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline marklyn

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2024, 04:36:30 PM »
That is an excellent write up, thank you for that!
Yes, I see what you're saying now.
I'll have to research my options for trying to either save data with the VP2 console/USB connection to something like CumulusMX/DisplayWeather or WLfW if the data is stored locally or readable.  I'm going to install the WLfW soon so I'll see what's possible myself.  It may turn out I get the data from the WU or WL cloud, again, looking into it.
Thanks again for all of your help and insight.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2024, 09:42:43 PM »
Could also put a MB NanoSD in the #6312, then have the capability to upload to just about anywhere you like and create basically any sort of output format you like including direct uploads to many of the standard weather pages you like. This would include direct download into WLfW or upload/ and download from Weather.com
« Last Edit: March 04, 2024, 09:44:24 PM by Mattk »

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2024, 11:01:16 PM »
HI,
[quote}
marklyn wrote:
Lastly, referencing the attached screen shot.  When I set up the new station (North Austin Quail Hollow...), This was clearly the new 6313 since I recall naming that in the last couple of months when I set it up.  What I labeled as LC Vantage Pro2 must really be incorrectly named and probably should be named "ISS"?  I'm asking because I'm trying to understand why there is a separation of the two sets of data in the two as shown in the screen capture.If you read this far, thanks.  I didn't find anything that clearly explains this relationship in the documentation for both consoles and in Weatherlink.

Similar to your attached image, mine shows on both my two weatherlink.com accounts.

One WL.com account being uploaded by weatherlinkIP and that has 2 items:
1. "My weather station name" and 5 items:
Barometer, Inside Temp/Hum, Local Forecast, Sunset/Rise, Moon Phase which are basically the inside old-style console data
and
2. "Weather Station" and that has 11 items:
Temp, Hum, Wind items, Rain, Solar, ET, UV, which are all the outside (ISS) sensors and THWS index

My second WL.com account being uploaded by a Weatherlink Live device and has 3 items:
1. "My WLL station name" and 5 items:
Local Forecast, Sunset/Sunrise, Moon Phase, Inside Temp/Hum, Barometer which are the inside WLL device data
and
2. "Komoka Weather ISS"
with the 11 outside sensors and THW and THSW index
3. "Airlink" and its 9 data items

Any one or combination of those items can be selected to show on the "data" table or "chart" with a WL.com Pro account.  Can make for a busy chart!

I may be wrong, but the way I understand Weatherlink.com is that there is a separate station on your account for each type of upload device, i.e. IP-logger, WeatherlinkPC with Weatherlink USB or serial logger, Weatherlink Live, and now the Weatherlink Console.  And then there is a Basic vs Pro device tiers (and also Pro +).

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2024, 05:01:12 AM »
I may be wrong, but the way I understand Weatherlink.com is that there is a separate station on your account for each type of upload device, i.e. IP-logger, WeatherlinkPC with Weatherlink USB or serial logger, Weatherlink Live, and now the Weatherlink Console.  And then there is a Basic vs Pro device tiers (and also Pro +).

Not just each type of upload device, but each individual upload device will only upload to its own station at wl.com. So 2 or more upload devices of the same type must each upload to their own station. In other words, you can never have 2 devices uploading to the same station at wl.com (though Airlink is a special case).

By my count, the number of different upload device types is now up to 8: 6100 WLL; 6313 WLC; WLIP; Weatherlink software; Connect; EM gateway; EM IP gateway; Airlink.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

anything