Author Topic: Moved 8600 miles? Gladstonefamily.net Location or Elevation Problem  (Read 4890 times)

Offline jerryg

• Forecaster
  • weather is never boring
    • victoria texas weather
I got a whole bunch of red stuff saying my station moved 8600 miles and at an elevation of over 11,000 feet in central Asia  :lol:. I haven't moved in over 40 years that i know of, so maybe i am really there and just having a senior moment  :lol:. I just sent the correction to get back in Texas. Wonder how in the heck they came up with that error.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 06:03:31 AM by galfert »

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
    • Southern Maryland Weather
Re: Moved 8600 miles?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 06:41:18 AM »
Most likely the magnetic poles have drastically shifted or the GPS satellites have also..... :lol:

Offline jerryg

• Forecaster
    • victoria texas weather
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 08:17:25 AM »
 :lol:

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 09:03:46 AM »
I think the Gladstonefamily.net registration database has been reset. MADIS and MesoWest are correct. In my case my station is now showing my original registered elevation. I changed my elevation within a week of when I registered. It has now revereted to showing that original elevation.

For now I'm going to take the hands off approach and see if they restore the proper location/elevation to the most current. Hopefully they (Philip Gladstone) will catch their mistake. This can't be an isolated incident. I bet this has affected a lot of people.

Anyone else seeing this issue?

This seems to be a Gladstonefamily.net issue only. If you email CWOP-support @NOAA they will be confused because their records have not changed.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 09:23:15 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2019, 12:45:53 PM »
So I had to check if I moved too.  :lol:  I'm still here.
Randy

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2019, 12:09:22 AM »
I got a response back from Philip Gladstone. He has confirmed that the problem is just on Gladstonefamily.net. Well this issue we see is the result of having lost access to the current registration data from wxqa.com (CWOP). He's on it. No ETA.

From Philip:

Argh! I've pinged the people at wxqa.com -- it turns out that I can't access the current registration data and so the backend scripts have reverted to using an old cached version.... This seemed like a reasonable plan at the time 😟
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 11:10:34 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline zackdog

• Forecaster
    • Winter Park Highlands Web cams
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2019, 06:35:02 PM »
I made the mistake of checking my location.  ](*,)  The last time I checked, don't know how long ago, it was fine.  It is now showing up 3-4 miles due east.

I tried following the instructions and dragged icon to the correct place on the map.  It is supposed to also show the coordinates of the new point, but it just drags the coordinates of the wrong point.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

I went to MesoWest and it is also wrong.

Tried using FindU location and get this.

I have a Garmin GPS and know the actual coordinates of my location.

N 40°00'25.1"
W105°53'09.1"

I sent these in the comments when I tried the correction.  Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Mark
"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows." - Dylan

Vantage Pro2 Plus w/ 24 hr FARS and (2) VantageVues

VP2 uploading via Vue console to CWOP, WU, PWS, and Weathercloud.

Offline jerryg

• Forecaster
    • victoria texas weather
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2019, 06:59:49 PM »
I corrected mine but it still shows me over in China somewhere at 11,000 feet all my near by stations are in india or china except one which is a couple hundred miles west of me, totally screwed up and has been that way for quite some time.

Offline zackdog

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2019, 07:42:07 PM »
Further investigation shows that I have been trying to correct it since 2007 with no results.  Even WU shows me on the correct location on the map.

I give up. ](*,) ](*,)

Mark

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2019, 11:13:14 PM »
Go to Gladstone and drag the icon to correct location use the snipping tool collecting all coordinates and send an image to Leigh Cheatwood-Harris - NOAA Affiliate <leigh.k.cheatwood@noaa.gov>

Explain what's going on. I had to do this to fix my location issue. 
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2019, 07:51:10 AM »
 I spoke too soon.  Registered location changed overnight to the wrong location again and when I try to correct with APRS location the javascript won't work. This has turned into a nightmare.

So APRS is correct but the registered location is wrong and findu adjustment won't work.

https://weather.gladstonefamily.net/site/E3958?address=723+Candice+St+W%2C+Valentine%2C+NE+69201%2C+USA&Send=Move+Marker#
Randy

Offline jerryg

• Forecaster
    • victoria texas weather
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2019, 10:27:20 AM »
Well i just don't know what to do, i checked the aprs location and it is right and the location shown on the quality check is right and i finally found a problem when i was looking at my location on mesowest the location is missing the - sign so it puts me on the other side of the globe. I have no idea how to get that right, where do they get their location info from? If they get it from some other source then that is where the error is but all my info is correct. I noticed the info being uploaded by my wd software had  the location info changed. I just put the right info back in so i hope that will get it right, the old info had some info right but no - sign. I have had trouble with my info changing when w10 does an update so i got the auto update turned off now but it changes stuff at random and i never know what is what. I got my fingers crossed that the correct location info on the cwop upload will correct the problem.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2019, 11:03:02 AM »
I sent another email this time to Gladstone but the address looks more like a spam dump.  I CC Leigh Cheatwood also.
Randy

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2019, 11:04:23 AM »
I already said this once but perhaps I was not clear. There is nothing you can do. Gladstonefamily registration database is messed up. Only Philip can fix this.

Essentially Gladstonefamily has lost access to the registration database from wxqa.com and has reverted to a very old version of the registration database. Any effort you do to try and correct it is not going to work because the process implemented assumes that the registration database is linked from wxqa.com to Gladstonefamily (and it isn't currently). Therefore when you submit for a location correction (or elevation correction) that request gets sent to NOAA and well they update it on their end.....but Gladstonefamily does not get that update back.

Essentially many of you are submitting to corrections but the database with wxqa.com is probably already correct. The problem is that you are seeing an old version of the database and it doesn't get updated.

Hence ...nothing anyone can do. Only Philip can fix this. He has attempted to reach the people that run wxqa.com and gotten no response.

CWOP is a complicated system of many pieces run by many different people/organizations. Gladstonefamily is just one of the pieces.
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2019, 11:07:05 AM »
I sent another email this time to Gladstone but the address looks more like a spam dump.  I CC Leigh Cheatwood also.

You can't email Gladstone...it doesn't work...or there is never any reply. I have a different way of contacting Philip. You can see I've quoted him above. I've asked him for an update on this situation.
Tele-Pole

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2019, 11:13:44 AM »
Not surprising It didn't look like a real address.  This is a mess, I guess we won't be adding any new CWOP stations anytime soon.
Randy

Offline n1dq

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2019, 03:40:05 PM »
I spoke too soon.  Registered location changed overnight to the wrong location again and when I try to correct with APRS location the javascript won't work. This has turned into a nightmare.

So APRS is correct but the registered location is wrong and findu adjustment won't work.

The data that I got from NOAA for your location information is :

#  Report prepared (MST): 11/01/2019 16:57
EW3958|E3958|EW3958 Valentine                  NE US|2579|42.88333| -100.5495|GMT|||1||||

Are you saying that the longitude here is incorrect? It isn't the same as your APRS location.

From looking at the update history, it appears that you last submitted a location change on Monday oct 28th that moved you to a different longitude:

New for E3958  42.88340 -100.54135     42° 53' 00" N   100° 32' 29" W

I think (from your message) that this change *was* reflected and then vanished. If so, then I'm as puzzled as you. I have no idea why that change would have dropped out of the current database. Unfortunately, my tracking of all changes stopped working when I migrated databases (the triggers that maintained the audit trail got lost -- I'm trying to get them restored).

Also, I'm sorry that I haven't been as responsive as usual -- things have been piling up at my day job.....

Yes, I know that I need to redo the map stuff -- it hasn;t worked since google wanted to charge me around $3k per month to use the map! The issue is that having aerial images is important for airfields, and I haven't found a low cost way of doing that.

Philip

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2019, 06:43:51 PM »
Hi Phillip, first thank you for responding. I made the first request to restore the station to active but Leigh Cheatwood said he didn't get a move request so I made the mistake of using Google earth it put me at the wrong current location.

I tried several other requests to move but the only time Leigh would respond to request was direct email. I sent him the exact coordinates in an image because copy and paste wouldn't work so the change was made.
For 2 days I was at the correct location and today I was back at the incorrect location. 

This was image off Mesowest on Oct 31 as you can see the move was correct on the street and stayed good until today. I'm currently back down off the hill.

And should be near the red X on the street.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 02:14:36 PM by ValentineWeather »
Randy

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2019, 08:34:57 PM »
I think (from your message) that this change *was* reflected and then vanished. If so, then I'm as puzzled as you. I have no idea why that change would have dropped out of the current database. Unfortunately, my tracking of all changes stopped working when I migrated databases (the triggers that maintained the audit trail got lost -- I'm trying to get them restored).
With my station FW3708 my elevation is wrong as it is showing my original elevation when I first registered. Shortly after I registered (over a year ago) I emailed CWOP-support at NOAA and got my elevation changed. That change was quickly reflected in Gladstonefamily and has been correct for over a year....then just last month that correction has disappeared and vanished and it has reverted to the original elevation. It seems like your database is only reflecting original registration info and ignoring or not getting updated changes or it lost those changes.

Also, I'm sorry that I haven't been as responsive as usual -- things have been piling up at my day job.....
Hey thanks for making into this thread and responding to my reaching out to you. We appreciate your hard work and we don't expect things to be fixed overnight.

Yes, I know that I need to redo the map stuff -- it hasn;t worked since google wanted to charge me around $3k per month to use the map! The issue is that having aerial images is important for airfields, and I haven't found a low cost way of doing that.

Philip
Have you looked into OpenStreetMap to see if that would work? I can live with the Google "for development purposes only" maps. So I wouldn't say this is critical. I think it would be more important to see why recently the MADIS wind analysis is not working and why sometimes analysis data disappears when looking at previous calendar days. The strange part about the missing analysis is that it shows up in the first part of the graph but disappears in the second half of the graph...and this is pretty consistent for just about any calendar day you choose. I think this is probably tied to why wind analysis breaks.
Tele-Pole

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2019, 09:52:25 AM »
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2019, 11:32:05 AM »
I just summited another location change.
Its marked as user:
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2019, 09:34:29 PM »
The location change was made once again and showing up correctly on mesowest maps.  I did receive a confirmation by NOAA's Leigh Cheatwood but the registered position on Gladstonefamily hasn't moved. Check link..
What happened last time the station eventually moved back to the registered on Gladstone after a few days.  ](*,)  The APRS is correct but for an unknown reason the registered stays incorrect.

https://weather.gladstonefamily.net/site/E3958?

Randy

Offline zackdog

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2019, 11:44:19 AM »
WOW!  Just looked and my location on CWOP is finally correct.  [tup] Hope it stays that way.

Mark

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2019, 04:15:56 PM »
I'm looking good today also. Fingers crossed. APRS and registered are the same location.

I'm not sure what's going on with  Jerry, his still shows registered station in China. I know you also have to have the upload software coordinates correct is only thing I can think of.  Missing a  (-) sign or something like that.
Randy

Offline jerryg

• Forecaster
    • victoria texas weather
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2019, 05:33:18 PM »
I just reentered the coordinates and will see what happens, strange i get two google maps on quality check page, one in china and the other is correct.