Author Topic: Hydreon totally missed rainfall  (Read 5384 times)

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
Hydreon totally missed rainfall
« on: October 31, 2016, 08:36:34 AM »
After years of flawless operation, the Hydreon RG-11 completely missed a rainfall totalling 0.04" on the CoCoRaHS and TBR gauges. I rely on the Hydreon to record start/stop times for my CoCoRaHS report.

I saw that there is a "crazed" area in the optic dome "lens". It is not cracked or anything. I treated the dome with Plexus and tried sprinkling water and it seems to be working OK now. It picked up some rainfall overnight, so I am hoping that the Plexus treatment fixed it. I see that I can get a replacement lens for $20.

Esteemed colleagues, do I need to get a replacement lens? Has anyone else (especially in the Southwest) had the lens deteriorate to the point that it will no longer record drops. I am using the 0.001"/tip emulation mode.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
Re: Hydreon totally missed rainfall
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 01:18:08 PM »
After years of flawless operation, the Hydreon RG-11 completely missed a rainfall totalling 0.04" on the CoCoRaHS and TBR gauges. I rely on the Hydreon to record start/stop times for my CoCoRaHS report.

I saw that there is a "crazed" area in the optic dome "lens". It is not cracked or anything. I treated the dome with Plexus and tried sprinkling water and it seems to be working OK now. It picked up some rainfall overnight, so I am hoping that the Plexus treatment fixed it. I see that I can get a replacement lens for $20.

Esteemed colleagues, do I need to get a replacement lens? Has anyone else (especially in the Southwest) had the lens deteriorate to the point that it will no longer record drops. I am using the 0.001"/tip emulation mode.

Greg H.

Plexus seems to have revived this as far as function goes, but there is still a "bad spot" that is crazed. I'll keep an eye on it for now.

Greg H.

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 02:17:22 PM »
It's probably polycarbonate. You could try any of a bunch of plastic polishing compounds. Even one of those kits sold for refinishing headlights.

Got a picture to share? I hope it's not as bad as my Stratus gauge.

Chris

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 03:43:58 PM »
For headlamps I have used a bit of metal polish in the past - works a treat, if it is only on the very top surface even toothpaste can work. No need to buy special polishing kits if you have any of that stuff lying around to try.

For longevity though, you need some sort of UV protective layer applying after polishing. Decent car waxes usually have a UV protection factor, but you have to keep reapplying them.
Mark

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 03:52:50 PM »
It's probably polycarbonate. You could try any of a bunch of plastic polishing compounds. Even one of those kits sold for refinishing headlights.

Got a picture to share? I hope it's not as bad as my Stratus gauge.

Chris

I'll try to get one if we get a sunnier day. It is kind of gloomy here in NE Lower Michigan, overcast.

Greg H.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2016, 03:50:48 PM »
By the time I thought to look at it, the Hydreon is in the shade.
I don't see anything that looks like what I saw before, I think that the Plexus must have filled the crazing and it is no longer visible.

Greg H.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2016, 01:22:56 PM »
OK, I had a sunny day today and the sun was shining directly on the Hydreon. This is the condition where you can see the crazing issue. Note that this is much better than it was prior to the Plexus treatment. Hydreon3web.jpg is the best photo showing a circular hazy area.

Greg H.

anything