Author Topic: 2nd RG-11 installed  (Read 6075 times)

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
2nd RG-11 installed
« on: October 10, 2011, 03:48:31 PM »
My second RG-11 arrived last Friday, and I got it installed on the weather post. The first one is still running as a 0.001" rain gauge, the new one is in "It's raining" mode.

I should have put them on the same side of the post. I was going to add an 8" tipping bucket for fun.

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
Re: 2nd RG-11 installed
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 02:51:33 PM »
Nice setup. So do the sensors integrate into the VP2 or do they read on a seperate display?
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
Re: 2nd RG-11 installed
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 03:03:21 PM »
Nice setup. So do the sensors integrate into the VP2 or do they read on a seperate display?

One currently is set up as a 0.001" (thousandths) tipping bucket emulator currently connected to a NovaLynx counter. That one will be converted to Irrigation Mode and wired straight to the sprinkler/drip controller by the end of the rainy season.

The other one is in "It's raining" mode, and is wired to an input on our home automation system for control and notification when it starts raining.

You COULD connect the output of an RG-11 in 0.01" rain gauge mode to the RAIN input on a VP2 ISS. However, they are less accurate than a TB, and would require a separate power supply. The ISS won't supply enough power to run it.